Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: The "Holy Grail" Debate

Desert Tech SRS covert (A1 or A2 not picky) for me. Every time I see one on the EE I consider trading all my guns for it so if I ever get one I might not have anything else anyways!

When I was younger I was looking through a firearms magazine and saw an ad for a Sako rifle. That rifle was a Sako Bavarian with a contoured ebony for end and hogback style european walnut stock. Was it ever beautiful, so much so that I became dead set on owning one.

I now own my dream rifle, and I have to say I still get the butterflies every time I take her out of the case. For my location (Northern BC) .300 Winchester Magnum has always been my favourite hunting cartridge, so naturally that's what its chambered in. I have it topped with a Swarovski Z6 1-6x scope viewing a German #4 reticle. The Bavarian also has back up iron sights. This combination works real well while hunting in thick Bush or forest where visibility is limited, or if I need to reach out a little I can as well.

A close second for me would be my Tikka T3x lite chambered in 6.5x55. Rifle is light and with the Leupold 3-15x VX-5HD I can really reach out and hit stuff. I got the rifle cerakoted a titanium grey for added weather protection. This rifle gets most of its use because sometimes I dont want to beat up my Bavarian, we all have that gun.

Here she is in all her glory, she sure likes 180 grain Nosler Partitions, which works for me because they drop everything.
    Untitled by Sako, on Flickr

For me, the Holy Grail would be a Martin Hagn built take down falling block rifle in .275 Rigby. Specifically using:
    a size small, case-hardened Hagn falling block action;
    a blued half octagon/half round 24" light weight barrel with express sights;
    topped-off with Schmidt and Bender Klassik 6x42 in claw mounts; and
    including all the sweet little bells and whistles (super walnut, fancy steel butt-plate and matching grip cap, etc.)

I think the holy grail isn't the rifle set-up itself because I know where it is (Cranbrook), but rather the money to buy it with...no idea where that is.
    Last edited by thymallus arcticus; 02-24-2019 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Spelling

mine would be a marlin 336 stainless, bead blasted (they are just too shiny as is) in a synthetic stock with Skinner sights, i like my blued steel and walnut, and my leverguns, but stainless and synthetic are comforting when it is damp. i shoot all my game inside of 150 yards, and would not be at a disadvantage with the 3030 cartridge. if i draw a moose or elk i would just have to be a hunter instead of a shooter and try too sneak in close.

I've had more of my friends ask to shoot this rifle than any other one I've owned. 1.5 moa with 400 grain bear loads @ 1850 fps.

Custom Marlin 1895 45-70 - Fully tuned action with bear proof ejector, happy trigger and muzzle brake. All nicely bead blasted to get rid of the reflection.
    Last edited by stone25; 02-24-2019 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Grammar

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Accurate Clover 3 shot groups for a 1917 sporter.

Quote Originally Posted by gwhysow View Post
    Still no love for the No. 1s
    Traded a combo maverick 88 for a Scope 3x9 303 Parker Hale Supreme. Groups better than my 80's 4x12 300 win mag Sako Deluxe.
    Last edited by Kanaskichuck; 02-24-2019 at 07:31 PM. Reason: ..

Cooper Model 22 Custom Classic in .280AI topped with a Leupold VX5HD

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrain View Post
    Looks awesome!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Definitely a Steyr Scout in .308 Win.... great quality, very lightweight, integral bipod and back up sights and can take any big game I’d be shooting at.