Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Musings of a Wolverine. May Edition

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Great story - hope it turns out well for your Family.
    When our Daughter was in Grade 6 or 7 ( late '80s ) she told me that one of her class mates was bullying her after School.
    We talked about it, suggested she talk to the Teacher about it and see what happens.
    It continues so I suggested that she tell the young Lady that the next time it happens, give the young Lady a final verbal warning that next time she gets decked.
    Daughter was concerned that she would get into trouble at School if she did so I told her to do it off School grounds and if there were any repercussions at School we would back her 100%. Daughter was quite surprised with my response.
    A few days later at a Parent / Teacher meeting we expressed our concerns to her Teacher and I told the Teacher exactly what will happen if the bullying doesn't stop. Teacher reacted with shock and dismay "We can't condone that sort of action" and I simply suggested that then the School should deal with the Bully before our Daughter did.
    Daughter did the "final warning" and no problems after.
    Some times you just have to deal with these things in a practical way.

Quote Originally Posted by HaliGunian View Post
    I don't think putting a stop to kids physically and psychologically torturing each other has made us weak. Nor removing corporal punishment from schools.
    You're right and I don't think no one in the right mind would say that everyone needs to go through overcoming bullying in their life just to be a stronger and better person, most do just fine without that experience in their life at all.

However one thing I'm observing the modern anti-bullying methods do is lower a perception of what bullying actually is. It is now getting harder to get people (especially younger ones) to do their job without being called a bully and/or called into a not-so-friendly HR conversation.

Meanwhile, cyberbullying is growing stronger (and will continue to do so with the "Like or share" addiction and emerging points-based social rating systems). So, while physical bullying may be on the decline, it was just replaced by psychological pressure on social networks. If you don't believe it exists - try posting an unpopular opinion on twitter or Facebook, and see what happens.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer .22LRGUY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by borsch View Post
    You're right and I don't think no one in the right mind would say that everyone needs to go through overcoming bullying in their life just to be a stronger and better person, most do just fine without that experience in their life at all.

However one thing I'm observing the modern anti-bullying methods do is lower a perception of what bullying actually is. It is now getting harder to get people (especially younger ones) to do their job without being called a bully and/or called into a not-so-friendly HR conversation.

Meanwhile, cyberbullying is growing stronger (and will continue to do so with the "Like or share" addiction and emerging points-based social rating systems). So, while physical bullying may be on the decline, it was just replaced by psychological pressure on social networks. If you don't believe it exists - try posting an unpopular opinion on twitter or Facebook, and see what happens.
    Great points, you're 100% right. The internet has made it easier for coward bullies to practice their trade, and if what I hear is true...the outcomes can be allot worse. I wouldn't be surprised if bullying was worse these days than it was when I was a kid in the 70s. At least back then...if you wanted to be a jerk, you had to roll the dice with respect to (potential) physical consequences. Getting punched in the face really frames how you deal with situations going forward. lol I learned the hard way, but also learned to throw the first one...and make it count. lol Thankfully, I was in high school that last time that happened.

Thank you for sharing Mr Wolverine.

I can relate, in my case the girls resided in a separate building across the road. The boys school was run by Brothers, the girls by Nuns. We could be recipients of up to six "of the best" on the butt with a cane while the girls could expect up to six on the palms with a "seven eyed Susan", a small puck like wooden piece with seven holes through it on the end of a 12" rod.

We knew the rules, when we broke them and got caught we didn't cry, unfair or child abuse, we took the punishment knowing full well it could have been avoided. The last year I was at that school I got "four of the best", six of us did, we had decided to climb the swimming pool wall and go swimming in the nude at night. Kids think adults are stupid, these Brother were responsible for our wellbeing and after years of teaching boys knew every trick in the book, we got caught. It was reckless and dangerous and we knew it but we had agreed it was worth the punishment.

Non of us ever regretted the education, felt abused or required therapy. We did not became delinquents, wife or child abusers. The Brothers were strict but they were excellent educators, given the opportunity and means I would have problem sending my kids to the same school, of course it no longer exist and if it did it would have been shut down or converted to a safe-space!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234