Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Musings of a Wolverine. May Edition

As it happens, I went to a private school in Montreal, which in those days also believed in the adage "spare the rod, spoil the child". They don't do those things any more of course, and I doubt the students are better served. It's one of the things that I think are for the worse in society. But I'm getting old and behind the times.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .22LRGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by All in fun View Post
    As it happens, I went to a private school in Montreal, which in those days also believed in the adage "spare the rod, spoil the child". They don't do those things any more of course, and I doubt the students are better served. It's one of the things that I think are for the worse in society. But I'm getting old and behind the times.
    Feeling the same way. On the other hand, I'm grateful to have grown-up in a pre-internet, pre-cell phone era too. My presence here is evidence I benefit from both...but it's a shame that kids today believe that having this stuff trumps discovering the world your own way, and at your own pace. Heck, even talking to my last girlfriend (who became my wife) on the phone required smooth talking her dad first...and he seemed to always be the guy answering the phone. lol Kids text their way around even simple things like that. We had to "have game" early on. lol

Great story!

Great story. I too grew up at times and in a place where everyone had to make a choice to either stand up for themselves or allow yourselves to be bullied. Everything happened while teachers weren't looking or didn't care to look and telling anyone on what was going on could literally (not figuratively) get a "snitch" beaten to death.

I chose to stand up and never had been bullied after that in my life, despite having changed 2 schools after that (due to us moving). Once you stood up for yourself, you kinda project that onto your surroundings and other people take notice without your having to do or say anything.

As a father to two kids just starting school I'm not sure what to think of the current system.
    On the one hand, it does protect those who are weaker and can't stand up to themselves or realize that they truly have no choice. On the other hand it now comes to who tells the teacher first.
    Kids still have fights and bullying didn't really go anywhere, but the parties involved now just have no choice but to rush to the teachers and make sure they are first to tell their version of the story to the teacher. Because if they don't, they'll be punished for it regardless of whether they were the bully or the bullied. And if neither tell, then the rest of the class will gladly do that for them.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. Fortunately, as of recent, some reasonable voices are heard. I kinda like this guy (especially the part where he explains the difference between bullying and assault/battery. I noticed he changed his message, BTW, he used to say - gather all you've got and fight back with all your might, now he says to "seek help", ha...):

Honestly, I don't agree with physical punishment, I think that it's effect is more "don't get caught" then "don't do it again". That said, legal action injected into a part of a kid growing up is a spectacular example of failing to parent. It misses the point, punishes the family and doesn't teach the children anything. Kids are kids, doing stupid things and receiving consequences is part of development, but it seems like people take it too far these days... Just my two cents worth from a know-nothing young fella.

A pleasure to read, love hearing stories of the past

we had a sadistic bastard that whacked us with a sawed off cricket bat.....

So where's you lawn, so I can stay off of it?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer City Boy's Avatar
    Thanks for sharing your story.

We’ve raised a new generation that are weak and, unfortunately, there are hardener people all over the world.

I was bullied as a child, it was unpleasant, and it made me a stronger person as I grew up and I strengthened my body and my resolve. I was able to keep a career that started with bully managers and I persevered and bought a home and a life and times just got better. I got an education even though it was hard. I still fail at things, but you know what? I have the life skills to get over it and move on. I don’t need a participation ribbon.

CGN Regular
    I don't think putting a stop to kids physically and psychologically torturing each other has made us weak. Nor removing corporal punishment from schools.

And the 'harder' people of the world who have many problems of their own, like being alcoholics with a life expectancy of 66 (Russia), or too prideful to listen to western instructors teach them how tanks and planes work (Saudi Arabia). China literally has a version of facebook that's used to track how 'good' of a citizen you are.

Who the #### are we supposed to be afraid of again?
    Never forget that the Canadian Forces Stand on Guard for Thee. Remember to repay that with True Patriot Love
    CCFR Member

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast