Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tactical Bolt Knob Remmy 700 DIY Project

Business Member

Tactical Bolt Knob Remmy 700 DIY Project

Many of my clients at my PR Matches in Garrison Petawawa that shoot Remmy 700 factory rigs are always asking me about bolt handle upgrades , extended and beefier knobs sure help during the rapid bolt cycling stages of our shoots.

“Buy a Tikka,” I should respond.....

Or maybe,

“Buy a Savage,” but I am going to avoid being facetious.....so if you happen to have already found a good deal on a Remmy 700 type of Precision Rifle, here’s an option!

I realize the tried and true methods of sending your bolt (takes time and shipping $$) to a gunsmith can be prohibitive to a new shooter. This process is sometimes beyond their comfort zone(s) and I can understand why. Hey , they are newbies, it’s all good....

In the past I have employed the services of Super gunsmiths like Casey at TacOrd north of Newmarket here in Ontario and Accurate Arms just outside Calgary, and Rick at ATRS. Board sponsors like Insite Arms can also get you going along this needed upgrade.

For the DIY kinda fellow, you could look into the KRG Bolt Handle upgrade (Google that product) found in Go Big Tactical’s inventories. They are also a very active board sponsor here on CGNutz.

I looked into their polymer bolt knob that retails for $39.99 or something like that. I have a bunch of clients that have gone that route. They also come in a variety of different polymer friendly colours.

I wanted a bolt extension knob that was a tad longer so I sourced this baby from eBay and had three of them delivered to a cousin of mine across the border in Murica!

Attachment 248324

Name:  73DDAE5A-331F-45A5-8AA0-098F3694B631.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  75.7 KB

Then I brought them home and began the install. As you can see the factory bolts are removed and rifle proved SAFE. Then I show both front and rear of clamshell packaging. Everything you need to make the install happen is included. Oh , yeah they are aluminum so on can really work this knob extension with enthusiasm.

Attachment 248325

Now to use the flash. Silly me. That’s my 260 Remmy barreled SPS Stainless...I took an SPS barrel found here on EE forum and had my guardian angel gunsmith cut and crown it to 18.5”.

Attachment 248326

Here’s a closer picture of the product. See the two halves of the extension? One of them has the countersinking arrangement for the 2 x 7/64” drive screws. The instructions are very straightforward and they did suggest to “dry” fit everything and looser fits can /will / may employ the one of two O rings.

Attachment 248327

Heres what you get with the package:

Attachment 248328

They even include the Allen wrench in 7/64” size. How thoughtful is that?

Trial fitting of the bolt knob halves and screwing down one side at a time. Both halves will wiggle for a while until tension increases. Your bolt knob fit will vary depending upon the previous age or wear. Like I mentioned somewhere on here, three bolt handles were upgraded and only the ONE needed to employ the O rings. I was really pleased with the fit of the two knobs that didn’t need an O ring.

Actually now that I think of it, that blued handle of the SPS Tac 223 May experience rust problems somewhere down the course of the season I will rub candle wax all over that bolt knob 360*. My wife has dozens of candles all around the house...for you military members or veterans, Kiwi Neutral Shoe Polish comes to mind. For you automotive lovers/ types, just use Carnauba Wax. A thin layer will prevent any rusting!

Attachment 248331

There’s no wiggling whatsoever and that tells you the physical installation is pretty well done. For the record, I upgraded three bolt handles and ONE used the two O rings provided.

Now to test for stock and scope eye piece conflict. I’m loving it so far! This picture shows my 260 deer gun which will be wearing a Vortex SPARC2 during deer rifle season. No bolt handle / optics conflict there.

I did test my wife’s SPS 700 Remmy Tac that’s got a Bushy Mildot 10x40mm scope while in the basement workshop and all is golden, keep your shooting PAL holding wife happy!!

Attachment 248334

I am super pleased that no conflicts were present with the bolt knob extensions and their surrounding optics.

Door to door, the knobs ran about $50 each landed here. I cannot complain. The upside to all this is that because of my rifle ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder ) and my tendency to build rigs and them sell them because of my silliness, these upgraded aluminum bolt knob extensions can be removed and carried on to my next Remmy.

I really should look into a Tikka or Savage since their bolt knob upgrades are a great deal more straightforward.

And then there are the Bergara rifles sold by Board Sponsors Bullseye in London, ON and Wolverine Supplies in Virden, MB; And also other board sponsors here in our super community of CGNutz

Hope this can help the upgrade fun with your Remmy 700!

Cheers, Barney
    Last edited by TacticalTeacher; 04-29-2019 at 03:22 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aprilia Man's Avatar
    I've been looking into those eBay for a few months now. They cannot ship to Canada.

What's the best way to those here?
    CCFR MDRGC

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar
    I've got one sitting at a mailbox across the border but I'm pretty sure it's on the no go list.

Quote Originally Posted by Aprilia Man View Post
    I've been looking into those eBay for a few months now. They cannot ship to Canada.

Eh?

The one I was looking at on eBay ships to Canada.

Remington 700 Black Aluminum Bolt Knob, Savage Tactical bolt knob 2 X 3/4

Shipping:
    Will ship to Canada. Read item description or contact seller for shipping options. | See details

Item location:
    Massachusetts, United States

Ships to:
    United States, Europe, Canada, Mexico

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aprilia Man View Post

Get to know your cousins in ‘Murica’

Then go and pay them a visit.

Now about those bolt knobs that ship to Canada, read their description carefully since that product my just be that knob that needs to be screwed on to the “turned down” bolt handle to the tune of 5/16” x 24 turns.

Cheers, Barney

Corlanes sporting goods in Dawson Creek is a stocking dealer! Great product!
    ht tps://corlanes.com/firearm-accessories/krg-products/
    CSSA member.
    CCFR member.
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum. "

I bought 5 from mdt on black Friday. Got them for 20 each. Small win

I would be very careful bringing those across the line. On the Canadian side it's fine but if you get stopped on the US side you are in all kinds of trouble. Not worth the risk imo.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chumlee Bumsnag's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blueskies View Post
    I would be very careful bringing those across the line. On the Canadian side it's fine but if you get stopped on the US side you are in all kinds of trouble. Not worth the risk imo.
    Exactly. I had one sent to my mailbox in Blaine WA. but I'm not going to chance bringing it across. Anything that attaches to the firearm that assists loading or function is no go. I didn't do my homework before I ordered it.

Business Member
    Well, better play things safe and send your bolt to smiths like Guntech and Grech Outdoors!

They know how to do the grind / turn down and thread approach! You can always buy a KRG bolt handle extension from Go Big Tactical here on CGNutz!

Be safe out there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast