Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deal Alert Norinco !

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    My CanAm JW 20 from a couple years ago runs the quiets no problem, nice and accurate too.
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

CGN Regular
    My Savage model 60 was the same price on sale at CT. It's accurate and feeds well with round nosed standard velocity ammo. Doesn't like hollowpoints with the squared off shoulders. I guess it depends on what you prefer.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gyates93 View Post
    My Savage model 60 was the same price on sale at CT. It's accurate and feeds well with round nosed standard velocity ammo. Doesn't like hollowpoints with the squared off shoulders. I guess it depends on what you prefer.
    But you don't get to experience the warmth of hot brass going down your loose sleeves with a Savage....

The Browning SA is a classic design from a hundred years ago...... the Norc is a cheap clone that is capable and people can relax and get them dirty and banged up without stressing about their nicer Browning.

Savage is a great option for an inexpensive yet accurate .22lr. Choices and options are a luxury.
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

I bought one of the Norc JW 20's, new, 3 or 4 years ago.

It fired so accurately and so reliably that it was almost boring. I decided to try to get it to fail. I repeatedly loaded that thing with every piece of crap .22 (some of 'em green, some of 'em greasy, etc.) I could find, brands etc. mixed up together. I failed, utterly, trying to get it to FTF, FTL, FTE, etc. I swear, that little JW 20 will fire ANYTHING without issue. It breaks down into a really small package, too. Love it - a GREAT SHTF/backpack/camping gun, IMHO, and a spectacular deal at that price!!
    Proud member of the CSSA, the CPC, and the CCFR

GunNutz
    I ordered one tonight. I'll let you know how I make out.

GunNutz
    Well, I ordered it on Sunday, and received it on Friday. It is very rough, and tons of grease. We all knew that would be the case. The bluing was much better than I thought it would be, and the wood OK The checkering is better than my Ancshutz with it's crappy laser cut checkering. Trouble. I was cleaning the rifle, and slid the bolt back to clean under it. I released it, but it wouldn't go forward. Seemed to be hitting something solid. I got out my NRA gun assembly book and removed the whole trigger/breech block/bolt assembly. It was still caught back. I then noticed that the firing pin was protruding out of the face of the breech block. I tried to push it back in, but it was solid. I then clamped the unit in the vise, and pushed the firing pin back with a punch that gave me a better grip. It went in and the bolt slid forward a bit. I worked it back and forth and it came free, and cycled. I believe that the whole assembly was gummed up with old hard grease. I did some more cleaning and flushing with WD40 and air, ran a number of patches through the bore, and tried a round. It fired so I put 2 rounds in and they both chambered and fired properly. The little latch for unlocking the barrel is really rough and doesn't like to move properly. I am going to remove it and file/stone/polish it until I like it. I paid $203 with tax and delivery. It is nowhere near as nice as my Browning was, but I won't be upset if it gets dinged in the field either.

If you don't mind a complete disassembly, like I mean everything because it is covered in whale guts or whatever they use, degrease and lube and it will serve you well. I ended up with 2, and i just tore them down, soaked in varsol overnight, then went at it the next day. Lubed with Balistol and they both run great. These are NOS from the early 90's is my guess, but well made, better then the stuff they put out now. It takes a little trial and error to get the barrel locked up nice and tight, and the wood is dry as a bone on all the unfinished parts which I liberally coated with some linseed oil.
    First one I ran 300 rounds through without issue in one sitting, and no moving parts showed any wear at all. It's a very neat design, but it really is a simple design (100+ years old) so no doubt the Browning/FN are nicer made, but these surprised me. They don't look Chinese gross, pretty well done on every part, absolutely a deal IMHO. Shot one again today with a 5x scope on it and some RWS to see how good it would shoot, at 50m it was pretty impressive. Muzzle thread is 1/2-20... threaded for Euro cans, useless to us.
    Anyway here's a few pics.

And I found a nice speed loader for it, holds 50 rounds, insert them tip up and you can just pour them right into the stock. Works like a charm.

GunNutz
    I am happy with my mine. It shoots anything, even CCI quiet about 8/10 times. Some parts are kinda rough though and on mine the switch to take down always over travels and needs to be taken apart to reset. For 160, its worth it for sure.

CGN Regular
    I don't know how people call these trash, mine cycles great, iron sights were bang on out of the box for about 30 yards.

Might not win any competitions but for a cheap plinking semi I'm very happy with it

Quote Originally Posted by Codyg14 View Post
    I don't know how people call these trash, mine cycles great, iron sights were bang on out of the box for about 30 yards.

Might not win any competitions but for a cheap plinking semi I'm very happy with it
    I'm extremely critical of junk, these are not junk. I've had lots of Norinco junk over the years, but these were made when China was pushing for quality. The guts are a little rough, but not as rough as current production, and no MIM/casting on these, all milled from forgings/billet. Even the balsa like wood has many layers of lacquer to harden it up, while not pretty it is functional and should last forever. The exterior metal finish is quite good, well polished and moderately decent bluing.
    I usually grade Norks by how many razor edges there are and how many times I cut myself during tear down and cleaning. Only cut myself once lol, on the takedown latch, so I consider that pretty good.
    The design does have a lot of little pins/springs that can go flying, and the action and trigger group get filthy from shooting, so care is needed. They might not be for everyone, but I have no complaints with mine.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast