Thread: Can I take Rifle Scope with me to enter Canada?

Can I take Rifle Scope with me to enter Canada?

Hi,

I own an ACOG Ta31 scope, cloned, not US army version, can I take it with me in a flight to enter Canadian border? Do I need any paper for it?

BR

It doesn't matter if it is a clone or not. What matters is how it is classified by the US as ITAR compliant or not, many scopes cannot be brought in ( without an import licence). Check many posts on ITAR and Import licence. Save yourself the headache or even worse. DON'T bring it with you on a flight. My 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by Azantys View Post
    It doesn't matter if it is a clone or not. What matters is how it is classified by the US as ITAR compliant or not, many scopes cannot be brought in ( without an import licence). Check many posts on ITAR and Import licence. Save yourself the headache or even worse. DON'T bring it with you on a flight. My 2 cents
    indeed sounds like a headache. I will just sell it to someone domestic. thanks

Where are you bringing it in from? Check that country's export laws as well as Canada's import laws. As pointed out, you personally will have a difficult time exporting anything from the US.

Quote Originally Posted by HooliganD View Post
    Where are you bringing it in from? Check that country's export laws as well as Canada's import laws. As pointed out, you personally will have a difficult time exporting anything from the US.
    not from us. where can i find Canadian import terms regarding scopes?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BlackVoid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by astrodude View Post
    It's the USA. Canada doesn't care about scopes coming in.

If you throw it in a bag and cross the border from US by car, you will be breaking US law not Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by astrodude View Post
    The RCMP say importing firearms parts (like a scope) is not the problem. Exporting it from the country you are leaving could be. I would focus my research there.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVoid View Post
    It's the USA. Canada doesn't care about scopes coming in.

If you throw it in a bag and cross the border from US by car, you will be breaking US law not Canadian.
    OP just said it's not the US and getting caught illegally exporting a scope from the US could land you in a world of hurt due to ITAR.

Yep. ITAR violations are nothing to joke around with. I know this isn't what you want to hear astrodude but get a domestic importer. Questar is just one of many companies that can probably help you. Phone and ask around, facebook or email the gun stores and other businesses around you. Some of them CAN in actual fact deal with ITAR controlled goodies. Others may know another company that can help you out. This way? You don't take the brunt of the liability. Laws constantly change. Omni-bus bills in the U.S. some idiot can sneak anything into any of those and then you're in a world of sh!t.

Last thing you want is a dozen pissed off federal agents booting your door clean off the hinges at 1 o'clock in the morning while you got your pants around your ankles watching p0rnhub
    Keep fighting the good fight!
    CCFR-CSSA-NFA. 12(2), 12(3), 12(4), 12(6.1), 12(7)..... <What???? Okay! Okay I'm dreaming. I'll probably NEVER get to join the PROHIB club.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Papaclaude's Avatar
    As others have said - no issues bringing the scope into Canada. Where you can get in trouble is exporting from the U.S. If it's a clone of the ACOG, probably not worth the hassle.
    It's important to have a good vocabulary. If I had known the difference between the words 'antidote' and 'anecdote,' one of my good friends would still be alive.