Thread: Recent TNW ASR Purchase

CGN Regular

Recent TNW ASR Purchase

Never knew about Shooters Direct until I was looking for a black TNW ASR in 10 mm Auto. Found them when doing a search on CGN. Shot them an email and had same day information and confirmation of stock, all questions asked were answered. Paid online and received notification of same day that the rifle was shipped. Pretty impressed with Shooter Direct so far....really helpful employee named Richard. Highly recommend Shooters Direct.

Rifle purchased:

Last edited by Runt; 04-17-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    *Exchange offers expire within 24hrs*

CGN Ultra frequent flyer slicknick's Avatar
    They coming with a new forend, now? Looks good.
    WARNING - This signature has been found to cause cancer in labratory mice

How does it shoot in 10mm?

Quote Originally Posted by slicknick View Post
    They coming with a new forend, now? Looks good.
    The Skeleton Handguard is available for an additional charge:

https://www.shootersdirect.ca/skelet...urvival-rifle/

I have a JR, shoots great, but I do like the look of a "tube" gun, very nice. And want colour is yours, Bronze/brown...nice!
    Cheers

CGN Ultra frequent flyer kodiakjack's Avatar
    Detailed range report please!
    The Bee does not squander his time trying to explain to the Fly why honey is better than s**t. Each creature is content with the meal laid before them, so the Bee reserves his endeavor for those who know its worth.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakjack View Post
    Detailed range report please!
    My ASR came with a few nice features I did not expect, such as a 9/16-24 threaded barrel with thread protector, a Glock brand mag and one accessory rail.

The optional accessory ASR Skeleton hand guard I opted for is very easy to install and gives you the distance required for AR15 type flip up sites. I was worried the rail would not be machined tight enough to allow hitting targets with the ARMS40’s when broken down and reassembled. Its machined so precise it locks in same spot each time therefore allowing the open sites to work perfectly! That's impressive.

I added a Magpul MOE stock, Burris PEPPER QR mount and a Primary Arms 1-6X ACSS illum. ret. scope with a goal to take rabbits at 100 m.....but that ain't going to happen. More on that later.

The rifle is compact and fits in two pieces in a 20 L pack, light weight at around 6.7 lbs and well balanced with this set up. Easy to take down, simple and nicely machined and finished.

The first range trip the rifle functioned flawlessly with 150 rounds of Wolf 180 gr truncated bullets down range. Chambered in 10 mm Auto it has a bit more kick then a 8lb AR chambered in .223...I plan on adding a Lone Wolf .40 caliber compensator to tame the reticle bounce.

Accuracy is very hard to achieve with the factory trigger. It is by far the worst trigger I have ever experienced. Gritty, horrible creep, extremely heavy pull. With a support under the handguard with no rear support at 50 m the groups are roughly 5”….the trigger is that bad! I couldn't hit a 8.5x11”paper at 100 m. Blows my mind TNW sends rifles out with a trigger like this one. Reading on the web it's apparently a normal ASR "lawyer" trigger.

Good thing TNW has a “match grade trigger” available … I think I really need it and will reevaluate and reserve the final opinion of the ASR then. I really like everything else about this rifle so I'm really hoping the Match Grade Trigger will improve the accuracy so I can hit a rascally rabbit at 100 meters which to me is the standard required of a "Survival Rifle".

In closing ASR is a great design, light weight, compact & well made rifle. However great the design or excellent fit and finish is for not once you squeeze the trigger. It is horrible and ruins the rifles potential.

5 shot group taken @ 50 m
    Last edited by Runt; 04-17-2019 at 11:43 AM.

That looks interesting! I've always liked the look of the ASR and the 10mm out of the long barrel is intriguing. Any fail to feed or extract?

How much is the match trigger?

CGN Regular
    No, issues. Fed perfectly. It's a excellent PCC rifle with a very bad trigger. Only complaint. Richard is looking into the Match Grade Trigger.

CGN Regular
    Up date! So Richard at Shooters Direct being the awesome fellow he is let me know that TNW would be sending me a upgraded trigger. I'm happy to report it's very good! Very clean break at I would guess 3 lbs or maybe less. I did not take a picture of the target this time but groups have shrunk in half compared to previous effort. This rifle is awesome! Turned out to be the perfect addition to my heli. kit. Super happy with it and even happier with Shooter Direct! Thank you Richard.

Last edited by Runt; 05-12-2019 at 12:45 PM.