Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is a good affordable first shotgun for target/skeet shooting

what ever it is, it has to fit you. if it doesn't fit, you will just get frustrated. google trap gun fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Briguybc View Post
    Hello
    Looking to buy my first shotgun and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction as I dont know much about brands and quality
    You can use any type of shotgun for clays. But be warned, if you decide on an over/under, you will be going down a very deep rabbit hole. My only suggestions are 1, find one in 12 gauge because it is the most common, most re sellable and most flexible cartage. 2, go with a big name manufacturer like Browning, Beretta, Mossberg, Remington, etc. and avoid the Turkish and Chinese guns. Nothing agains the Turkish and Chinese but these bigger companies have a longer and better track record not that things don't ever go wrong with their guns but they are in general statistically more reliable, parts are easier to come by and they have better warranties. And 3, find one that fits you best and that you enjoy shooting the most. Even guns in the same category will fit you differently from one to another which will effect the shooting experience. For example, I thought the Winchester model 12 was the bee's knees until I bought one and found the fit to be fat and clunky compared to my Ithaca 37 with its corn cob slide guard. Let us know what you decide.

For an entry level gun for hunting a Mossberg 500 or 535 with a rifled barrell and a smooth bore. Your covered for a lot of wild game. I bought my 535 because I wanted to try reloading slugs and might have 6 shots on the smooth bore barrel. I prefer one of my double barrel 16's or 12's when I go after the smaller animals. Try some different shotguns and see how they fit. A poor fitting gun magnifies recoil.
    Whats your primary use of the gun for ?
    What gauge do you want ?
    what type of action are you comfortable with ?
    How much are you willing to spend?
    Your question needs to be narrowed down.
    Part of the problem is just too many to choose from. Eliminate what you don't want and reduce your choices.
    Smokeless powder is just a passing fad. #1 gun rule,carry one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12