Page 29 of 79 FirstFirst ... 91921222324252627282930313233343536373949 ... LastLast

Thread: Ballistic Plates Incoming

Quote Originally Posted by AITacticalSolutions View Post
    We hear you guys and we are working as fast as we can. But to tide you all over here are some of the photos from testing

Aluminum Level IV hit with a .30-06. Only 11mm of back face deformation on the plate and around 23mm in the clay. Also we found out that all these plates are of a tiled construction, so they should be multi hit.
    Attachment 261606
    Attachment 261607
    Distance fired / projectile used / velocity ? was NIJ test replicated ( which uses a single shoot test barrel / jig ) ? FYI the clay must have steel ball dropped into it from prescribed height and is the measured to obtain proper depth / your replication is far from valid and somewhat miss-leading if your looking to obtain true data & clay reacts differently if not kept at prescribed temperature / plus the plate is supposed to be shoot with a 30-06 M2 AP round which is the current prescribed test round

gadget
    War Is Never Undertaken by an Ideal State, Except in Defence of its Honour, or its Safety

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget View Post
    Distance fired / projectile used / velocity ? was NIJ test replicated ( which uses a single shoot test barrel / jig ) ? FYI the clay must have steel ball dropped into it from prescribed height and is the measured to obtain proper depth / your replication is far from valid and somewhat miss-leading if your looking to obtain true data & clay reacts differently if not kept at prescribed temperature / plus the plate is supposed to be shoot with a 30-06 M2 AP round which is the current prescribed test round

gadget
    Firstly we are never claiming that we where going to replicate NIJ testing standards perfectly. The whole point of this was to prove that the plates work. Which we are now convinced that they do. Second we have the NIJ testing reports and this was mostly to ensure that we where comfortable selling these products. It’s a manufacturer we hadn’t dealt with before and this was a way of keeping them honest. Finally I will give you the information that I have. Distance:10m Projectile Used:168gr FMJ (yes we know we have to use AP however if it can hold up to a .30-06 that is a very good sign for its overall durability, especially with such minimal deformation on the back of the plate). We didn’t have an NIJ single shoot test barrel/jig so we used a full length Enfield P17 into a sandbagged wooden jig. If there is any other info you might want please do let us know. If you are looking for the lab tests we have posted those previously, and we will have them on the relevant product pages. If you want us to post them again just let us know.

Firstly we are never claiming that we where going to replicate NIJ testing standards perfectly. The whole point of this was to prove that the plates work. Which we are now convinced that they do. Second we have the NIJ testing reports and this was mostly to ensure that we where comfortable selling these products. It’s a manufacturer we hadn’t dealt with before and this was a way of keeping them honest. Finally I will give you the information that I have. Distance:10m Projectile Used:168gr FMJ (yes we know we have to use AP however if it can hold up to a .30-06 that is a very good sign for its overall durability, especially with such minimal deformation on the back of the plate). We didn’t have an NIJ single shoot test barrel/jig so we used a full length Enfield P17 into a sandbagged wooden jig. If there is any other info you might want please do let us know. If you are looking for the lab tests we have posted those previously, and we will have them on the relevant product pages. If you want us to post them again just let us know.
    Are you still planning on getting the IV plates NIJ tested as the manufacture did not?

Shawn

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Are you still planning on getting the IV plates NIJ tested as the manufacture did not?

Shawn
    Yes we are. Its a much more complicated process than what we just did so we needed to know if we had enough volume to justify it. However we here are now very comfortable in selling the level IV as we have seen how it has held up, so depending on how sales of everything will go then we will send them off to get officially tested.

We hear you guys and we are working as fast as we can. But to tide you all over here are some of the photos from testing

Aluminum Level IV hit with a .30-06. Only 11mm of back face deformation on the plate and around 23mm in the clay. Also we found out that all these plates are of a tiled construction, so they should be multi hit.
    Attachment 261606
    Attachment 261607
    Awesome! Thanks for the update!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Business Member
    Silicon Carbide Level IV

Took a hit right on the edge from a .30-06. The backface deformation was larger at 21mm on the plate, however the plate managed to catch all of the spalling even at the far edge.
    Name:  0dbc4a76-519a-4a0b-b32b-99883fd22d92.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  110.3 KB
    Name:  90283ce8-eeb1-4ab5-a769-676ef1f93e61.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  95.5 KB
    Name:  1abec5e6-f0ae-4694-9a7c-15563bd74642.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  99.9 KB

After reading for over a month, I'm definitely in for a set of 3+ steel plus a carrier. I'll be waiting somewhat-patiently for the pre-order link
    Anyone doing any Long-Range, Pistol, or Action-Shooting in or around the Elk Valley/Crowsnest Pass? I'd love to tag along, send me a PM

Is the Aluminum Oxide ceramic plate tougher than the Silicon Carbide ceramic plate? From the photos it looks like it handled the 30-06 round better.

Yes we are. Its a much more complicated process than what we just did so we needed to know if we had enough volume to justify it. However we here are now very comfortable in selling the level IV as we have seen how it has held up, so depending on how sales of everything will go then we will send them off to get officially tested.

Shawn

I really want to see the steel tests with spalling etc. Really intrigued by them.
    I am a kit hor(der)