Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast

Thread: ...

For the magwell, looks like a peck drilling cycle with either a dull drill or too high of a feed rate. Maybe both.
    I am a kit hor(der)

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jiffx2781 View Post
    Owning both I thought I'd post a few pictures here to show some differences for those trying to make a decision.

Just received this set a couple days ago and am still waiting on some parts so it's not yet assembled but here it is:

Initially it looks pretty well done. Anodizing is dull but consistent. Still looks good though.

Attachment 265867

Attachment 265868

But then I noticed a couple issues with the machining:

Attachment 265871
    Hole in upper isn't large enough to insert the gas tube. Not really a big deal though.

Attachment 265877
    And then there's this ^^^ Not quite sure what happened here

Now a few pics of the MS receiver. This ones assembled but you can still see what it's like:

Fit and finish is nice. Anodizing is a nice deep colored smooth hard finish. Doesn't mark easily.

Attachment 265881

Attachment 265887

Attachment 265888
    ^^^ Magwell is cut perfectly

I could not find a single machining issue anywhere on the MS receiver.

I'm glad there are companies building these products and we have options that until recently didn't exist. That being said I'm extremely impressed with the level of build quality and attention to detail that ATRS puts into their product. The MS is by far my favorite.

*please note, the purpose of this post is simply to show the difference between the two products and let you decide for yourself.
    I wonder what sort of tool they used to hack that magwell out. The steps look to far apart to be end mills or a broach unless the broach was loose in the tool holder.
    The difference between the ATRS magwell being wire EDM cut and whatever Crapabee is doing is painfully obvious. I too ditched mine SLR due to the out of spec holes and the TD screw being so terribly badly installed but I have to be honest it did not have as nasty a magwell as yours does.

My serials are ~25 lower than yours, and I also got bit with the gas tube clover leaf not being opened to accept a gas tube.
    My chatter marks in the magwell aren’t as gnarly as yours, but they’re visible too.

Contacted CSC via PM, and they did mentioned they’d send a return shipping label. Not sure how they intend on fixing the issues, or if it’ll be a replacement receiver, refund, or what.
    I can open the gas tube area myself, but then that area is now in the white and not anodized. I can live with the magwell if it doesn’t affect function - but not what you’d expect at 1K

Wow that MDI magwell photo really shows some shoddy workmanship to quickly remedy the steel magazine concerns. My take on it is they read far to many negative posts which hasted a half hearted repair. Very disappointed.
    CCFR — CSSA

Is there enough material to drill a hole in the crapabee to put a takedown pin in it and ditch that stupid bolt?

BANNED
    Holy #### they beat BCL in the ####ty machining department, I didnt think that was actually possible. Goes to show you they just want to milk this cash cow as fast as possible.

ATRS prices, BCL quality!

Exactly. The premium price isn’t worth what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by koesdibyo View Post
    My serials are ~25 lower than yours, and I also got bit with the gas tube clover leaf not being opened to accept a gas tube.
    My chatter marks in the magwell aren’t as gnarly as yours, but they’re visible too.

Contacted CSC via PM, and they did mentioned they’d send a return shipping label. Not sure how they intend on fixing the issues, or if it’ll be a replacement receiver, refund, or what.
    I can open the gas tube area myself, but then that area is now in the white and not anodized. I can live with the magwell if it doesn’t affect function - but not what you’d expect at 1K
    |CCFR|

Quote Originally Posted by Patt08 View Post
    Exactly. The premium price isn’t worth what you get.
    Oh I wouldn’t go that far because we pay a premium for NR status. Hell look at how much we pay for a mass produced offering from Stag. Hay, I am willing to pay for play.
    CCFR — CSSA

Yeah, BAD receiver sets are in that $700 range so I guess 1k for a NR set is about right for something not mass produced and from a small shop if the quality is there ( which my SLR it was not). I meant more it’s a premium price for a new product from a new company.

Quote Originally Posted by Sqr View Post
    Oh I wouldn’t go that far because we pay a premium for NR status. Hell look at how much we pay for a mass produced offering from Stag. Hay, I am willing to pay for play.
    |CCFR|

I just got mine too, also a few serials lower than your, but from a different vendor. I don't have the dull anodizing but rather a sleeker black anodizing, however there machining marks are clearly visible everywhere especially on the lower with where the serial number is. magwell looks very similar to yours, but not as pronounced. Same issue with the gas tube hole, undersized. Can't say I'm too impressed either.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891012 ... LastLast