Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Zastava MP22

Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    If you wanted to you could use some turpentine and a clean rag, stiff nylon brush(checkering) to prep before oiling.
    Thanks i think ill try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    Going to look at mine... Can you post pics 45CAT?

Here’s mine...

Attachment 254045
    Sorry don’t know how to post pics. But your screw- bolts look good. The gentlemen below you does a better description than me. The hidden one is under he rear of the trigger guard

Update on my stock. Rubbed with turpentine then I rubbed it really hard with some steel wool until all the rough spots were smooth. Coated with tung oil and its looking and feeling way better. I will probably do more coats but even after just 1 its way nicer. Highly recommend.
    Last edited by zackstab; 03-18-2019 at 03:37 AM.

Did you strip the original finish?

Quote Originally Posted by Mik123 View Post
    Did you strip the original finish?
    The only "stripping" i did was rubbing it with turpentine. That took off some of it. I did not do any sanding. Stock was very dry. Possible completely bare. The tung oil took extremely well. Keep in mind this stock is walnut so even when its bare it is decently dark. These stocks came barely finished if at all... They were probably finished with 1 coat of natural varnish or something

Edit: third coat is on and it is looking beautiful. I highly recommend sanding the inside of the stock (it looks like someone chiseled it by hand lol) and applying a coat of finish to the inside just to kep out moisture.
    Last edited by zackstab; 03-18-2019 at 03:37 AM.

My stock is quiet dry as well. I'll probably going to refinish mine as well. I'm assuming you didn't recut the checkering? That's something I'd like to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by zackstab View Post
    The only "stripping" i did was rubbing it with polyurethane. That took off some of it. I did not do any sanding. Stock was very dry. Possible completely bare. The tung oil took extremely well. Keep in mind this stock is walnut so even when its bare it is decently dark. These stocks came barely finished if at all... They were probably finished with 1 coat of natural varnish or something

Edit: third coat is on and it is looking beautiful. I highly recommend sanding the inside of the stock (it looks like someone chiseled it by hand lol) and applying a coat of finish to the inside just to kep out moisture.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik123 View Post
    My stock is quiet dry as well. I'll probably going to refinish mine as well. I'm assuming you didn't recut the checkering? That's something I'd like to avoid.
    I just used the turpentine with a toothbrush and then did the same toothbrush with the tung oil. Seems to have worked well. Just rub vigorously with a soft bristle.
    Last edited by zackstab; 03-18-2019 at 03:36 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    I doubt you used polyurethane....

Maybe you used poly strip? Polyurethane is the opposite of what you want for a strip/prep before oiling a stock..... Turpentine,Mineral spirits,Naptha or even Isopropyl alcohol would also work.

Since the factory finish is so weak, even a water based Low VOC Eco type stripper should work well..... no need for the heavy duty furniture strippers.
    Last edited by Can-down; 03-18-2019 at 03:17 AM.
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    I doubt you used polyurethane....

Maybe you used poly strip? Polyurethane is the opposite of what you want for a strip/prep before oiling a stock..... Turpentine,Mineral spirits,Naptha or even Isopropyl alcohol would also work.

Since the factory finish is so weak, even a water based Low VOC Eco type stripper should work well..... no need for the heavy duty furniture strippers.
    Youre right i used turpentine. Need to pay more attention when I write these things lol. Hopefully no one used polyurthane ...

Thanks guys, I'll hopefully have a chance to hit the range this week, after that I'll take a shot at making her pretty.