Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: It appears Canadians and Czechs can cross-breed.... the Vz180C

CGN Ultra frequent flyer CobraGT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jammieappleseed View Post
    Id really like to know how it fires and if its solid after. Please let us know.
    I was planning to take it out this weekend, but doesn't look like that will be happening now. I'll update when I eventually have time. 6-month-old baby is taking up most of my time these days!
    The right to buy weapons is the right to be free Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intelligor illis
    EE Ads: Insurance is NOT included on any agreed "shipped" price!
    I take no responsibility for an EE item once it has been shipped.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer infidel29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraGT View Post
    When I first saw the 180C, I thought the AR15 stock on it was a travesty.... the AR NEEDS the buffer tube as a result of its design, but putting that stock onto a rifle that could potentially have a folding (or literally ANY other kind of) stock seems silly.

I had thought the ACR stock or ACE ARFX would be decent, but due to the length of the receiver behind the pistol grip, both are longer than I prefer.

A short Galil stock or Vz stock were the other option I had considered. With that in mind, I pulled the stock, and created this.... thing

BEHOLD, the hybrid Vz180C.... Vz stock and irons, with a Canadian rifle!

This stock fit so easily that I'd almost have thought Wolverine designed the rifle with it in mind. The indexing tab at the top of the stock needed to be filed slightly. Add a washer, use the factory WK180 bolt, and done. Cheekweld with the Scorpion iron sights is almost perfect.

I have to say that actually looks much better now that you've done those improvements. Well done!
    Pump actions speak louder than words.

Do you remember how hard the Liberals fought to keep the registry?
    Now you know why. - Dexter Morgan

Addenda: 26 JUN 2019 - ADDED RAPID PROTOTYPING MOCK UP OF ADAPTER.

See bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by lmar View Post
    If my memory serves me right CZ took a number of skeleton stocks and proceded to over-mold them with the "triangular" portion.
    Hence, they didn't have to design or modify existing stocks, other than to add new material.

Pretty simple and smart fix. Just have to find an AR buffer tube wrench to remove existing WK180C stock.

L
    Turns out you shouldn't believe everything you hear on the internet.

I went to dig out an old skeleton stock out of the spares bin and it became apparent that the story I heard on the interweb was incorrect (go figure).

There is no way you can over-mold the existing factory wire stock to arrive at the "improved version". The only thing both stocks had in common was the folding mechanism.

For the picture, I aligned the right side of the factory folder mechanism and compared it to the newer version.

As you can plainly see - they are two different beasts.

Lengths are 9.5" (top) vs. 11.25" (bottom).

Just waiting for buffer tube wrench to take the castle nut off of my WK180C. Might build an adapter as both factory stocks use a countersunk screw. While I could "bridge the gap" using the WK180C factory stock screw I want to get it as tight as possible.

Considering building an adapter plate to accommodate the raised protuberances on the factory stock which match a slot on the CZ to prevent rotation of the stock during "rough" use. Not sure I want to machine the receiver of the WK180C for the slot (although this would probably be the easiest.

Here is a mock-up of WK180C with factory AR setup and my "improved" CZ858 stock.

And another zoomed out a bit. Changes the look of the rifle quite a bit compared to the bare skeleton stock. Might just clear charging handle when folded.

I am hoping the added length and heavier folding stock will rebalance the rifle from nose-heavy to somewhat balanced. Not that happy gaining overall weight. Compromises have to be made I guess. Recoil might be mitigated somewhat due to the stock axis to barrel axis differential. B

Addenda: Here are a couple of pictures of the mock-up.

Note - I have to straighten the dowel pin. Due to the infill the dowel didn't "press" in straight.

Just have to see if I can mount it to the gun tonight when I get back home with the parts.

L
    Last edited by lmar; 06-26-2019 at 02:38 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "If sense is so common ..... why is it in such short supply?"

Looking forward to seeing the finished product...
    The right to buy weapons is the right to be free Barbarus hic ego sum, quia non intelligor illis

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraGT View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the finished product...
    With your VZ stock on there what's the length of pull like. I'm seriously considering this mod but i have ape arms and there is a concern.

Wow that looks great buddy nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by uAJollyRogering View Post
    With your VZ stock on there what's the length of pull like. I'm seriously considering this mod but i have ape arms and there is a concern.
    I'm 6' with long gorilla arms, and it feels good to me. About the same as a standard Vz58 with the same stock. This being said, I like my stocks short.

So I have the prototype on the rifle.

I'm close, but have to open up some dimensions to allow for some play/ease of installation/alignment.

Likewise, I have to angle the lower portion to match the angle at the bottom of the receiver.

So close.......

Discovered the limitations of rapid prototyping. Can't tighten the screw sufficiently to determine how solid the offset screw adapter will work to secure the stock to the receiver. The dowel pin doesn't do anything either.

Due to the 20% infill of the PLA material I hear "crunchy" noises every time I try to tighten the screw.
    Same result when I mount the rifle to test the length of pull and general eye alignment with the scope. Was worried about the extra length of the stock but it is a moot point - it fits nicely and feels more natural than the CZ it came off of.

The offset may be too much for the stock and the 1/4-28 screw given how the screw is lowered which results in a greater moment on the 1/4 screw which may/may not be sufficient (See below)

You can see how the lines "flow" between the receiver, adapter, and stock - hence the offset screw. Was trying to go for an OEM look that didn't scream "bubba" (not that I'm judging anyone").

This shot shows a better view of the transition between the parts - it is close to the final form - Just need to make it out of metal to determine how sturdy it will be in the final configuration.

Note - that in folded form the bottom of the stock lies "parallel" with the bottom of the receiver lines. Misses brass deflector and still enables actuation of safety. May have to remove magazine extension button as the stock "leans" into it when folded - and dumps the magazine when "pushed". Can't tell if this is an artifact of the "squishy" pla material which hopefully will not be duplicated when done in aluminum.

Last edited by lmar; 06-28-2019 at 06:46 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "If sense is so common ..... why is it in such short supply?"

I've got a WK180C on order. (probably arrive Feb. 2020)
    Can i expect most VX58 compatible stocks to work?
    i.e. the Fab Defense UAS VZ P
    https://www.fab-defense.com/en/weapo...er-joint-.html

I like the idea of the adjustable cheek riser to keep me inline with AR height optics.
    I also used one a VZ58 and it seemed OK to me.

Thanks in advance for for any advice.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345