For someone who is out of the loop, buying this receiver makes your rifle non restricted? as long as it has the proper 18.5 inch barrel length?

For someone who is out of the loop, buying this receiver makes your rifle non restricted? as long as it has the proper 18.5 inch barrel length?

Search Maccabbee SLR and ATRS Modern Sporter

Both are proprietary receiver sets; ie. NOT AR15 receivers. Although, they are "loosely" close in resemblance to the AR15, they are different (cannot interchange).
However, both were designed to accept the majority of AR15 bits and pieces.

After having both I would say I agree 100%
My ATRS MS is flawless
My SLR had a few issues, totally serviceable, but not the same level of detail.
Also enthused that people are happy with what they got as it's a great time for quality NR rifles in Canada.

That mag well on the MDI looks like they let some beavers just chew out the inside... I own a MDI (and work for a welding and machining company) but mind doesn't look that bad.... the outer finish is very co-op student level... but that looks like it came out of the Norinco factory lmao

My sentiments exactly. My SLR was totally serviceable. But it was a pain getting the roll pins in, and the takedown bolt kept falling out while I was shooting(well loosening off but once it came off). From what I’ve seen, and what I’ve come to expect from ATRS quality judging by past products I’ve had ( Modern Varmint) I would go with the MS. They are both the same price more or less, but I would have a hard time ever spending $1000 on an SLR again when the MS are available for the same price lol. IMHO the SLR is priced $200 too high for what it is.

Also agree that it’s a great time for NR. These products are all great and it’s good to have a little bit of competition/variety in the market!

After having both I would say I agree 100%
My ATRS MS is flawless
My SLR had a few issues, totally serviceable, but not the same level of detail.
Also enthused that people are happy with what they got as it's a great time for quality NR rifles in Canada.

Hole in upper isn't large enough to insert the gas tube. Not really a big deal though.

Why isn't that a big deal? I don't imagine it being a very easy fix, but I've never owned an AR style semi before.

Owning both I thought I'd post a few pictures here to show some differences for those trying to make a decision.

Just received this set a couple days ago and am still waiting on some parts so it's not yet assembled but here it is:

Initially it looks pretty well done. Anodizing is dull but consistent. Still looks good though.

View attachment 265867

View attachment 265868

But then I noticed a couple issues with the machining:

View attachment 265871
Hole in upper isn't large enough to insert the gas tube. Not really a big deal though.

View attachment 265877
And then there's this ^^^ Not quite sure what happened here :confused:

Now a few pics of the MS receiver. This ones assembled but you can still see what it's like:

Fit and finish is nice. Anodizing is a nice deep colored smooth hard finish. Doesn't mark easily.

View attachment 265881

View attachment 265887

View attachment 265888
^^^ Magwell is cut perfectly ;)

I could not find a single machining issue anywhere on the MS receiver.

I'm glad there are companies building these products and we have options that until recently didn't exist. That being said I'm extremely impressed with the level of build quality and attention to detail that ATRS puts into their product. The MS is by far my favorite.

*please note, the purpose of this post is simply to show the difference between the two products and let you decide for yourself.

I wonder what sort of tool they used to hack that magwell out. The steps look to far apart to be end mills or a broach unless the broach was loose in the tool holder.
The difference between the ATRS magwell being wire EDM cut and whatever Crapabee is doing is painfully obvious. I too ditched mine SLR due to the out of spec holes and the TD screw being so terribly badly installed but I have to be honest it did not have as nasty a magwell as yours does.

My serials are ~25 lower than yours, and I also got bit with the gas tube clover leaf not being opened to accept a gas tube.
My chatter marks in the magwell aren’t as gnarly as yours, but they’re visible too.

Contacted CSC via PM, and they did mentioned they’d send a return shipping label. Not sure how they intend on fixing the issues, or if it’ll be a replacement receiver, refund, or what.
I can open the gas tube area myself, but then that area is now in the white and not anodized. I can live with the magwell if it doesn’t affect function - but not what you’d expect at 1K

Wow that MDI magwell photo really shows some shoddy workmanship to quickly remedy the steel magazine concerns. My take on it is they read far to many negative posts which hasted a half hearted repair. Very disappointed.

Holy #### they beat BCL in the ####ty machining department, I didnt think that was actually possible. Goes to show you they just want to milk this cash cow as fast as possible.

ATRS prices, BCL quality! :jerkit:

Exactly. The premium price isn’t worth what you get.

My serials are ~25 lower than yours, and I also got bit with the gas tube clover leaf not being opened to accept a gas tube.
My chatter marks in the magwell aren’t as gnarly as yours, but they’re visible too.

Contacted CSC via PM, and they did mentioned they’d send a return shipping label. Not sure how they intend on fixing the issues, or if it’ll be a replacement receiver, refund, or what.
I can open the gas tube area myself, but then that area is now in the white and not anodized. I can live with the magwell if it doesn’t affect function - but not what you’d expect at 1K

Exactly. The premium price isn’t worth what you get.

Oh I wouldn’t go that far because we pay a premium for NR status. Hell look at how much we pay for a mass produced offering from Stag. Hay, I am willing to pay for play.

Yeah, BAD receiver sets are in that $700 range so I guess 1k for a NR set is about right for something not mass produced and from a small shop if the quality is there ( which my SLR it was not). I meant more it’s a premium price for a new product from a new company.

Oh I wouldn’t go that far because we pay a premium for NR status. Hell look at how much we pay for a mass produced offering from Stag. Hay, I am willing to pay for play.

I just got mine too, also a few serials lower than your, but from a different vendor. I don't have the dull anodizing but rather a sleeker black anodizing, however there machining marks are clearly visible everywhere especially on the lower with where the serial number is. magwell looks very similar to yours, but not as pronounced. Same issue with the gas tube hole, undersized. Can't say I'm too impressed either.

Back
Top Bottom