Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Applying for RPAL: Sending in app before taking course?

Applying for RPAL: Sending in app before taking course?

Hey all,

I read on the Sticky (regarding shortening the PAL/RPAL application process) that you can save time by sending your application in before getting physical test results back so that the process can begin and then the proof of passing the course can be provided later on.

If I haven't completed the courses yet, but I plan to do my courses a week from now, would it be beneficial for me to send in my PAL/RPAL application now even though I haven't completed the courses yet and send the proof once I receive it?

CGN frequent flyer 84fuegoturbo's Avatar
    You need to wait it till you pass the course, others may have a dif opinion but 1 week or so won’t make a big difference.

Good luck on the course, just take your time and don’t forget acts and prove.

Okay thanks - I'll just wait out the week even though I'm pretty anxious!

CGN Regular
    My experience with the gub, is do things by the book.

Good luck at the course. Muzzle control / ACTS / PROVE

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLHTCUI's Avatar
    Hmm, let me see, you can buy some gas and store it in a gas can .
    You can then go and buy a car and pour the gas from the gas can into the gas tank after buying the car.
    Or putting the cart before the horse for that matter.
    FLHTCUI
    Infantryman Terry J Street,2nd Battalion, PPCLI, Shilo, Man. EOT, April 4 2008 Panjwayi District Afghanistan,Constable Jimmy Ng,RCMP EOW,Sunday, September 15, 2002

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BlackVoid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kronos2000 View Post
    Okay thanks - I'll just wait out the week even though I'm pretty anxious!
    When I was taking RPAL course, in the end, after passing it, they helped us to fill out the application and took pictures. (shameless plug for Silvercore ).

I still had to put the references in, finish it and mail it, but the initial help with paperwork definitely removed the anxiety from the process.

BTW, One of the most common mistakes I observed during the exam was people putting finger on the trigger as soon as they took the pistol. Another one was muzzle control during slide manipulation, people have a tendency to point it in random directions while fighting the slide.

You can probably send it in, however they won't even look at it until they receive your information which you will also need to send.

As well it will be a minimum of 28 business days before they will touch it as well. It's normal for a first time PAL/RPAL to weight upwards for 2 or 3 months some people even longer.

I would just get your Form filled out and picture done for now.

Years ago about 30+ you could apply for your FAC (Firearms Acquisitions Certificate) 3 months before you turned 16 and they would try and get it to you on your birthday. Back then if your FAC expired you could still keep your guns to certificate was only for buying more.
    "This is about unenforceable registration of weapons that violates the rights of people to own firearms."—Premier Ralph Klein (Alberta) Calgary Herald, 1998 October 9 (November 1, 1942 – March 29, 2013) OFAH Member

Send everything in as one package with tracking, you'll get the stamped results in 3-4 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by jdmaks View Post
    Send everything in as one package with tracking, you'll get the stamped results in 3-4 weeks.
    Why though? If you do this route you're looking at 8 weeks (in 4 weeks results will arrive, mail to Mirimachi then wait another 4 weeks or so for it to be entered in to the system). OR mail the application as soon as you pass the course and in about 4 weeks when you're application is entered in, you simply fax it and it takes 1-2 days for it to match up with your application.

OP seems to want to get the ball rolling, and that's the best way to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by xeronine View Post
    Why though? If you do this route you're looking at 8 weeks (in 4 weeks results will arrive, mail to Mirimachi then wait another 4 weeks or so for it to be entered in to the system). OR mail the application as soon as you pass the course and in about 4 weeks when you're application is entered in, you simply fax it and it takes 1-2 days for it to match up with your application.

OP seems to want to get the ball rolling, and that's the best way to do it.
    What’s the rush? The ban ain’t happening before the election *shrugs*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast