Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PAL application advice

PAL application advice

Greetings all

Took the unrestricted course on March 09 and restricted today, March 16.. Passed both.

Not sure what to say on the PAL app for section C - Question 16d

"During the past five (5) years, have you threatened or attempted suicide, or have you suffered from or been diagnosed or treated by a medical practitioner for: depression; alcohol, drug or substance abuse; behavioural problems; or emotional problems?"

briefly. Went through a brief bout of anxiety and panic attacks in 2007 after my mother died. Was not sure what it was at first and thought i was having a heart attack. Over the next couple of years i had many tests
    and was put on 15mg of Mirtazapine and 150mg of Bupropion in 2009. These count as anti-depressants but Mirtazapine is also for anxiety and bupropion is also used as a quit smoking drug. Does anxiety count as emotional problems?

It has been more than 5 years, have not had anxiety or panic since 2011, but i am still taking the same medications and dosage today. I at first thought i should say yes to that question but i asked at the training centre today and they say i should say no.

What are your opinions? Would this show honesty by saying yes? Would they even have records of me taking these drugs?

Sounds like any problem you had has been completely under control. I would put no. Also older than five years so doesn't count.
    Smokeless powder is just a passing fad. #1 gun rule,carry one.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    As tempting as it may be to reference the "five years ago" and dismiss the issue as long past, the fact is that you're still taking a prescription for the reported symptoms; that is the very definition of "being treated".

Check "yes". Include a letter explaining it all. Your firearms license will come in the mail, same as everybody else.
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

CGN frequent flyer
    I would agree with putting yes but putting a letter explaining the situation. Based on how you describe it they will still issue the license. I think this course of action is better than say them calling one of your references and finding out about it second hand.

The issue of your anxiety and panic attacks is over five years ago. Unless you behaved in some eratic manner that was documented I hardly consider it something that almost everyone will go through at some point in their life. I don't think you're lying if you answer no

CGN frequent flyer
    Based on the language of the question I believe you would be lying. It asks if your are currently being treated, and taking medication is the textbook definition of being treated for an underlying condition.

I don’t think they will care, you could even get a note if you are still seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist indicating they feel your situation is stable and that they aren’t concerned. I think it is a much better course of action than potentially lying on legal document such as this, just my .02 though.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Blackcats's Avatar
    Check with a gun lawyer (Solomon Friedman <solomon@edelsonlaw.ca) is an excellent choice . First call is usually free . Advice here is worth ?

True you are still being treated but for something that hasn't existed in 8 years...it might be great motivation to kick those meds now. I used similar pills to help me sleep and when i quit i didn't even feel any different. You're gonna get your PAL regardless and telling the truth is the best idea. I got my PAL in 8 weeks and said yes to that question for meds

CGN frequent flyer
    Yeah I think if your honest they aren’t going to care in your case, if you were very recently diagnosed with a serious condition that could cause instability I think it would be a bigger deal. I have a feeling here that honesty will expedite the process. A call to a lawyer might not be a terrible idea.

thanks everyone. I read it as what MattE93 said, currently being treated. Even though i have not had symptoms since 2011. I have thought of going off them for a while but figured the dosage has been the same for the last 8 years, just got in habit of taking them.
    Not seeing any doctor except a regular GP. Never really saw a shrink except briefly at a clinic in 2010. And what is funny, the doctors are not the ones that suggested these meds, it was me. I did research on internet and asked doctor about them.

I will go ahead with what i was going to do originally. Just say yes and include the letter i wrote. A slightly expanded explanation of what i wrote in the OP. And i think this will just show that i am being honest about it and not trying to hide things.

no time to consult with a lawyer. Going to be sending it all off on Monday by express post.

Had a good time taking the courses. Never had / shot / held a gun in my life (except for bb guns). Going to be going to an indoor range next week with a friend.
    Once i see the pal app moving along and i see it was approved i will get a gun safe. Then go shopping

but i see a CZ557 Ranger Rifle / Mossberg 590 Tactical and CZ75 SP-01 in my future

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast