Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: ...

My SLR was the biggest disappointment I've ever had firearms related. Charging handle cutout wasn't machined properly, so the entire receiver set was already a paperweight to begin with, but I unfortunately found that out after I had already spent a frustrating evening partially assembling the lower (the usual pin holes being poorly machined, t9 trigger housing, etc). I could tolerate some QA issues if the SLR design wasn't already such a compromise to begin with (that being the screw takedown method, the trigger box, etc).

When I finally received my Sporter, I couldn't believe how easy it was to assemble. I'm used to assembling Aero uppers/lowers which are fantastic already, but the Sporter was a different level. Barrel was buttery smooth to install, and so were the trigger pins (I barely had to use a punch/hammer to seat the pins). Only problem I've had with the sporter is the Magpul grip being loose (a common thing on first gen lowers I've been told) because of the grip screw length, which is an easy enough fix and no big deal. My Geissele 2 Stage Enhanced trigger from Brownells also isn't functioning like a two-stage, but thats likely due to me messing up the install of it (the retaining spring is not like other Geissele trigger installs so I likely messed it up). Either of these problems are not something that requires me to dremel a $1000 receiver set, which at that price point is something I would refuse to do.

Basically, MDI has zero excuse for poor QA at the price they are charging when ATRS shows what $1000 should get you in terms of quality. Plus, the only compromise of a Sporter vs a regular AR-15 receiver set is the rear takedown bar instead of a pin, which I can live with.

Ordering two more Sporter sets wasn't a difficult decision at all!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer jiffx2781's Avatar
    Last edited by jiffx2781; 05-17-2020 at 11:51 PM.
    "Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon..... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to s#!t on the board and strut around like it won anyway."

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Airborn_69's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ATRS Shaun View Post
    The OP has posted a thread about his SLR in the general forums, it turned into a near legendary thread with bans and suspensions (himself included) . He asked if we would mind a comparison thread in our private forum to ensure it can't derail into an absolute #### show. Up to this point, to the best of my knowledge, nothing at all has been removed or deleted. But thanks for playing.
    No dirt here, just a fan of your product.

Alas a past pre-order has left me with a sour taste in my mouth so I’ll have to wait.. (Another sponsor, not you.)
    Ex NFA Member.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutt-roc View Post
    i'd rather have my daughter be a whore than have my son work the guncounter at wholesale sports

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty94 View Post
    My SLR was the biggest disappointment I've ever had firearms related. Charging handle cutout wasn't machined properly, so the entire receiver set was already a paperweight to begin with, but I unfortunately found that out after I had already spent a frustrating evening partially assembling the lower (the usual pin holes being poorly machined, t9 trigger housing, etc). I could tolerate some QA issues if the SLR design wasn't already such a compromise to begin with (that being the screw takedown method, the trigger box, etc).

When I finally received my Sporter, I couldn't believe how easy it was to assemble. I'm used to assembling Aero uppers/lowers which are fantastic already, but the Sporter was a different level. Barrel was buttery smooth to install, and so were the trigger pins (I barely had to use a punch/hammer to seat the pins). Only problem I've had with the sporter is the Magpul grip being loose (a common thing on first gen lowers I've been told) because of the grip screw length, which is an easy enough fix and no big deal. My Geissele 2 Stage Enhanced trigger from Brownells also isn't functioning like a two-stage, but thats likely due to me messing up the install of it (the retaining spring is not like other Geissele trigger installs so I likely messed it up). Either of these problems are not something that requires me to dremel a $1000 receiver set, which at that price point is something I would refuse to do.

Basically, MDI has zero excuse for poor QA at the price they are charging when ATRS shows what $1000 should get you in terms of quality. Plus, the only compromise of a Sporter vs a regular AR-15 receiver set is the rear takedown bar instead of a pin, which I can live with.

Ordering two more Sporter sets wasn't a difficult decision at all!
    It's so weird to hear so many people call the rear take down bar a down side/ compromise but they actually did it on purpose as a improvement. I think most people would rather a pin than a bar. But it does basically take down easier and faster the way they made it.
    www.canadiangunnutz.com

Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by rimlick View Post
    It's so weird to hear so many people call the rear take down bar a down side/ compromise but they actually did it on purpose as a improvement. I think most people would rather a pin than a bar. But it does basically take down easier and faster the way they made it.
    It’s a pin , not a bar.
    And it’s removable.

Quote Originally Posted by 45C View Post
    It’s a pin , not a bar.
    And it’s removable.

I'm referring to the difference between a standard ar15 rear takedown pin. That's held in place with a spring and detent. The modern sportster does not use this sort of setup. The rear bar, not pin, is meant to be held in place and not removed during the field stripping process. So I'm not sure what you mean, it sounds like you are confused.
    www.canadiangunnutz.com

BANNED
    Its removable and ATRS can put a standard rear pin if you so choose. Wonder if ATRS can put a home depot bolt instead as a takedown option. LoL

Super GunNutz
    I'm referring to the difference between a standard ar15 rear takedown pin. That's held in place with a spring and detent. The modern sportster does not use this sort of setup. The rear bar, not pin, is meant to be held in place and not removed during the field stripping process. So I'm not sure what you mean, it sounds like you are confused.
    Nope, I’m not confused.
    Just saying it’s a removable pin.
    I don’t think there’s any Benifit to removing it, although it did allow me to install a HSNM.

Agreed

CCFR — CSSA

Super GunNutz
    It is a good system, only issue was the C hook was to thick,causing a couple of triggers not to function correctly.
    I think thy resolve this though,by removing a small amount of material from the bottom of the C hook.

All I was referring to was that the pin was removable, and by doing so it allowed a problematic trigger to fit.