Page 1 of 18 12345678911 ... LastLast

Thread: C-71 set for third reading Tomorrow.

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar

C-71 set for third reading Tomorrow.

So according to reports in the National Post, looks like C71 will be going through the Senate for third reading/vote TOMORROW, and all intelligent/logical reforms proposed have been rejected (but at least they also rejected that nut-bar lady's attempt to piggy back a handgun ban in too)...

Anyways, I'm posting this because we get inundated with questions on C71 as they pertain to orders for Modern Sporters and other rifles. Biggest question we usually get is "Do you think it'll go through?" and the answer to that with this latest news, is a resounding "Unfortunately".

So to clarify, if the order is paid in full, the invoice is closed, serial number assigned and paperwork is filed. The sale and transaction are complete and not subject to C71, from that point forward it is YOUR rifle and we are simply doing some work to it. The paperwork being finalized and closed, is the point at which the sale is completed.

If you have a deposit down, the rifle is still property of ATRS, and the deposit is a promise of a sale, but the sale is not completed. So in that case if the paperwork is finalized AFTER C71 the sale is completed after and subject to the regulations. I'd suggest reading up on it to determine your own comfort level, but while it's not a "registry", a reference number is required for every sale either business to private individual, or private individual to private individual.

Links are located here:
    https://openparliament.ca/bills/42-1/C-71/
    https://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/en/42-1/bill/C-71/third-reading
    https://ipolitics.ca/2019/05/07/liberal-gun-bill-finally-set-to-clear-parliament/?fbclid=IwAR1AX-EYqI59M_VDEsHTpStdpAEIX497riiYCeRFXRSYgc8T6w-p9mL_xEE

CGN frequent flyer
    My restricted to non- restricted ratio is very high 24/30. Does not matter to me.

So if it does pass it still takes time to go into effect correct? So a modern Sporter would not need to be paid in full today, just before it becomes law?

if we already paid the deposit for both the upper and lower....how do we paid the lower in full before this becomes law?

Wouldn't the regulations begin to apply after the bill receives royal assent? That can happen next week, or it can take several weeks or months. It's not law until then.

Quote Originally Posted by kapanak View Post
    Wouldn't the regulations begin to apply after the bill receives royal assent? That can happen next week, or it can take several weeks or months. It's not law until then.
    This is true but the horse cops are chomping at the bit to enforce more assinign regulations as soon as they can and will more than likely try to enforce this garbage before it receives royal assent

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Suther's Avatar
    Considering how little time is left in session before the election cycle begins, it won't be long before this receives royal assent.
    "We don't take souls, we leave that to wives and girlfriends, but we can do a layaway " - Grumpy Wolverine.

If you need religion to have good morals then you don't actually have good morals.

Business Member Rep. ATRS Shaun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Considering how little time is left in session before the election cycle begins, it won't be long before this receives royal assent.
    This is exactly my concern, and I've had numerous people ask me my opinion on whether or not they should be worried or concerned about C71 happening. I've been trying to be optimistic and hoping that it will get delayed until we get a new government, but it's pretty clear that is not happening at this point. So I apologize, I'm not trying to fear-monger but I had several people, too many for me to remember individually, ask me my own personal opinion, and these directly and immediately alters my opinion on the topic. Hence a post.

The previous comment regarding this not becoming law until royal assent is 100% accurate as well.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rangebob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Len One O View Post
    So if it does pass it still takes time to go into effect correct?
    Third reading vote (this week), then
    Royal Assent (this week), then
    Coming into Force dates (unknown, but could be this week).

Coming into Force
    Order in council
    22 (1) Section 1, subsections 3(2) and 4(2) and sections 16 and 18 to 21 come into force on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council.
    Order in council
    (2) Section 2 comes into force on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council.
    Order in council
    (3) Subsection 4(3) and sections 6, 8 and 15 come into force on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council.
    Order in council
    (4) Sections 5 and 9 to 11 and subsection 13(1) come into force on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council.
    Order in council
    (5) Section 7, subsection 13(3) and section 14 come into force on a day to be fixed by order of the Governor in Council, but that day must not be before the day referred to in subsection (4).
    -- Bill C-71, Third Reading, Text of the Bill, https://www.parl.ca/DocumentViewer/e...reading#enH606

Governor in Council means that as soon as it gets Royal Assent, Minister of Public Safety Ralph Goodale can Gazette when he wants the various sections to come into force. For example, if the Canadian Firearms Program doesn't have the software ready to issue Reference Numbers, Goodale may delay that section until that time.
    Last edited by rangebob; 05-08-2019 at 05:12 PM.
    One eye to the past. One eye to the future. The wisest course.

Is there nothing the conservatives can do as far as getting them to have to do another review on the bill or is this really it?

Page 1 of 18 12345678911 ... LastLast