Thread: Prescription shooting glasses question - Progressive ADD of +0.50?

Prescription shooting glasses question - Progressive ADD of +0.50?

Hey all,

Looking to buy a pair of Wiley X prescription sunglasses from FramesDirect. My prescription calls for an ADD of +0.50 with, I guess, progressive lenses?
    I guess it's a very very light progressive. So light that I can't find anywhere online that even sells progressive lenses with it that low. Most start at +1.0, framesdirect starts at +0.75 which I guess is better.

I've seen some people on some sites just say go ahead and get the +0.75, but these will be specifically shooting glasses. Will that mess me up?

I've also seen people say that since it's so low, you might as well just not get progressives and just skip the ADD at all. But again, with shooting, is it going to be even worse? Or maybe better? I don't know.

Hope someone who knows more about lens prescriptions & shooting can help me out. Haha. Primarily I shoot handgun and ironsights, but the odd time and AR with a typical 1-6x if it matters.

Thanks

Not sure if this is very helpful, because my prescription for ADD is +1.75, plus I am a new shooter and I am shooting rifles only, no handguns.

What I have seen is that shooting irons is not very easy for me, at least on the SKS that I am using. I have progressive glasses and I can either see clear the target and the front sight (on the distance part of the lens) or the rear sight (on the close part of the lens). I am getting better results by focusing on the front sight and seeing the rear sight blurry.

Anyway, I prefer using a scope, because there is one focus plane instead of two.

Anyone have any insight? Looking to make a purchase and either go with no ADD or just the +0.75 that they offer..

What I recommend doing is getting a cheap pair or two of glasses from sites like below and seeing how they fit. You can order with or without ADD and see what works best.
    https://www.glassesusa.com/
    https://www.goggles4u.com/
    https://www.zennioptical.com/

CGN Regular
    Been shooting with progressives for over ten years, 2.00 and 2.25, so way stronger than yours. I find they don't influence my shooting at all. Once you get used to them, it is extremely natural. Shotguns, rifles, handguns....all good.

A .25 increase is not very much, probably won't even notice it. On the other hand, because your prescription is so low, you could probably use regular glasses too. I can get regular glasses from zenni for 80 bucks, progressives for about 120. Get one of each, nice to have regular glasses for watching tv when you are in the recline position.

Quote Originally Posted by memaquay View Post
    Been shooting with progressives for over ten years, 2.00 and 2.25, so way stronger than yours. I find they don't influence my shooting at all. Once you get used to them, it is extremely natural. Shotguns, rifles, handguns....all good.

A .25 increase is not very much, probably won't even notice it. On the other hand, because your prescription is so low, you could probably use regular glasses too. I can get regular glasses from zenni for 80 bucks, progressives for about 120. Get one of each, nice to have regular glasses for watching tv when you are in the recline position.
    Funny you say that, my experience is something different. I have very light progressive lenses. My actual everyday glasses are what I wear to the range, as they’re large and already safety lenses.

I find when shooting, handguns or rifles, that I always end up using the top part, (non progressive) part of my glasses for site picture. When I try using the bottom part of the lens with both eyes open, I find it very disorienting.