First in Canada Dark Hour Defense Compensated Glock Stand Off Device!

ctcs

Expired Business Member
Business Member
First time ever in Canada - the Dark Hour Defense Compensated Glock Stand Off Device w/Rail - Glock 17 & Glock 19

Threaded barrel NOT required

• This model features an integrated muzzle brake/compensator & accessory rail to mount a flashlight
  • The compensator top ports keep the pistol flip to a minimum and reduces recoil while the added side ports reduce the felt recoil even further
  • Designed to keep the slide in battery to allow proper discharge if pressed against a solid object/target
  • Made from 7075 T6 aluminum
  • Mil-Spec Type 3 hard coat anodize (Black only)
  • Install device with blue thread locker on mounting screws.
  • All screws should be tightened to NO MORE than 15-20 inch pounds!
  • Compensated Stand Off Device weighs 3.1 oz

**Does not work with extended/threaded barrels or Polymer 80 frames**

Device is not rated for continuous +P/Hot ammo use.

Glock 17 $199.99

Glock 19 $199.99

Are there any options for holsters for these things? I bought one for a G17 and love it. It's pretty cool to have a frame mounted compensator, no extended $400 threaded barrel required. It's there when I want it, and if I want to remove it I don't have a threaded barrel sticking out the end. Plus, with the rail so you can keep a light or laser on it too.

I also noticed a difference in recoil. Second shots are quicker for sure. I don't know how much of that is the brake and how much is the added weight at the muzzle, but it does definitely make a difference. I'd estimate (totally not scientific, just subjective) about a 25% reduction in muzzle flip.

But...

What kind of holster could you possibly use? Any ideas? For one with a light? Are there firms making custom holsters (i.e. truly custom, not "select your pistol and your light from a dropdown menu" quasi-custom)

Last edited:
Are there any options for holsters for these things? I bought one for a G17 and love it. It's pretty cool to have a frame mounted compensator, no extended $400 threaded barrel required. It's there when I want it, and if I want to remove it I don't have a threaded barrel sticking out the end. Plus, with the rail so you can keep a light or laser on it too.

I also noticed a difference in recoil. Second shots are quicker for sure. I don't know how much of that is the brake and how much is the added weight at the muzzle, but it does definitely make a difference. I'd estimate (totally not scientific, just subjective) about a 25% reduction in muzzle flip.

But...

What kind of holster could you possibly use? Any ideas? For one with a light? Are there firms making custom holsters (i.e. truly custom, not "select your pistol and your light from a dropdown menu" quasi-custom)

Guga Ribas Holster could probably work since it's universal (you adjust it accordingly until there's no slack). Not sure with a light though.

Hey thanks for the response!

I ended up getting a holster from Gray Fox Strategic. I brought the pistol in to their shop in Ottawa, they did a 3D scan of it (without the light - they have models of each major light and I was using an InForce, which they had). So they have a template for a kydex holster for any G17 with the stand-off device with rail and compensator, with or without major lights on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at my local gun shop and at another more popular shop and both had this Dark Hour Compensated Glock Stand Off Device. The install was quick and it adds a little weight to front of the gun. My question to all of you is has anyone shot with it and what do you think about it. It seems like a good idea but I have not personally shot with it. Due to the fact that its frame mounted I don't think that there would be any issues with spring weights. Looking forward to your responses. Stay safe.

I shoot a G17 gen 5 MOS with it. No need to change any springs, it just works with all ammo.

After a couple thousand rounds - I can say definitively that I like it. It is the only brake that's super easy to remove and put back (no indexing) so stripping your pistol down isn't a chore. It works well enough for recoil and has no negative impact on reliable cycling

I shoot a G17 gen 5 MOS with it. No need to change any springs, it just works with all ammo.

After a couple thousand rounds - I can say definitively that I like it. It is the only brake that's super easy to remove and put back (no indexing) so stripping your pistol down isn't a chore. It works well enough for recoil and has no negative impact on reliable cycling

Astute Observer, Thanks for the info. I am looking at installing one of these on my Shadow System MR918L elite. Since its the same size as a G17 I think it will work well. I appreciate the honest review. For the price I cant go wrong.

Astute Observer, Thanks for the info. I am looking at installing one of these on my Shadow System MR918L elite. Since its the same size as a G17 I think it will work well. I appreciate the honest review. For the price I cant go wrong.

Yeah, if it's a G17 clone it should work. Just confirm by looking at the muzzle (unloaded!!!) to make sure that the barrel clears (e.g. if your rail is slightly out of spec, say it's a few mm lower than on a stock glock, then you wouldn't want your bullet to clip the top of the brake's opening).

I have shot other buddies' pistols with brakes, and the Dark Hour Defence isn't quite as effective, it's like maybe 60-75% the recoil reduction as an Agency Arms 417. But it's WAY simpler, no tuning, no indexing. I like it because with it on, I can shoot IPSC open division, and with it off my gun is ok for production optics division. It's just very simple to use and set up, easy to take off or put back on.

Astute Observer I took your advice and purchased one. There appears to be no obvious clearance issue and I really don't anticipate one. I will be trying it at the range this week and will report bad with my findings. I have a Zev Pro V2 compensator that I am running on one of my other pistols so I will be able to do a comparison. Thanks again for your assistance.

Back
Top Bottom