Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The "Holy Grail" Debate

"East of the Rockies, and west of the rest" - Corb Lund
    If I had to pick only one firearm for the rest of my life, this would not be it. But picking only one to hunt with until I pack it in, sure...The one I'm currently putting together. Bighorn SR3 long action with Wyatt's extended box (3.825" ID). Barrels in 7mm Remington Magnum and 28 Nosler. Manners stock.

Give me any well kept swedish mauser sporter. They are cheap. Dead accurate. Good ballistics. Some history. Not too heavy and well built.
    If i could restart my firearms life my first and only deer gun would have been a sporter you could probably get for 300$. They are steals!

I started hunting over 18 years ago with a Remington 700 in 30-06 that was my fathers. My First rifle was a Remington 700 in .270 Win (gave it to my brother as a graduation first rifle gift) Those were both boring and I soon became a Gun "NUT" and bought and built many rifles from small to large, factory to wildcat, and cheap savage to custom action Mcmillan stock ect. I now have one hunting rifle left a Bergara b14 Hunter in .30-06. I hate the .30-06 and I hate plain but what I figured out over the years was simply this.

Under normal hunting conditions (non DG and mountains ect) you can't beat a 7lb rifle in .270 or 30-06. It points nice, It carries nice, It's easy on recoil, and you can literally walk into a village of 10 people with a general store and buy ammo, they just work. The other thing I learned was If you take a 4000 rifle with gorgeous wood and top it with a 3800 scope it's a hell of a beautiful thing, however you are more worried about not dinging it and babying it than you are hunting (cudo's to you guys who can treat them like a tool) It also never killed anything any better. I shoved the Butt of my Bergara in a snow bank after getting my moose this year and the work started. I would have put out a blanket for some of my other rifles I've owned.

S**t I think this means I am getting old.
    Last edited by Jayph; 02-23-2019 at 02:13 AM.

for me it would be an atrs modern sporter in 308 with a vortex viper pst 3-15x44

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone-wolf's Avatar
    I am quite fond of my micro hunter xbolt in 308win, I haven't considered another rifle since for things larger than coyotes.
    On PEI, a good combo 20ga/223 would be amazing to have, or a 20ga/22wmr. I settled on a baikal 22lr/410, compromises... and end up taking my single shot 20ga more.
    Can I imagine a 20ga 20ga 17hornet drilling? Such a combo gun would blow my mind.
    The wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by reliablegun View Post

But 12 ga with 308 win and a .222 insert you can choose how dead she be!

Attachment 249586
    Attachment 249587
    What is the make and model?
    Is this currently for sale at your store? I don't see it on your website.
    Last edited by prairieguy; 02-23-2019 at 08:38 PM. Reason: can't get pthotos to show up

CGN Regular
    30-06 M98 with double triggers, iron sights, claw mounts, 3-9 scope, and wood stock.

Quote Originally Posted by stone25 View Post
    If I could only keep one it would be

Can't beat the ergonomics and adaptability. Will handle close range and long range work.
    I’m in this camp here. Loooove iiiit.
    X22
    There's a bullet in my pocket burnin' a hole

CCFR

Quote Originally Posted by reliablegun View Post
    This year I have decided to make the gun mentioned above. I'm taking an older Remington Model Seven and having International Barrels (IBI) make a .338 Fed(Reamer on the way and will be the first they produce!) with 19" 1-10 Twist and as light a contour they can produce without sucking. I've decided to put a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8x36 with standard duplex reticle on it. A lightweight and compact scope, that looks pretty on top of the rifle. I am unsure if I want to have a Wildcat Customs stock built for it yet but that may come.
    That's going to be nice... and very similar to what I have been thinking about for a while.

I picked up a Model Seven in .260 REM years ago, but now have two other .260's I shoot more (Tikka T3 and Savage 12FP) so have been thinking hard about re-barrelling the Seven in 338 federal. It's a wood stock and the current barrel contour is a bit too light for free-floating, so I'm thinking heavy-enough-to-be-accurate-floated contour. I had been planning for a longer barrel, maybe 22", but now that I think about it that was really driven by .260 requirements and it won't be a .260 any more (D'oh !!). Your 19" plan might be just right.

Congrats on the new build !
    Last edited by bridgman; 02-23-2019 at 10:43 PM.

A few years ago I was looking at Canadian Military Sniper Rifles.. and I found the C3A1.in .308.. A Parker -Hale Mauser 98 action , complete with a McMillan A2 fiberglass stock and adj.cheek riser, topped with a Unerti 10x scope. Now I'm not too sure how often it happens, that a rifle and its owner have the same name , but a Parker McMillan... is ME! ....lol. I did a bit of searching and i couldn't find a source for one, so any input and assistance would be greatly appreciated. I can't post a damn picture tho , not sure why.

Parker in .PG
    Last edited by Madmac74; 02-23-2019 at 11:27 PM.