Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolverine & Kodiak - Announcement

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by badboybeeson View Post
    Nitriding is a type of Heat treating, one of the best for steel if you ask me, we Nitride all of our steel parts, depending on what type of Nitride process is used.
    In basic wording, Nitride gives the steel part a sub surface hardness without effecting the the core hardness of the steel product .
    for example our comps are pre hard 4140 steel at 32 RC and then nitride treated, this gives a sub surface or what most would call a surface hardness the around 60Rc.
    without the issues of a full core heat treat.
    i,m sure this is what is planed for the affected parts, that said i,m not in the know, this is just what we have been doing for the last 10+ years and it works well for us.
    bbb
    I also use black nitride on steel parts, in my limited experience I don’t consider the depth hard enough withstand the pressure required from a small explosion, unless the underlying steel has been hardened already (like pre hard 4041) since nitride is surface only.. I am curious to know if they ditched pre hardened steel to go with black nitiriding without realizing what they were doing, but I have a hard time believing that a gun maker would actually not know better.
    Last edited by grimalkin; 05-02-2019 at 07:02 PM.

Super GunNutz
    Quote Originally Posted by guess_kto View Post
    So I have to pay $20 in shipping just to see if they sold defective product to me?

I am not even talking about the hustle and waste of time.
    Cost me $15 from BC, and half that it seemed, was for your ONT 13% HST and fuel

Are you guys hydrogen embrittelment baking these parts for 24 hours at 375'F after nitrite treatment to relieve hydrogen embrittement stress???

Quote Originally Posted by MOPP4 View Post
    Are you guys hydrogen embrittelment baking these parts for 24 hours at 375'F after nitrite treatment to relieve hydrogen embrittement stress???
    Please address all questions about the manufacturing process to Kodiak as they are the manufacture, they can be reached at: service@kodiakdefense.ca
    Thanks

I know wolverine does "alot" and i thank you for the fire arms community i do not own one of these rifles but i do believe this could fix this issue if you can relay the msg to kodiak enginering dept.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grimalkin View Post
    I have read on reddit that they decided to REPLACE the heat treat with black nitride. Nitriding will not cause metal to become brittle... but not heat treating will cause the steel to break.

This is information from an email from someone that worked at Kodiak and was quoted by someone on reddit... perhaps someone at Kodiak can confirm or deny this.
    Nitride can cause metal to behave as if it were brittle if it is sunk to deep into the surface of the part or the part is a metal that does not like to be nitrided ie... s7 . Read up on white layers in steel after nitride

If the original carriers broke because of heat treating, chances are they were taken to high on the hardness scale at which point the thin walled areas became susceptible to fracture. Every metal had a point where they become brittle with heat treat.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by pierre trudeau View Post
    Nitride can cause metal to behave as if it were brittle if it is sunk to deep into the surface of the part or the part is a metal that does not like to be nitrided ie... s7 . Read up on white layers in steel after nitride

If the original carriers broke because of heat treating, chances are they were taken to high on the hardness scale at which point the thin walled areas became susceptible to fracture. Every metal had a point where they become brittle with heat treat.
    From what I understand they switched to nitriding and then carriers started to break

CGN Ultra frequent flyer caramel's Avatar
    BCG in the mail.
    Yep, fixed wing is great but rotary wing is ... GREAT. Life is good. JP.

CGN frequent flyer Sherlock Gnomes's Avatar
    I sent an email this morning and it bounce back will check again as to why the one provided didnt work.
    Real men use peep sights

Business Member Rep Wolverine .303's Avatar
    Lattitude - 49.89617 | Longitude - 100.85384
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherlock Gnomes View Post
    I sent an email this morning and it bounce back will check again as to why the one provided didnt work.
    Apologies what email are you referring to? Wolverine or Kodiak?

** Also I am going to say this again, if any posts on this thread use profanity, are not contributing to the subject matter related to this thread, or are uncivil they will be removed without any hesitation. **
    Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com
    www.wolverinesupplies.com