CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Valmet Hunter 308 1999.00 USD in Canada Non Restricted

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arm&Gun View Post
    They certainly can if you can find one. M88’s (like the one pictured) came in .223 (rare and more expensive, but can be converted to x39), .243, .308, and 30-06 (also rare and expensive). The m78’s (look like rpk’s) came in .223 (rare and expensive), x39 (incredibly rare and expensive. I’ve heard 60-100 ever made), and .308.
    Would be lucrative if a canadian manufacturer could buy a licensing agreement from whoever owns the Valmet brand to reproduce the 78 and 88 versions
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian46 View Post
    Would be lucrative if a canadian manufacturer could buy a licensing agreement from whoever owns the Valmet brand to reproduce the 78 and 88 versions
    It’s been discussed,Tikka(I believe) owns the rights to valmet and has no plans to ever produce them again.
    It's not that I'm new to this....I'm just an idiot...

Once Proud member of the NFA.now disgruntled and disillusioned and confused.

Quote Originally Posted by MJS View Post
    It’s been discussed,Tikka(I believe) owns the rights to valmet and has no plans to ever produce them again.
    then they would likely be willing to sell someone a licensing agreement to produce them since they have no interest in doing so.

Kind of like Famae producing sig 540's
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

OMG If only I had been online.......
    The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run.
    - Moby Dick, Herman Melville

then they would likely be willing to sell someone a licensing agreement to produce them since they have no interest in doing so.

Kind of like Famae producing sig 540's
    Not possible. Some people have tried, and Beretta who now owns the rights to Valmet guns has zero interest in selling. Even if they gave the rights away for free, it would be impossible to reproduce the rifles in Canada on small scale any cheaper than what the original ones go for.
    Valmet receivers are probably 10 times as difficult to manufacture than the AR-15 style ones, and those, as we all know, sell for $1000 for the "grey market non restricted version"

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by zZ_denis View Post
    Not possible. Some people have tried, and Beretta who now owns the rights to Valmet guns has zero interest in selling. Even if they gave the rights away for free, it would be impossible to reproduce the rifles in Canada on small scale any cheaper than what the original ones go for.
    Valmet receivers are probably 10 times as difficult to manufacture than the AR-15 style ones, and those, as we all know, sell for $1000 for the "grey market non restricted version"
    Isn't it just a fairly standard milled AK receiver? I can't imagine that being unreasonably pricey. They can be found in the USA for $500 and under for the bare receiver. I'm not experienced with CNC milling but I would think it requires less fixturing and machine time than a billet AR.

And there are no grey-market NR AR15 versions. Just incompatible rifles that use some of the same internal components and look similar.

Edit: but you are likely correct about the trademark issues. Valmet stands for Valtion Metallitehtaat which means Government's Metal Works, literally translated. Trying to license a name that sounds like a govt operation for the purpose of making guns wouldn't fly very well. Also, the current Valmet company is in the pulp and paper industry. That might be why Tikka/Sako/Beretta do not use that name.
    Last edited by rifleman762; 03-29-2019 at 09:06 PM.
    If somebody asks me, "Why do you need an AR15?" I will ask them, "Why did Rosa Parks need to sit at the front of the bus?"

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman762 View Post

Edit: but you are likely correct about the trademark issues. Valmet stands for Valtion Metallitehtaat which means Government's Metal Works, literally translated. Trying to license a name that sounds like a govt operation for the purpose of making guns wouldn't fly very well. Also, the current Valmet company is in the pulp and paper industry. That might be why Tikka/Sako/Beretta do not use that name.
    a company would not need the Valmet name to be able to re produce Valmet rifles under license from Valmet.

It comes down to dollars, make it worthwhile to the current holder of the "Valmet" name and it can happen. With 7.62x39 M78's getting $7-10,000 on the used market, there is some profit to be made

I see them on gunbroker from time to time, in x39

a company would not need the Valmet name to be able to re produce Valmet rifles under license from Valmet.

It comes down to dollars, make it worthwhile to the current holder of the "Valmet" name and it can happen. With 7.62x39 M78's getting $7-10,000 on the used market, there is some profit to be made
    A company would need to be Valmet... and no other, to be able to be Non restricted status though.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by $kull View Post
    A company would need to be Valmet... and no other, to be able to be Non restricted status though.
    Knowing the RCMP...I think so! Manufacturer: Valmet. Model: Hunter.
    If somebody asks me, "Why do you need an AR15?" I will ask them, "Why did Rosa Parks need to sit at the front of the bus?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast