CanadianGunNutz.com logo, Firearms News and Classifieds in Canada

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CSC video on MDI SLR assembly

my MDI set from you guys was flawless, thanks! gas tube hole was already drilled. video helped a lot as it was my first build like this, but all went great. I did not enlarge
    safety hole in the trigger box and it works just don't put a retaining screw, trigger box will be held by safety anyway, it has nowhere to go.
    can't wait to go try it.

I realize that the retaining screw is not necessary but I’m slightly OCD (OK.... maybe slightly more than slightly). It’s all good though I stepped up in drill sizes until the safety lever wouldn’t bind (13/32”). Got the lower all together last night but my bolt catch is too tight, I don’t even have to test fire it to know that it’s not going to work. Guess I’ll be looking at buying a Gucci bolt catch now. The lowerparts kit is ALG.

I also have a ALG QMS trigger installed and when I try to put the upper on the lower with the hammer cocked it won’t go together, seems like the hammer is too big? Does anyone have any advice for the bolt catch and the trigger?

Chris
    Last edited by aldy86; 05-02-2019 at 10:59 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute... when you need one you usually need it pretty bad...

Quote Originally Posted by aldy86 View Post
    I realize that the retaining screw is not necessary but I’m slightly OCD (OK.... maybe slightly more than slightly). It’s all good though I stepped up in drill sizes until the safety lever wouldn’t bind (13/32”). Got the lower all together last night but my bolt catch is too tight, I don’t even have to test fire it to know that it’s not going to work. Guess I’ll be looking at buying a Gucci bolt catch now. The lowerparts kit is ALG.

I also have a ALG QMS trigger installed and when I try to put the upper on the lower with the hammer cocked it won’t go together, seems like the hammer is too big? Does anyone have any advice for the bolt catch and the trigger?

Chris
    The one I built had to have the screw in the trigger pack otherwise the trigger pack would shift around when pulling the trigger making an unpredictable trigger pull. I don’t think you can put the upper and lower together with the hammer cocked and bcg installed. Drop the hammer and slide them together.

Sponsoring Business Shooting Centre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aldy86 View Post

Chris
    Did you try the bolt catch before assembly to determine if it fit without interference? If so, it is possible the roll pin is tight inside the bolt catch. In this case, all some lube and move the part to loosen it up.

To assemble an SLR, the hammer must be released first, then the upper and lower mated and slid together.
    --
    Calgary Shooting Centre
    http://store.theshootingcentre.com/

For orders, please visit our online store or email us at: orders@theshootingcentre.com

Yeah it’s not the roll pin, as much as it sucks I think I will have to drive the roll pin out and file the bolt catch. Thanks for the info on the upper not mating with the lower while trigger cocked, I was just installing the upper to put it away for the night (upper not assembled yet, still trying to find a BEV block or reaction rod).

Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Centre View Post
    Did you try the bolt catch before assembly to determine if it fit without interference? If so, it is possible the roll pin is tight inside the bolt catch. In this case, all some lube and move the part to loosen it up.

To assemble an SLR, the hammer must be released first, then the upper and lower mated and slid together.
    A gun is like a parachute... when you need one you usually need it pretty bad...

Hey everybody,

New builder here and I was following the helpful video, but I had a LOT of trouble getting my bolt catch roll pin installed. It went in partially (with a decent amount of resistance/finagling) and then it just wouldn't go any further, to the point where now the end I was smacking with the punch is all bent and effed up. I assume now I need to drive it out and install a new roll pin, but it seems like my roll pin hole is super tight. I tried driving it out by using a smaller pin through the opposite side, but my punch broke... It appears to be jammed in there too tight. Any advice on how to drive it back out of the hole easily? Would lube help? A little heat? I am a complete noob so I have no idea what to do now and I don't want to ruin my receiver.

The rest of the build went ok. Basically I hate roll pins, they seem to be the most annoying part of the build.

Any help appreciated, thanks!

Bolt catch roll pins - not all are the same. Some are larger than normal, some are harder than others. Almost all of the damaged receivers we received showed signs of real abuse when installing a pin that just should not have been attempted. They are cheap, if your pin will not start properly, don't keep hammering.
    To start your pin, it is usually best to bevel or crimp the end. This allows it to smoothly glide through the hole, rather than gouging the hole and binding everything up. Some people have sanded their pins diameter down, and this is sometimes an option. We recommend just going out and buying another pin that is either softer or smaller in diameter.
    --
    Calgary Shooting Centre

For orders, please visit our online store or email us at: orders@theshootingcentre.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Centre View Post
    Bolt catch roll pins - not all are the same. Some are larger than normal, some are harder than others. Almost all of the damaged receivers we received showed signs of real abuse when installing a pin that just should not have been attempted. They are cheap, if your pin will not start properly, don't keep hammering.
    To start your pin, it is usually best to bevel or crimp the end. This allows it to smoothly glide through the hole, rather than gouging the hole and binding everything up. Some people have sanded their pins diameter down, and this is sometimes an option. We recommend just going out and buying another pin that is either softer or smaller in diameter.
    Awesome. Good advice, thanks.

Any tips on how to get it out?

Quote Originally Posted by Schwiggs View Post
    Awesome. Good advice, thanks.

Any tips on how to get it out?
    If you can't push it out, you will have to try pulling it out. Soak it in WD40 or penetrating oil first. Make sure your receiver is covered in tape to help eliminate scratches. If the pin breaks and still cannot be moved, it may need to be drilled out.
    --
    Calgary Shooting Centre

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123