Thread: Storing bolt action 22 rifle and finding bolt parts

Storing bolt action 22 rifle and finding bolt parts

I'm new to gun ownership and picked up my "new to me" Lakefield MKII bolt action .22LR on Sunday. I was just wondering if I should store it with the bolt open, closed or removed? Safety course just says unloaded and safe and locked (trigger lock, case, cabinet, safe, etc). It is currently locked in a case with a trigger lock in place (until I get something more "permanent" in place), but I'm not sure on the best practice for the bolt position. If it's better closed, do I dry fire it to relieve the firing pin spring tention or leave the bolt cocked? If I remove it, again do I leave it clocked or twist it to un-cock it?

I appreciate any advice everyone can shed on the subject.

Does anyone know where in southern Ontario where I might be able to get extractors for my bolt? I get the odd not fully extracted and ejected casing. The one extractor (left one) looks a little warn. And my bolt doesn't have the external spring clip that others have talked about with this issue with Lakefields/Savage (according to Savage, based on my serial number my rifle is about 30-35 years old - haven't heard back from them yet on possible parts).. Looks like the spring is internal and the extractors are held in place by 2 very small spring pins.

Thanks

Screamin-D

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Magellann's Avatar
    I store mine bolt closed, just to keep them from sliding back and forth. I wouldn't recommend storing the bolts separate, as so many fellows have lost the bolts over time.

BANNED
    You can remove the bolt and keep it in the case if your not into having to dry fire it..keep the bolt clean in a oily rag would be my preference

Can't help you with your extractor problem - just keep looking - somebody should have what you're looking for.
    I leave the bolt closed on mine. If you do decide to remove it - wrapped in an oily rag, as suggested - and don't get too creative with trying to hide it - as was also suggested, you may never see it again.
    Most bolt action rifles, if you keep the trigger depressed as you push the bolt forward and lock it down, the firing pin won't "cock".

I store my mk2 with the bolt closed. After I removed the mag and examine the breach to make sure its empty I hold my finger on the trigger and slowly close the bolt. This releases spring pressure. All my bolt actions are stored in this manner.

Had some extraction issues but it was just gunk on the bolt face. Used a nylon or brass brush to clear the debris. Havnt had issues since.

Thanks for the info guys. I tried the hold the trigger and close the bolt to release the spring pressure last night on mine and it worked, so I'll be storing my rifle like this now.

Mildwood - I'll try giving my bolt face a GOOD cleaning before my next shoot and see how it does. Thanks.