Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dominion 7.62x39 Velocity

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar

Dominion 7.62x39 Velocity

On another thread I saw someone felt that the Canada Ammo reloaded 7.62x39 ammo was "loaded hot" so I thought I would test some velocities. I've used thousands of rounds of this ammo previously but I had none on hand so ordered a case of their most recent batch and took it to the range.

2 rifles were used, a NEA AR15 with a 14.5 " barrel, and a Type 81 with a 18.5" barrel. I didn't try an SKS as I dont' have any anymore, although I suspect most of this ammo would get used in an SKS.

Here are the results, measured on Labradar Doppler Radar.

AR15

Norinco White Box
    Avg Vel 2241
    ES 48
    SD 21.5

Dominion
    Vel 1954
    ES 86
    SD 29.9

Barnaul
    Vel 2241
    ES 61
    SD 23.2

Type 81
    Norinco White Box
    Vel 2354
    ES 74
    SD 28.7

Dominion
    Vel 1967
    ES 73
    SD 27.7

Barnaul
    Vel 2324
    ES63
    SD 24.7

I didn't shoot any groups to test accuracy, just shooting at a 6" gong at 100 yards. Easy to hit with the scoped AR15, not as easy with the T81

I was actually a little shocked by the lower velocity of the Dominion ammo, thought perhaps it would lead to failures, but actually just the opposite. The T81 and SKS rifles digest almost all ammo but x39 AR15's can be a bit more finicky. This particular AR15 sometimes leaves a fired case in the chamber or stovepipes, and that happened today with some Norinco. I suspect it could use a new extractor spring or donut to help with extractor force. But the Dominon didn't have any problems, so maybe the lower pressure isn't sticking the case to the chamber as tightly as the hotter ammunition. Or maybe it has something to do with the AR15 gas system. In any case, I fired 50 rounds of Dominion in the AR15 with no problems.

So, I don't think the ammo is hot at all, just the opposite.
    Last edited by Gatehouse; 03-15-2019 at 06:57 PM.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

Well that settles that , who said its loaded hot?? Maybe some batches are warmer than others . suppose it wouldn't matter for most , but if your trying to stretch the wings on a ar might make a difference.

It was last year someone said it was hot due to it printing an inch higher than his other ammunition. I don't think anyone was having over pressure signs. I know I used several thousand rounds of it last year with no signs of it being hot.

If this case works in my Ar15's with no hiccups I will stack it deep !

Does it literally come 1000 loose rounds in a bag or is it packaged individually in 20rd boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Canada94 View Post
    Does it literally come 1000 loose rounds in a bag or is it packaged individually in 20rd boxes?
    Loose in a bag. The best way to pack ammo!

Fricking hate opening 50 little boxes of ammo in a 1000 round case.

I get over 2500 fps with Czech '78 from my sks'. I think the question of whether Dominion is hot is settled...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Sounds like you are getting short-changed, underpowered ammo with Dominion. For a few bucks more, a person can get a case of Barnaul, which in my experience in the past has been pretty darn good stuff.
    1944 - 18 year old men stormed the beaches of Normandy into almost certain death.
    2021 - 18 year old boys need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.
    2022 - 18 year old boys aren't sure what bathroom to use.

I have always had better accuracy with Dominion over barnaul

No question Barnaul is darn decent ammo!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Craig0ry's Avatar
    It’s kind of funny, I get a massive fireball out of my 7.5” AR15 with Norinco but not with Czech ammo
    I am COMPLETELY out of ammo. That's never happened to me before. - Burt Gummer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast