Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Equipment Exchange Etiquette

Equipment Exchange Etiquette

Just wondering what exactly is the etiquette on the EE.
    In brief, I replied to a seller that I wanted the rifle for sale and would be happy to meet him to pick up later that afternoon or evening (I had the day off). Alas he informed me that another had spoken up before me but would let me know if the buyer did not show up. The next day I was notified by the seller that it was still available and asked if I was still interested. To say that I was delighted would be an understatement. I replied yes I was and asked for a contact number. This was a little after 3:30pm. I get back home around 6:30pm and head to my computer to see if there was any reply. Yes! There were two. First one has the phone number. Second mentions a scope is being included, all good. I'm just about to dial and see a new notification pop up, it says sorry but its been sold. Needless to say the harmonious vibes I was feeling came crashing down. I was not even given a couple hours before having the rug pulled out from under me. I would've expected it if I hadn't made contact that evening, but not in the middle of the work day.

My long preamble leads merely to this question. What is the customary period of acceptable time?
    My previous EE transactions went smoothly. And no, I'm not naming or shaming anyone. That's not my intent.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer IronCanadian's Avatar
    Every transaction is different, no standard, the seller should have given you more time to reply though.
    At some point in their life, everyone will gamble on a fart and lose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Generally, it's always first " I'll take it" that gets the deal, at least that's how most stand up sellers work. If his original buyer backed out and you gave a firm" I will take it" then it should have been yours once that was established. However, some don't operate like that these days,,move on to the next one, there are still many stand up sellers here,, it is damn disappointing when you loose one though
    The only good lefty is a Stag Arms lefty

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cyclops666's Avatar
    If you want the item and don't want to let it slip away, here's the best way to get it.
    Message the seller with "I'll take it " include your contact numbers and email and ask for his email for emt, as soon as you get his email, send the emt, this ensures that the item is yours.
    Anything else is just kicking tires

CGN frequent flyer
    The EE can be frustrating some buyers seem to send I’ll take it the moment an item pops up without asking further questions making it hard to get items.

In this case the seller should have confirmed if you still wanted it and given you more time.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops666 View Post
    If you want the item and don't want to let it slip away, here's the best way to get it.
    Message the seller with "I'll take it " include your contact numbers and email and ask for his email for emt, as soon as you get his email, send the emt, this ensures that the item is yours.
    Anything else is just kicking tires
    Did message back that "I want it". First time prior to being notified there was another buyer. Confirmed again when the first buyer in line bailed. Is it customary to send EMT payment ahead of a face-to-face transaction happening that day?
    Always been a believer in cash-in-hand being the preferred method of payment for anything not requiring shipping.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cyclops666's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HemiTO View Post
    Did message back that "I want it". First time prior to being notified there was another buyer. Confirmed again when the first buyer in line bailed. Is it customary to send EMT payment ahead of a face-to-face transaction happening that day?
    Always been a believer in cash-in-hand being the preferred method of payment for anything not requiring shipping.
    For many sellers, shipping is much easier than f2f, even local deals.
    I've bought a couple times from a guy who's a 20 minute drive away but I sent the emt's right away to ensure I got the items, then we hashed out the details me getting my hands on

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops666 View Post
    For many sellers, shipping is much easier than f2f, even local deals.
    I guess that makes some sense if that was what actually happened. In my instance the seller notified another guy after being in contact with me, who in turn came and picked up the rifle in question. That's what blows my mind, not even giving me a couple hours. Maybe on a weekend when a guy might be sitting around but during a work week day...

Appreciate any and all the thoughts, guys.
    Last edited by HemiTO; 03-30-2019 at 12:34 PM.

CGN frequent flyer
    Should have defintley given you more time especially with how much interest the rifle had. If I sell something that only a couple people message about it goes to the first person to send EMT regardless of who says I’ll take it first. The reason being that with limited interest you can’t always afford to wait around. IN this case they should have waited as it sounds like there was lots of interest.

Etiquette is a thing of the past !!!
    I live in a country where we cast votes with a pencil !!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast