Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just got a rifle with bad head space issue

Let me get this straight...

You're retiring your rifle based on one single round, and just a blown primer?

You're gonna mess with the barrel and headspace based on one single blown primer/primer pocket you have absolutely no idea may have been bad to begin with?
    There are only two types of people in this world, those who want to control others, and those who have no such desire. The former is the enemy of humanity.

Stand together. Stand strong. Don't give them an inch for they will take a mile.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Mark-II's Avatar
    Blown out primers are an indication of grossly over pressured ammo, if anything.

Try a different brand or lighter/shorter bullet (maybe the chamber has a short throat?)
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tjhaile's Avatar
    First of all, a blown primer is not a typical symptom of excessive headspace; something is wrong with the round you fired. Incipient head separation is the normal sign. This can be seen as a thin, bright line near the head of the case and/or a notch around the inside that can be felt using a dental pick or a hook made from a paperclip.

Second, a case is not a headspace gauge. A new or fully resized case should be smaller than "go" by some amount that can be expected to vary. To use the gauges on a rifle with a plunger-type ejector (as on your Savage), your bolt needs to be stripped to remove the ejector, or the gauges need to be notched to clear the ejector (not typically found in calibres like .270 WSM). If the bolt closes on "go" and does not close on "field reject," the headspace is within spec. The actual headspace value can be measured with the "go" gauge and metal shims.

Buy the gauges and go from there.
    Free men DO NOT ask permission.
    "Don't hate me because I'm black." - Black Rifles
    Eradicate Nazism in Ukraine.
    IRUNGUNS will take your money and not supply what you’ve paid for.

Well I mean if you go fire a factory round out of a rifle you just picked up and it went totally sideways, would you wanna shoot it again? I like my eye sight. The reason I come here with this issue is because I don’t actually know what’s going on. At least now I have a better idea, I’m learning. Actually, besides my Jungle Carbine, I have not fired any factory loads out of any of my rifles. And this is my first issue. Always just figured factory loads would be safe, obviously not the case... I’d rather load my own anyway.
    If I knew where to find these gauges, I’d pick some up just so I’d know for sure, but all I have found is in the USA. Would somewhere like western gun parts carry these?

Uber Super GunNutz
    I have 4 or 5 headspace sets - bought them from Brownell's - added them on to orders of other stuff I was buying. Like the OP, I would be interested to know if there is a Canadian source for them.

Super Moderator
    You can buy gauges from the reamer manufacturers. Give Brownells a call, see if they stock .270WSM gauges.
    Proper gauges used correctly are the best way to determine if a firearm's headspace is within standard limits.
    Having a gunsmith check the headspace would be cheaper than buying gauges.
    Last edited by tiriaq; 04-24-2019 at 07:57 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12