Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Target Sports Canada

If you shoot during the weekdays only then Target also offers whats called an associate membership. Its something like 100 dollars annually and then about 35 dollars whenever you drop in for a shoot. Its a relatively inexpensive way to join and doesnt preclude you from spending you money elsewhere. I've never had an issue getting a lane and find the staff are good overall. Of course everyone's experience is different, and unfortunately we dont have a tonne of great options in the GTA. Best of luck!

Just pre registered at tirpc looks awesome and Innisfil is on my short list of places to move. Might become moot if I get the farm I want anyway

Mostly weekday shooting so I ammgoing to ask about the associate, and your right it allows me to go elsewhere with minimal loss.

Quote Originally Posted by cha0s0ne View Post
    Mostly weekday shooting so I ammgoing to ask about the associate, and your right it allows me to go elsewhere with minimal loss.
    As an associate member of TargetSports I know for a fact that you will not be able to use the facilities on weekends with an associate membership.

I have tried to ask many times, and even if you go with a full member on a weekend, they will not allow you your own lane, busy or not, the two members one full, one associate will share a lane.

As for the facility itself, it is fairly good. We don't have too many options in the GTA, and you get what you pay for.
    Some of the target retrieval machines are very slow, and some are almost non-working.
    This can be incredibly frustrating, so make sure to test the target fetcher before you unlock/unpack your toys. (relevant esp. because as per the rules, you must un-case at the lane, with muzzle in a safe direction. (good rule btw))

The pros:
    Close to GTA
    Indoors so weather is a non-issue
    They don't care how frequently you choose to shoot your cartridges (mag dumps are almost encouraged! )
    In-building gun shop has a decent selection of new/used/ammo , and parts/mags

The cons:
    Full membership is IMO too expensive for what they provide (they are a business first, and a 'gun club' second, as mentioned in this thread)
    Air filtration/exhaust definitely leaves a little bit to be desired. I can stand it, but I only stay 3 hours max, and probably once a month. If you were there often, 2-3 times a week every week of the month, I would look into other options or a gas mask style of personal air filter.
    They are often extremely busy , especially at peak hours
    There are some ND's in some of the lanes benches (indicating that some 'members' are not qualified to use firearms) I have not seen anyone behaving poorly or unsafely though, in my 10 or so visits.
    Some of the target fetchers are slow or broken, and they seem not to care about fixing.

Hope this helps!

-J

ps - I was thinking of going there today to shoot. If anyone want to meet up there, PM me with a suggested time, and Ill try to accomodate/arrange.
    Another wave of propaganda, and a new strain of BULLSHHT!!!

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink! -unknown

CGN Ultra frequent flyer squidxm's Avatar
    Location location location. They can charge what they charge because of its proximity to Toronto. Not the best facility, but it’ll do. No rapid fire restriction like others in the area, malfunctioning equipment is common and I can blame my stupidity on lead exposure in there. Choices are just plain limited in Toronto because of stupid rules. That said, someone open a range on the north side of Steeles Ave please.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trinimon's Avatar
    Target supposedly upgraded the range filtration system but it's always stuffy in there. There are two large fans running but not sure that's just keeping the dust airborne - not good. The lightning is still pretty dim so if you got old eyes like me, it's hard to get a clear sight picture. But it is 20min from my house and I've not had any issues with the staff there.
    CSSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharked View Post
    Target Sports is not a real club/range its a for profit retail shop trying to make as much money as possible. The facilities are old and dangerous, the staff are rude and incompetent, and the owner lives in Alberta and doesn't care. He even tried to get people to buy the place so he could walk away. The owner is also responsible for the whole Swiss Arms reclassification, he is defiantly not someone you want to support by giving your money.

Sharon is nice but you have to buy a share, which I think are above $10,000 now, Barrie is probably the best club within 1 hour of Toronto, but the waiting list is years long.

There is a club opening soon in Innisfil you could check out: https://www.tirpc.ca/
    wow shots fired

Quote Originally Posted by Sharked View Post
    Target Sports is not a real club/range its a for profit retail shop trying to make as much money as possible. The facilities are old and dangerous, the staff are rude and incompetent, and the owner lives in Alberta and doesn't care. He even tried to get people to buy the place so he could walk away. The owner is also responsible for the whole Swiss Arms reclassification, he is defiantly not someone you want to support by giving your money.
    Quoting for truth...

There is also Gagnon Shooting Centre in Oshawa that is accepting members.

Agreed and support a business that has good customer service, like Gangons.
    I haven't gone back to target in over 3 years.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast