CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Valmet Hunter 308 1999.00 USD in Canada Non Restricted

Yes pretty much. The valmet is an ak
    Banned in name and operation.
    The valmet gets off because the government gave the Inuit people valmet rifles and they couldn't take away the rifles they gave them to hunt with... so that one gets a pass. You all know how much sense our laws make. They cant even obey their own nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by rifleman762 View Post
    Isn't it just a fairly standard milled AK receiver? I can't imagine that being unreasonably pricey. They can be found in the USA for $500 and under for the bare receiver. I'm not experienced with CNC milling but I would think it requires less fixturing and machine time than a billet AR.

And there are no grey-market NR AR15 versions. Just incompatible rifles that use some of the same internal components and look similar.

Edit: but you are likely correct about the trademark issues. Valmet stands for Valtion Metallitehtaat which means Government's Metal Works, literally translated. Trying to license a name that sounds like a govt operation for the purpose of making guns wouldn't fly very well. Also, the current Valmet company is in the pulp and paper industry. That might be why Tikka/Sako/Beretta do not use that name.
    Valmet milled receivers are different enough from standard AK milled receivers to warrant new tooling, fixtures, software, etc. They require WAY more work to manufacture than a billet AR. It's milled from STEEL, not aluminum, and is more complex. Steel is MUCH more expensive to machine (and needs to be heat treated after).

There is a huge market, and lots of competition in US for AK milled receivers. That's why they "only" cost $500 (USD). AR-15 lowers, on the other hand can be had for $50. Hence my earlier comment "10 times as difficult".

I didnt say "NR AR15 version". I said "Ar-15 STYLE". We both know which receivers i was referring to. They arent any more difficult to manufacture than a standard AR15. It probably costs under $100 to manufacture them. Yet they sell for $1000 due to "non restricted AR15 tax". Imagine what a "Non restricted AK47 tax" would be, for a rifle that is MUCH more difficult to manufacture and from a company that had to jump through the hoops of acquiring the manufacturing rights from Beretta?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by zZ_denis View Post
    Valmet milled receivers are different enough from standard AK milled receivers to warrant new tooling, fixtures, software, etc. They require WAY more work to manufacture than a billet AR. It's milled from STEEL, not aluminum, and is more complex. Steel is MUCH more expensive to machine (and needs to be heat treated after).

There is a huge market, and lots of competition in US for AK milled receivers. That's why they "only" cost $500 (USD). AR-15 lowers, on the other hand can be had for $50. Hence my earlier comment "10 times as difficult".

I didnt say "NR AR15 version". I said "Ar-15 STYLE". We both know which receivers i was referring to. They arent any more difficult to manufacture than a standard AR15. It probably costs under $100 to manufacture them. Yet they sell for $1000 due to "non restricted AR15 tax". Imagine what a "Non restricted AK47 tax" would be, for a rifle that is MUCH more difficult to manufacture and from a company that had to jump through the hoops of acquiring the manufacturing rights from Beretta?
    It kind of rubbed me the wrong way you saying "grey market" regarding the SLR and Modern Sporter. No worries; we all know they are 100% legit. I won't guess on the manufacturing cost on those because I make frozen french fries for a living and only do hobbyist machining on manual machines. But it might be over $100.

Thanks for the info on the Valmet receiver being different; I was unaware of that. With that in mind I think it's technically feasible to build a Valmet for equal to the Canadian price of an M10X, for example. $2000? Even if the milled receiver costs the manufacturer $500 and a stamped AK receiver costs $50, that's +$450 cost on the rifle, not x10. Leaving $1000 for all the other components (I guess many also vary from standard AK parts) and profit on top of that. Heck, a complete WK180C is $1100 retail.

Regarding intellectual property, the name Valmet in Canada is registered to the Finnish pulp and paper technology company. Trademarks have to apply to a certain industry/goods so these are spelled out in the trademark details: https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/t...ng=eng&tab=reg

Interestingly, the Canadian trademark includes Guns and Ammunitions. However the US trademark for Valmet has cancelled Firearms, Ammunition, and Projectiles. So here, at least, you should be contacting these guys instead of Beretta/Sako:

Valmet Technologies, Inc.
    Keilasatama 5
    02150 Espoo
    FINLAND

There does not appear to be a design or name registration on the terms M78 or Hunter wrt a firearms. Any patents (if they ever existed) would have long since expired. Just throwing this publicly available info out there :-)
    If somebody asks me, "Why do you need an AR15?" I will ask them, "Why did Rosa Parks need to sit at the front of the bus?"

Quote Originally Posted by kapanak View Post
    At that price, of course it would sell quick.
    It's actually been there for quite a while but there was no picture as soon as the pic went up, gone.

Can you bring more in?

I wonder why someone looking for an M88 hunter would wait for a picture to show up...

Heck, if a M78 rifle popped up without a picture @ 2000$, I'd take it immediately.

I also wonder, if for some god awful reason we ban semi autos non-shotgun centerfires, if they kept the valmets non-restricted for the same reasons that these weren't prohib back then, how much one of these rifles would go for...
    .308 FTW
    Minh Ho Garand .308
    Valmet .308 (PSL - ARM?)
    Stag10 .308
    SVT-M
    x95 5.56 ---> Tavor 7 ?

HELP! I sold my soul to the internet caramel's Avatar
    The early bird get the worm.

Thanks IRG for bringing cool stuff in.
    Canada is an ok place to live. / Ontario is a good place to live. / France is a tasty place to live. / Qubec is home. / New Hampshire is paradise. /

I have one spare mag if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Arm&Gun View Post
    They certainly can if you can find one. M88s (like the one pictured) came in .223 (rare and more expensive, but can be converted to x39), .243, .308, and 30-06 (also rare and expensive). The m78s (look like rpks) came in .223 (rare and expensive), x39 (incredibly rare and expensive. Ive heard 60-100 ever made), and .308.
    If a .308 version sells for $2000 USD, how much more would a .223 version go for? Any thoughts?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123