Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Night Vision and Thermal Optics Incoming

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hunter View Post
    I find the aurora is pretty decent unless in pitch black. Paired with an illuminator I found it pretty impressive. I thought in your previous review you felt skipping gen 2 and going for an aurora was the way to go.
    Indeed I did, with most new monoculars with "low end" Gen 2 tubes units starting at $3,500-$4,500 (GSCI, ACTinBlack, Newcon), the price/ability difference seemed pretty large. If this is $2,700 and decent quality, that makes a pretty big difference to me. Also the more I use the Aurora, the less I'm liking it as an actual NOD. However, I LOVE using it as a camera. I really shouldn't speak to these Russian units yet, though. Hard to say much without seeing the specs or looking through them.
    CSSA Lifetime member
    CCFR Member

I think more detail specifications will be needed to make up more educated opinion.

First of all "Gen" is a bit misleading when it comes to non-US technology. I have seen Russian "Gen 3" tube that really performs at the boundary between early US Gen 3 and so called Gen 2, because it has unimpressive FOM for something labelled as "Gen 3". The better universally used measure is the FOM ( figure of merit ) - it is the resolution in Lp/mm times signal to noise ratio.

The US doesn't allow FOM over 1400 to be exported for ground use, that is pretty much the upper boundary of US Gen 2 technology. So you may not be getting anything significantly better with a Russian-style "Gen 3" vs an western "Gen 2" - look at the FOM. Some "Russian" Gen 3 doesn't really have FOM much better than American or European Gen 2 technologies. Your typical GSCI and newcon use Russian tubes when they won't tell who the manufacturer is - "Gen" is irrelevant. Will I take a Photonis "Gen 2" XR5 over a Russian 1400 FOM "Gen 3"....hell yeh!

This is before we talk about the body itself, the electronics...etc Finally, people who buy bino or mono most likely want to head mount. The russian stuff seems to run their own interfaces, so people may be stuck with whatever mounting solutions the Russian provides.

I think the weapon mounted sights could be more interesting and commercially viable, but this is all depending on the detail specifications.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

Quote Originally Posted by AITacticalSolutions View Post
    These are all Russian. We know the prices are quite high but we are still priced lower than domestically made night vision. We know that's little comfort when the bill is as large as it is but it's the best we can do.
    Skibidi

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ianfroese View Post
    Honestly not bad. I've heard decent things about Novosibirsk night vision, apparently they are pretty tough units. I'd love to see a PN-9k or -21k, and can pretty much guarantee I'd buy a -21k to add to my reviews. I have a feeling they will be good value for the money, and would likely be worth bringing some in. The lowest price competitor I can find is about $1,000 more, for what should be about comparable abilities.

Unless they front you the PT2 with no money down though, I think you should likely pass on the thermal. $16,000 for the capability that a $3,000 Breach brings doesn't seem like a good use of your money.

Even if it they are only lower spec Gen 2 tubes (they may be better, I don't know), these would blow the Aurora out of the water. Aurora = good camera, but mediocre night vision capability. Seriously better to save for this or other Gen 2 or 3 equipment.
    We will be putting these all on our website in the next couple weeks.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post
    I think more detail specifications will be needed to make up more educated opinion.

First of all "Gen" is a bit misleading when it comes to non-US technology. I have seen Russian "Gen 3" tube that really performs at the boundary between early US Gen 3 and so called Gen 2, because it has unimpressive FOM for something labelled as "Gen 3". The better universally used measure is the FOM ( figure of merit ) - it is the resolution in Lp/mm times signal to noise ratio.

The US doesn't allow FOM over 1400 to be exported for ground use, that is pretty much the upper boundary of US Gen 2 technology. So you may not be getting anything significantly better with a Russian-style "Gen 3" vs an western "Gen 2" - look at the FOM. Some "Russian" Gen 3 doesn't really have FOM much better than American or European Gen 2 technologies. Your typical GSCI and newcon use Russian tubes when they won't tell who the manufacturer is - "Gen" is irrelevant. Will I take a Photonis "Gen 2" XR5 over a Russian 1400 FOM "Gen 3"....hell yeh!

This is before we talk about the body itself, the electronics...etc Finally, people who buy bino or mono most likely want to head mount. The russian stuff seems to run their own interfaces, so people may be stuck with whatever mounting solutions the Russian provides.

I think the weapon mounted sights could be more interesting and commercially viable, but this is all depending on the detail specifications.
    We will send an inquiry out for the detailed specifications of the night vision units. Once we get those we will make sure that they are available both on this thread and on the product page for each different unit.

Business Member
    Also we have access to even more night vision and thermal optics manufactured by BelOMO. We will be posting photos and prices very soon.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manx07 View Post
    Skibidi
    Wa pa pa

Business Member
    We are very sorry for the delay. We are still waiting to get the spec sheets for each of the optics from the factory, but NPZ is taking their time. Once more we will post the info here as soon as we get it.

Wait. Theoretically we could get higher end night vision out of Russia than the US because of export regs??
    I am a kit hor(der)

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatM305Guy View Post
    Wait. Theoretically we could get higher end night vision out of Russia than the US because of export regs??
    Theoretically we can get higher quality everything out of Russia. If you go into it the export regs out of the US are ridiculous. We would need a license to export the SURPAT camo we carry because it’s been treated for IR. Then there’s all the licenses for rifle optics coming from the US as well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast