Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holster Certification Course ?

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmGunGuy View Post
    Not sure of the point. You can't carry loaded guns in holsters outside the range area anyway.
    What a fantastic way to think...
    Left wing, right wing, they belong to the same bird.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by newtothis View Post
    I contacted my range and they said they hire a third party to train the members, but I have to wait a few months until they have a full class. I was trying to do it in a couple of weeks. I am located in Toronto. I will check that website. Thank you
    If this is a requirement of your club, you should confirm that the club will recognize any outside training that you may hire.

It's just for my personal benefit and practicing at the range. I'm looking forward to it
    If thats all its for, then you should know there are no nationally recognized holster training courses. It doesn't exist.

Don't let the BB enthusiasts fool you. BB is not a holster course. Its a how to compete in IPSC course. IPSC requires the use of a holster and so yes this course covers holster use, but it in respect of IPSC. Likewise, IDPA also has its on intro course, again, it is intro to IDPA.

Holsters aren't that complicated. I taught my 6 year old how to use a holster in 3 minutes. Watch any tex Grubner video, and do the opposite of what he says, and you should be good to go.

Not to be little your interests, but did you need a sling course to use a sling with your rifle? Holsters are pretty basic.

That said, training is always a good thing, and I readily encourage to seek out anyone that is proficient and obtain instruction. Trouble is, there is no official way to vet if people are good or not. You basically have to check their resume, if available, and watch them teach/shoot, and judge for yourself if they are good to go.

Gun laws in Canada, and particularly the CFOs who oversee the ranges, significantly stifle this type of training.

Not sure of the point. You can't carry loaded guns in holsters outside the range area anyway.
    Yes you can. It is lawful to possess/carry ANY firearm loaded ANYWHERE that it is lawful to discharge it. If it is lawful to discharge a firearm on your property, then it is lawful to carry a loaded firearm in a holster on your property.

The problem regarding restricted firearms is WHERE you can lawfully possess them at all, but that is a separate issue. Further, there is a grocery list of firearms, such as pellet guns, and antiques, that are not subject to requirements for Authorizations to Transport under S 93 and S 95 of the criminal code, either of which can be possessed loaded in a holster just about anywhere.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chuckbuster's Avatar
    Not far enough north of Premier Orville Reddenbacher
    I'm not sure how widespread the practice is, but at some ranges in Ontario, you can't even have an uncased restricted firearm off the firing line. You have to bring your case to the line, take your gun out for use and then do the reverse when you are finished. So in effect, the gun is not to be seen unless it is at the firing line.
    Look to your front! Mark your target when it comes.

CGN Regular
    Mike Brake. Tactical training solutions.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckbuster View Post
    I'm not sure how widespread the practice is, but at some ranges in Ontario, you can't even have an uncased restricted firearm off the firing line. You have to bring your case to the line, take your gun out for use and then do the reverse when you are finished. So in effect, the gun is not to be seen unless it is at the firing line.
    My club has multiple bays. You can transport an unloaded firearm in a holster from bay to bay on foot, but not by car. We have enough sensible people at our club to know that a holstered firearm is a safe firearm. I believe this rule was implemented after negotiation with the CFO. We run a lot of action matches, from IPSC, to IDPA, to Cowboy, etc.
    Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is sort of an advance auction sale of stolen goods. HL Mencken. 1919.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Chuckbuster's Avatar
    Not far enough north of Premier Orville Reddenbacher
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron SS View Post
    My club has multiple bays. You can transport an unloaded firearm in a holster from bay to bay on foot, but not by car. We have enough sensible people at our club to know that a holstered firearm is a safe firearm. I believe this rule was implemented after negotiation with the CFO. We run a lot of action matches, from IPSC, to IDPA, to Cowboy, etc.
    Common sense and practicality, even when combined with the requisite dosage of safety, are often lacking in Canadian firearms laws and associated regulations, and unfortunately we as a community are sometimes guilty of piling on; albeit usually out of fear of the CFO.
    Look to your front! Mark your target when it comes.

Hi everybody, does anyone have any information about holster certification courses? (location or website suggestions?) thank you
    Not sure if you from Ontario but I did my BB last summer and a weekend of shooting is worth doing to safely use a holster at your range. As stated earlier, it is definitely foreplay to get into ipsc as much as it is for safe holster use, but in most cases it's the first safety course you take with your rpal. Did it with about 12 others, half from other clubs. It was refreshing to spend a weekend with likeminded people who are all rocking different setups, that as long as you're not an #######, you get a chance to shoot guns you only dream of. I walked in with a stock 9mm glock and got to shoot an sti, sig,walther, 1911, orange and blue cz, let alone a 40 and 45 cal.

https://www.ipsc-ont.org/wordpress/?page_id=410

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Hi everybody, does anyone have any information about holster certification courses? (location or website suggestions?) thank you
    I contacted my range and they said they hire a third party to train the members, but I have to wait a few months until they have a full class. I was trying to do it in a couple of weeks. I am located in Toronto. I will check that website. Thank you
    It's just for my personal benefit and practicing at the range. I'm looking forward to it
    Another excellent firearms instructor to consider is Dave Young, of C.A.P.S.. <https://www.caps-training.com/>

He wrote the book on defensive firearm ownership and use in Canada, Reasonable and Necessary.

Currrently, Reasonable and Necessary is out-of-print, but it's also highly recommended (if you can find a copy).

"Your gun. Your ammo. No excuses."
    Last edited by Wendell; 07-30-2020 at 10:53 PM.
    Kyle Defoor talks about Mindset:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vPCqMo9TCg

I used to take these courses and I liked them so much that I decided to write my research paper based on these courses, because I was sure that it would be useful for many people. To make this process easier for me, I decided to use the services of WritersPerHour, but when I read their review at https://essayservicescanner.com/writersperhour-review/ I realized that their writers are quite irresponsible, and I was not happy at all, so I decided to rely on my own strength and I succeeded. That's cool
    Last edited by Olan; 12-05-2020 at 04:33 PM.

GunNutz
    I am very certain that an IPSC BB is only needed by a Canadian to shoot a santioned IPSC match in Canada.
    Some clubs or matches may decide on their own to accept the BB as a holster qualification for some match they run.
    You will find differences whereever you go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast