Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: .458 SOCOM 18.6" AR-15 barrel order- gauging interest

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar

.458 SOCOM 18.6" AR-15 barrel order- gauging interest

I've been emailing back and forth with Zach from True North Arms about getting a NR length (18.6") .458 SOCOM AR barrel in. 11/16" 24TPI muzzle thread. He estimated cost for 1 stainless match barrel at $499 CAD. 2-5 month lead time.

He mentioned that cost would be lower if a multiple piece order was placed, so I figured I'd see if anyone here would be interested. He said he wouldn't do a pre-order as the are many uncertainties with manufacturing and import; didn't want to disappoint anyone. So he'd rather just place an order if there's enough interest, and then just put them up for regular sale when they come in.

Anyone interested? Build a big thumper for your SLR or Modern Sporter :D
    Last edited by Scotty454; 02-22-2019 at 04:34 AM. Reason: Forgot some info

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

I am definitely interested. What about the bolt head or complete bolt carrier also? It is different than the .223 right?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Scotty454's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Magmalis View Post
    I am definitely interested. What about the bolt head or complete bolt carrier also? It is different than the .223 right?
    Yup, base is quite a bit bigger than .223. TNA sells .458 bolts I think, and then you can just buy whatever carrier.

Zach said they could also bring in bolts and brakes. Could probably work that out if they if go ahead with a barrel order.

Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast!

I am on the fence between the 458socom and the 450bushmaster for an ar build any particular reason to choose socom vs bushmaster?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spcamno View Post
    I am on the fence between the 458socom and the 450bushmaster for an ar build any particular reason to choose socom vs bushmaster?

Thanks
    Interested in this as well.

A bit interested . Did he say who will manufacture the barrels ?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer G.Mitchell's Avatar
    Bullet selection is the big difference I think.

Believe .458 Socom uses rifle bullets where .450 Bushmaster uses pistol bullets.

I am interested in a .458 Socom build too.
    Looking for members in Grande Prairie Alberta interested in wilderness skills, survival skills, camping, prepping, shooting, etc.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spcamno View Post

Thanks
    I went with bushmaster based on the availability of legal 5rnd magazines and choices of available ammunition in Canada. When I did mine there was only Remington and Hornady, now there is also winchester, federal and some other smaller companies. Remington is also going to be releasing some different bullets and weights later this year. Socom is basically reload only right now and for the foreseeable future
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Mitchell View Post
    Bullet selection is the big difference I think.

Believe .458 Socom uses rifle bullets where .450 Bushmaster uses pistol bullets.

I am interested in a .458 Socom build too.
    The loadings out there from companies I already mentioned above are rifle loadings as this caliber has taken off because of hunting regulations in the USA which allow it to be used in a shotgun season unlike the 458
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

I'm in.

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast