Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: .458 SOCOM 18.6" AR-15 barrel order- gauging interest

I'd be interested in 450 bushmaster.

Not interested myself but that's because I already have a .458 Socom build and I would highly recommend it! Large selection of jacketed bullets available and you can cast your own from one of the many .458 diameter molds that are out there. My own cast hand loads run great in semi-auto, lots of fun! Nothing like the kick from a super hot load with 325gr Hornady FTX bullets or a softer load sending 400gr lead bullets down range in semi-auto! The .458 Socom also uses standard 5.56 magazines, so if you have some 10 round XCR-L magazines you can fit 4 rounds of Socom in there!

I would be interested in a brake as well as a thread protector as that is what I am missing since the thread for the Socom is scarce here.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Brake and thread protector off a Ruger American ranch (450 bushmaster) would likely work
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spcamno View Post
    I am on the fence between the 458socom and the 450bushmaster for an ar build any particular reason to choose socom vs bushmaster?

Thanks
    I may be wrong, but it seems that 450 bushmaster stuff is more available relatively to each other, but they are both expensive to play with. You can size 458 socom projectiles to 450 bushmaster, but you cant go the other way around. 458 seems to be more expensive in general and is listed under specialty brass on starline's website. Keep in mind that the effective range on both of these calibers are under 300 yards, if you want something that has greater reach its better to go with an AR-10 platform you can get much more powerful cartridges on the AR-10 for the price you'd be paying for less if not equal and ammo is widely available especially if you don't reload.

Personally I'd be in for a 450 if my SLR ever comes in

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomAR View Post
    I may be wrong, but it seems that 450 bushmaster stuff is more available relatively to each other, but they are both expensive to play with. You can size 458 socom projectiles to 450 bushmaster, but you cant go the other way around. 458 seems to be more expensive in general and is listed under specialty brass on starline's website. Keep in mind that the effective range on both of these calibers are under 300 yards, if you want something that has greater reach its better to go with an AR-10 platform you can get much more powerful cartridges on the AR-10 for the price you'd be paying for less if not equal and ammo is widely available especially if you don't reload.

Personally I'd be in for a 450 if my SLR ever comes in
    Greater reach is subjective, 223 can be pushed well past 300yds but it is for paper, not animals at those distances.

The rem 30ar is the highest performing round on game that can be stuffed into an AR15 size action (I have done it). It also has 5 different loadings available from remington.

I am actually surprised people will do a 458, or beo when it is virtually reload only in comparison
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    .458 SOCOM uses the same bullet diameter as .45-70. Plenty of bullet options exist. Not a lot of factory ammo, but I intend to reload for it.

The main factor that swayed me towards the .458 is the case design; it's a bottleneck vs a straight wall with the .450 bushmaster. You're really pushing the AR-15 bolt capacity with such a large cartridge (not much material left under the lugs), and I would think that a bottleneck cartridge would be less prone to headspace issues, and the resulting potential overpressure if it's not right.

.450 BM bolt face:

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty454 View Post
    .458 SOCOM uses the same bullet diameter as .45-70. Plenty of bullet options exist. Not a lot of factory ammo, but I intend to reload for it.

The main factor that swayed me towards the .458 is the case design; it's a bottleneck vs a straight wall with the .450 bushmaster. You're really pushing the AR-15 bolt capacity with such a large cartridge (not much material left under the lugs), and I would think that a bottleneck cartridge would be less prone to headspace issues, and the resulting potential overpressure if it's not right.

.450 BM bolt face:

The 458 and 450 have the same rim diameter?, they also run similar psi on factory loading. If you load it hot you are asking for it without running a stronger bolt from AR performance or having one made from a stronger alloy.

Either caliber runs around 38,000psi. My 30rar is factory loaded to 55,000psi and was proof tested with an additional 20% over charge. The custom bolt held up fine and so did the rest of the rifle. And that is with a .492 rim vs the .473 of the 458/450

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kingjenky's Avatar
    Have you ever showcased your 30rar in a thread Brian?? I’d like to see/hear about it,!,
    We are all so politically correct!!!! its gonna ruin us all......

Quote Originally Posted by Kingjenky View Post
    Have you ever showcased your 30rar in a thread Brian?? I’d like to see/hear about it,!,
    Thread starts with the 450, then goes on to the 30rar closer to the end

https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/foru...ght=Bushmaster

I will probably build a lighter 30rar when ATRS production catches up with orders/has product available for immediate sale