Thread: PAL/RPAL application help

PAL/RPAL application help

Hoping to get some advice on my PAL/RPAL application.

I took and passed both the non-restricted and restricted courses last fall. Submitted my application for my PAL and RPAL shortly after. RCMP recieved my application in early December 2018.

After the 45 day wait period (mid-January), I called the office of the Ontario CFO. They directed me to the local area firearms officer who told me that my application was flagged due to an incident from 2 years ago.

Someone mistook some things I said and thought I was suicidal. He reported me to the university police (who are obsessed with mental health) and they refused to believe me when I repeatedly stressed I had no intentions of harming myself. They forced me to talk to the on-call crisis conselling team who agreed that I was not suicidal. I was released, moved on with my life, and quickly forgot about it. The whole incident was more of an annoyance than anything else. Checked off "no" on my application for mental health and suicide because well I was never suicidal.

But, I found out in the phone call that the police put it in their report that I was suicidal. The firearms officer told me he would look into it and call me back in a week or two. This was in mid-January. I've left a couple voicemails since but he hasn't gotten back to me. My application still says its in progress online.

Does anyone have advice on how I should proceed with this besides leaving weekly voicemails?

I've filed a freedom of information request for access to the police report (planning to lawyer up and get the information corrected afterwards).
    Neither of my references know anything about the incident and can back up my claim that I am mentally sound and not at risk of harming myself.
    Last edited by irishcanuck; 01-04-2020 at 08:41 PM.

Your member of parliament should be able to sort it out easily. My application took 6 months. One meeting with my MP office and it was in the mail within 24 hours. I do have a conservative MP luckily.

Last edited by irishcanuck; 04-09-2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Deleted

They'll ding you for any little mix-up.
    When I had my Minor's PAL and applied for the regular PAL I had Jeffrey on the Minor's and Jeff on the new application.
    Was sent a letter saying there was issues as I changed my name, took roughly 7-8 months in total to get my card.
    I just kept following up, I'd take Pipester's advice and see your MP.

I called my MP and he told me that he'd look into it. This is the first time he's ever dealt with anything like this so it might take a little longer. I really hope he can help me sort everything out because this entire application process has been nothing but frusteration.