Dominion 7.62x39 Velocity

Gatehouse

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
On another thread I saw someone felt that the Canada Ammo reloaded 7.62x39 ammo was "loaded hot" so I thought I would test some velocities. I've used thousands of rounds of this ammo previously but I had none on hand so ordered a case of their most recent batch and took it to the range.

2 rifles were used, a NEA AR15 with a 14.5 " barrel, and a Type 81 with a 18.5" barrel. I didn't try an SKS as I dont' have any anymore, although I suspect most of this ammo would get used in an SKS.

Here are the results, measured on Labradar Doppler Radar.

AR15

Norinco White Box
Avg Vel 2241
ES 48
SD 21.5

Dominion
Vel 1954
ES 86
SD 29.9

Barnaul
Vel 2241
ES 61
SD 23.2

Type 81
Norinco White Box
Vel 2354
ES 74
SD 28.7

Dominion
Vel 1967
ES 73
SD 27.7

Barnaul
Vel 2324
ES63
SD 24.7

I didn't shoot any groups to test accuracy, just shooting at a 6" gong at 100 yards. Easy to hit with the scoped AR15, not as easy with the T81 Laugh2

I was actually a little shocked by the lower velocity of the Dominion ammo, thought perhaps it would lead to failures, but actually just the opposite. The T81 and SKS rifles digest almost all ammo but x39 AR15's can be a bit more finicky. This particular AR15 sometimes leaves a fired case in the chamber or stovepipes, and that happened today with some Norinco. I suspect it could use a new extractor spring or donut to help with extractor force. But the Dominon didn't have any problems, so maybe the lower pressure isn't sticking the case to the chamber as tightly as the hotter ammunition. Or maybe it has something to do with the AR15 gas system. In any case, I fired 50 rounds of Dominion in the AR15 with no problems.

So, I don't think the ammo is hot at all, just the opposite. :dancingbanana:

Last edited:
Well that settles that , who said its loaded hot?? Maybe some batches are warmer than others . suppose it wouldn't matter for most , but if your trying to stretch the wings on a ar might make a difference.

It was last year someone said it was hot due to it printing an inch higher than his other ammunition. I don't think anyone was having over pressure signs. I know I used several thousand rounds of it last year with no signs of it being hot.

If this case works in my Ar15's with no hiccups I will stack it deep ! :)

Sounds like you are getting short-changed, underpowered ammo with Dominion. For a few bucks more, a person can get a case of Barnaul, which in my experience in the past has been pretty darn good stuff.

Sounds like you are getting short-changed, underpowered ammo with Dominion. For a few bucks more, a person can get a case of Barnaul, which in my experience in the past has been pretty darn good stuff.

Nah, just the opposite. The Dominion runs better than Barnaul in my AR15s. Plus with Barnaul you have to #### around with the little cardboard boxes and paper wrapper.

And let’s face it, very few people shooting steel case x39 ammo is going to experience any performance difference between ammo brands.

I found a round that would not chamber in 2 CZ 527's in 7.62x39, the SKS ate the round but stove piped on extraction. This is the first SKS stovepipe I have ever had to be honest. I am still working through my first 1000 rds of the Can-Am remanufactured ammo. It works ok but will buy other options in the future as its just not consistent for accuracy or chambering and removing after firing. Some rounds seem to stick a bit or take more force to cycle the bolt to either close or open the bolt after the round is fired on the CZ527s. On the SKS they eat them just fine and shoot SKS accuracy.

I believe that Barnaul claims their fmj stuff is supposed to approximate mil spec for the 7.62x39. That being said, I have found Hornady stuff to be very slow; but that being said it typically is the most accurate stuff I have seen in that caliber.

Back
Top Bottom