Thread: First Restricted transfer wait times in Quebec?

First Restricted transfer wait times in Quebec?

Hi all,

Can anyone please share a current estimation of the timeframe for a first-time purchase (at a local store) restricted firearm to transfer?

My transfer was initiated on April 5. I felt it was a bit long, so I called QC CFO, and got a “we have a new person doing verifications for semi-auto rifles (read: AR15) and there is a backlog, it’ll take some time, be patient”. Just wondering if it is real or just a wait and see then call again situation, as I am pretty sure I have seen new people get their transfer within days on the forums.

Thank you,
    Mathieu

Abusive wait time for the RPAL approval, abusive wait time for just getting a freakin' card printed and now, you tell me there's abusive delay to get a gun transfered to you even if you have your valide RPAL on hand?

Tomorow will be day 77 of my PAL to RPAL upgrade application. I begin to think I'll be lucky if I can own and shoot an handgun in a range next winter.

We really live in the a$$h0le of North America.
    Born to Hunt... Forced to Work!!!

In Quebec we are not lucky... Still waiting my RPAL aswell... I might stop thinking about it... so time pass faster
    Ladies, If your guy doesn't know how to shoot a gun. You Have A Girlfriend
    - CCFR and FQT Member

In Quebec the CFO makes people wait for AR15 transfers because and I quote "there war rifles"
    It took three weeks for my transfer to be approved. So far you have waited almost two months, maybe its time to get the ombudsman involved.

I thought I'd share...

I bought my first restricted handgun on july 8th 2021 from a gun store in Montreal, Quebec. Application for transfer was sent out immediately.
    Rcmp transferred my application to Surete du Quebec (SQ) the next day. I emailed the SQ my proof of club membership as requested.
    I have my restricted license since 2017. I just never got around to actually buying a firearm.

4 weeks later... I call the SQ to see if everything is allright with my application. The officer tells me "yes everything seems fine. We have all the info. All that is left is for us to call your references" (who they already called when I did my license but hey why not a second time). "We have a lot of applications and it is normal that it takes time...". Thank you officer, I shall wait some more...
    The owner of the store from where I bought the handgun told me it usually takes 3 to 10 business days -_-

After the 9th week of waiting, I got fed up and researched this forum and found out about "ombudsman". I had to google search that word because I had no idea what that meant and tadaaa, I found out that here in Quebec it is called "Protecteur du Citoyen". So I filed a complaint using their online form on September 9th.

Now here is the interesting part. My reference (1 of 2 references) was called the next day on September 10th.
    I got my transfer papers by email on September 11th.

Now either that is one hell of a coincidence or ombudsman version Quebec is amazingly efficient.

I was too curious. I called Protecteur du Citoyen and the lady that received my complaint told me she sent out an email to the SQ right away and they asked her for my birth date. She said she didn't get any news back since.

So was it finally my turn or did ombudsman bring my application back from the dead?

Same frustrating experience here

After going through the RPAL and Loi 9 courses and paperwork (signatures and so forth) I waited 7 months to receive my RPAL, now I've been waiting 7 weeks for a CFO transfer, I've called twice now and they tell me everything okay with my transfer but won't say where they are at with it and despite my being very pleasant with them they get annoyed that I'm asking how much longer it will take. None of my references have been called. Perhaps its time I call the Ombudsmen also. Do you happen to have the number here in Quebec? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CDN954 View Post
    After going through the RPAL and Loi 9 courses and paperwork (signatures and so forth) I waited 7 months to receive my RPAL, now I've been waiting 7 weeks for a CFO transfer, I've called twice now and they tell me everything okay with my transfer but won't say where they are at with it and despite my being very pleasant with them they get annoyed that I'm asking how much longer it will take. None of my references have been called. Perhaps its time I call the Ombudsmen also. Do you happen to have the number here in Quebec? Thanks!

You can use their online form:
    https://protecteurducitoyen.qc.ca/en...le-a-complaint

or
    (418) 643-2688
    Toll-free: 1-800-463-5070