Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USGI parts kits from Wolverine supplies

Expried Business Member

USGI parts kits from Wolverine supplies

I have been getting quite a few enquiries from folks here on CGN about the USGI parts kits.

I am currently working a price point for a package that will take a Chinese rifle, stripping all of the parts off of it and installing the USGI parts kit. Unfortunately I am unable to give a hard price on the job until I actually get a parts kit on my bench.

Where the action was cut will be the biggest stumbling block. Depending on where the receiver was cut will determine if the job is a straight forward disassembly or a bear of a job. This will effect the base cost of the job.

To answer a few commonly asked questions;

Yes the parts kit will fit the Chinese receiver.

Yes there may be a bit of fitting required for parts like the op-rod.

Yes, USGI parts kits are that much better quality than Chinese parts. I believe the parts kits are worth the money.

I hope this answers most of the questions, by all means ask any further questions you may have.

John

Expried Business Member
    I have spent most of the day today, cleaning, cataloguing, rating and sorting parts.

I grabbed a receiver I had earmarked for one of the USGI kit(s) and assembled a rifle. I then promptly blew it apart as the receiver is getting a heelstamp which requires annealing and re-heat treating.

The receiver "stubb" on the USGI kit is not terribly hard to remove. I removed a total of 6 "stubbs" today. Blowing apart a Chi-com Rifle is something that I do quite a bit of, so I am not concerned about that.

I believe I have enough info on what Wolverine Supplies has provided to give a "package" price on the job.

USGI/Chi-com Hybrid with a Wolverine Supplies USGI IDF Parts kit: $425

What the package entails;
    You send me a USGI Parts kit (HB or Standard profile) and a complete or partially complete Chinese rifle. I will remove and clean all of the parts from the USGI parts kit. I will remove all parts from the Chinese rifle (this will include removing the Flash Hider, Gas System etc) and break it down to its base parts. I cannot guarantee that the FH will come off in one piece. I will then install the USGI parts onto the Chinese receiver. I will fit the barrel to the receiver, index it at TDC. I will epoxy the oprob guide in place. I will lap the bolt to good contact on both lugs. I will tweak/fit the op-rod until it fits your receiver (some material may need to be removed from the oprod tab to fit the Chinese receiver). I will function test (tilt test, Hammer follow test etc), Test fire and zero the iron sights on the completed Hybrid rifle. All original Chi-com parts will be returned with the completed rifle so that you may sell the unused parts to re-coup some of the cost of the project.

All other extra services are offered, such as tig-welding etc.

I will fit the Hybrid rifle to whichever stock you send along (IDF USGI, Boyds Walnut or Chi-com if you prefer) at no charge. Chassis installation (Blackfeather, EBR etc) would be an up-charge. I am willing to do stock work (ie: filling selector holes etc.), but standard rates apply.

IF the headspace is a bit tight (it will not be overly large), I will cut the chamber to minimum spec if the barrel is a HB. I do not have a reamer that I am willing to use on a chrome lined standard profile barrels chamber.

If you have any questions feel free to ask here, via PM, email or phone.

John
    Last edited by m14medic.ca; 01-22-2017 at 02:50 AM.

How do the gas systems on the parts kits look? Hypothetically would it be worth stripping a norc totally down then rebuilding it with us parts minus the receiver and cutting the barrel to 18.5 for a squad scout configuration? As well, how are the israeli barrels? Are they still good enough for it to be worth going with surplus over chi-com?

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoulson64 View Post
    How do the gas systems on the parts kits look? Hypothetically would it be worth stripping a norc totally down then rebuilding it with us parts minus the receiver and cutting the barrel to 18.5 for a squad scout configuration? As well, how are the israeli barrels? Are they still good enough for it to be worth going with surplus over chi-com?
    I must apologize, I missed this question, somehow....

The gas systems in the kits I got are looking pretty decent. They show some use, one has no finish left, one looks NOS.

Some of the barrels I received look pretty bad (on the exterior), but show next to no throat erosion and have crisp clean rifling. One notable exception, the one HB I have looks like its NOS but shows throat erosion in the 3+ (on a 0-10 scale) which indicates an extra long leade or 2500+ rounds down the tube. Judging by the gas port, its the 2500 rnds....

The advantages of going with a USGI hybrid over factory Chi-com parts IMHO are; You can use any and all US made after market parts ie; Schuster adjustable gas plug. SEI Gas-lock with a front sight base etc. (especially nice if going the brush rifle way). You can also be assured that the bolt is not soft, that headspace will never start to grow over time etc. You will have the best possible parts available (pretty much since the M-14 was designed) used.

As for the question about cut/crown/thread. I see no reason why you couldn't cut n crown the barrel to 470mm, I usually cut them at 472mm (just to be on the safe side) measured from the boltface. I am not sure I would cut a HB (for myself), but on the flipside, I don't see why you couldn't or shouldn't if that is what you want.

Again, I have said this before, and I will say this again.

A site sponsor sells (when they have stock) USGI parts kits for $1100 (This does not include a Bolt, Barrel or Stock) and bolts for $450.

Then Wolverine comes along selling a complete kit for $950.... This is likely a once in a lifetime opportunity.... Parts of this quality do not come up on the Canadian market like this every day.

To paraphrase a well known M14 Guru Barney; "Don't buy one, Buy 2!"

Again sorry for the delay in my response.
    John

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Just because someone might want to know...

What would the cost be or extra concerns if someone sent you one of the IDF parts kits and a new LRB/Springfield/whatever receiver?
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

Super GunNutz
    John, from what you have seen of the IDF stocks, what would you suggest doing? What can we expect to pay to rehab an IDF stock vs using a Boyd's or Chi-com ?

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    Just because someone might want to know...

What would the cost be or extra concerns if someone sent you one of the IDF parts kits and a new LRB/Springfield/whatever receiver?
    New LRB, would likely be the same as a standard package (ish).... until I do one, it's all guess work. But I would imagine there will be less fitting of the op-rod etc. in any case it would not be more than the "hybrid" price.

I have an M25 on order from Wolverine, one of my customers also has one in-bound. So if you feel like waiting a bit (hopefully not too long) I will have a pretty good idea.

John
    Last edited by m14medic.ca; 02-01-2017 at 01:06 AM.

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tripoli99 View Post
    John, from what you have seen of the IDF stocks, what would you suggest doing? What can we expect to pay to rehab an IDF stock vs using a Boyd's or Chi-com ?
    A new Boyd's will likely cost less after the dust settles than a full re-hab on the IDF fiberglass stock.

If a fella wanted an "authentic" IDF look, the cost would be zero. Pay for a Fulton Armory fake selector switch to fill the hole and you'd have a pretty nice fugazzi.

The chi-com stock would probably be the easiest as I wouldn't swap out the connector lock. Very little tweaking would be possible (assuming a plastic fantastic stock). It would probably net the least accurate combo.

If you wanted to go with a IDF hybrid, say filling the selector holes with fiberglass, repairing the butt-stock area or a Garand mod, skim bed (to fill the gap), a light sand and a coat of paint, probably run up the bill another $300-$350.

The Boyd's would need very little fitting, probably at the most a $75 added charge at my end. I would need a Chi-com plastic fantastic to seal the stock liner and hardware from.

If you want a full NM package, including tig welding and bedding into a Boyd's Walnut, the whole package would run $825.

Keep the questions coming!

John

Expried Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tripoli99 View Post
    I just realized, I didn't fully answer your question.....

I'm not sure what the best course of action would be....

Personally I lean towards a USGI stock, and I prefer the selector cut-outs filled and a nice coat of color to dress up/hide the work. You'd be looking at $300 net cost.

What's a Boyd's walnut going for these days? $125 USD plus shipping, Tax and exchange... probably $225 plus my nut would net $300 Canadian. Sell the fiberglass from the parts kit for $175-$225 (depending on condition) and that's not a terrible option, if you like wood (everybody does don't they?)!

I don't think, that any of the fellas that are going to utilize my services will bother trying to utilize the chi-com plastic. Chi-com wood wouldn't be too bad. I do have a customer who plans to use an Italian walnut stock that his current rifle is sitting in.

All other options will net a higher cost, other than the Delta M-14 chassis, which I'm still on the fence about....

One of the kits I purchased is for me, I plan on using a LRB M25 & GI fiberglass for my personal build.

John

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by m14medic.ca View Post
    So if you feel like waiting a bit (hopefully not too long) I will have a pretty good idea.
    Thank you good sir for the reply! I wasn't interested myself, but I thought it would be good to get that one question 'out there' for everyone.

Good luck John, and here's to all going well with these kits.
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast