Thread: Ruger PC Carbine from Wanstall's

CGN Regular

Ruger PC Carbine from Wanstall's

Just got one, and some mixed feelings.

Firstly, I'm anal about not buying a gun off an open rack. So I specifically asked the sales at Wanstall's if they had one not from the rack. (I don't actually know anything about Wanstall's, they may not even have a rack !)

However, they promised in writing it was from stock. Invoice said it would be delivered on the 8th. Waited in all day, and half of the 9th. Phoned Wanstall's and was told it wasn't shipped. Got it today, 10th.

On receipt the box and wrapping had a toonie size hole in it. I imagine it happened during transit.

So, I open the box to find;

Gun not in plastic wrap.
    Chamber plug loose in box.
    Hex wrenches awry

The first thing I wanted to do was change out the mag well. I have watched all the 'You Tubes' about changing it out so took the gun apart, Heard something fall and found a small spring on the table. Just could not work out where it had come from. Checked out the parts diag and eventually decided it was from the bolt hold open.

Searched around and found a small pin. Even more confused. Eventually discovered the hold-open lever, and re-assembled. Nowhere in the instructions, or on the Tube does anyone mention this is going to fall out when you take the gun apart. Poor.

Anyway, because of the disarray in the box I thought I would patch the barrel. Three Hoppes patches later it is clean(ish)

I understand guns get tested before they leave the factory, but this gun was just plain dirty.

I know guns are serial number checked before they are sent out, but at least make an attempt at getting the gun to look new.

So not very impressed. However, that is not to say that the rifle itself doesn't impress me. It looks sturdy and well made. Heavy for a 'nine', but balanced. Popped my old Vortex Strike Fire on it. Can juuuuust co-witness with the rather good iron sights. I'm looking forward to shooting it, and don't expect to be disappointed.

Like I said, I'm anal about new guns being 'new'. I don't like anyone messing with my guns, and someone did with this one.

TJ

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kingjenky's Avatar
    Was it the new style with the full length hand guard?
    We are all so politically correct!!!! its gonna ruin us all......

Hey TJ...sorry to hear of your misfortunes with your new PC C. (Just love mine!!!)
    Kinda of a "lunch bag let down" . When you think you're getting a new toy only to find out someone has played with it first.
    I've walked into a store with full intention on buying a new rifle...only to find out the only one left is the one on display...at a reduced price....Ahhh hang on..I got this...NO Thank You. And left the store.
    There's something about getting a "New" rifle...Not "New to Me rifle"
    Did you get a hold of Wanstalls an ask what happened?
    Would have maybe been better to call them first...

It's a war to remain healthy in a society that requires you to be sick. Russel Band

Quote Originally Posted by Kingjenky View Post
    Was it the new style with the full length hand guard?
    I don’t think these are in Canada yet.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kingjenky's Avatar
    I’m excited......glock sticks and drums with the new look....hard to pass up now!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pc9 View Post
    I don’t think these are in Canada yet.
    We are all so politically correct!!!! its gonna ruin us all......

Quote Originally Posted by Kingjenky View Post
    I’m excited......glock sticks and drums with the new look....hard to pass up now!!
    I know I can’t wait either. They look awesome
    OP Sorry to derail your post

CGN Regular
    Wanted to pickup a "old version" but damn now I have to wait! That hand guard is sick.

Modern PPSh-41 w/ a drum!

I don't think any manufacturers clean after proofing/zeroing, every new gun I picked up in recent memory was pretty dirty from the factory.

Expried Business Member
    Our contact info can be found on our website. We cant help you if you don't give us the chance.

CONTACT INFO