Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just an update - What are we up to lately?

CGN Regular
    Unfortunately I can't do video. I have a bunch of proprietary equipment that I probably should patent and it hasn't been done. This equipment gives me a significant competitive advantage. Once I have patents done I will start doing more videos.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer yomomma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheepBrass View Post
    Our sorting line controller is now in service. This should make us about 80% more efficient. I am thinking probably will sort in excess of 2,500 pounds per day now.

Attachment 278879
    Too many buttons, you need to start using an HMI with that plc. You should also add an eWON to all your systems, gives you vpn remote access and report generating.

VPN is great for remote access so you can trouble shoot before sending out a technician.

You can set it up to send you any alarms on the machine so you have an answer by the time the customer phones you.

https://youtube.com/c/YomommasWildlands

CGN Regular
    There are actually only two "buttons" the rest are just status LED as I watch the machine remotely over camera. The rocker switches are just for auto - off - manual for machines in system.

Next machine will have an lcd HMI however the cost was an issue. As a PLC with a 7" panel is $1,200 with taxes vs the $500 I paid for the PLC, expansion module, led, buttons and switches.

I have not gone into eWon, I have no idea even where to start. I have data logging on the actual PLC and I can see cycles, cycle time, and lifetime hours for each piece of equipment. If I had a technician who did repairs and maintenance I could definitely see the value of something like that, however it's just me who does the service on my equipment, hence currently being able to vpn in is of limited value. If loaders in the USA want these, I may have to look at that so I can log in and do programming changes if required.
    Last edited by BlackSheepBrass; 06-05-2019 at 07:27 AM.

CGN Regular
    I have put updated links at the top of the page for people who want to look at the machines a bit more

Never heard of you guys before but when i read this post, what you are doing is very interesting. wish you all the best!

Been wondering: Can you shred brass with primers in it? (No powder, just primers.)

Live Berdan primers are a PIA...
    "Canadians, in this fateful hour, I command you and I trust you to fight as you have ever fought with all your strength, with all your determination, with all your tranquil courage." Sir Arthur William Currie

CGN Regular
    Would be fine to shred. Would I want to shred a million of them, no. a couple of hundred would be fine. Big thing is just not allowing residue to build up.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer yomomma's Avatar
    All programming and controller designs are the intellectual property of Black Sheep Brass. The program or device is not to be modified or duplicated, this will void any expressed or implied warranty.
    Interesting. In my 30 years in the automation field have I rarely come across someone trying to safeguard a program. Neither have I locked any plcs to future access.
    https://youtube.com/c/YomommasWildlands

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by yomomma View Post
    Interesting. In my 30 years in the automation field have I rarely come across someone trying to safeguard a program. Neither have I locked any plcs to future access.
    Everything ships with a programming cable. Its not to protect the program from people seeing it, it is more to protect the equipment from the people. They can see the code with the cable plugged into the PLC, they may not be able to see in a couple of function blocks. It just prevents them from writing to the PLC and prevents wipes / overwrites.

If the end user wants me to unlock it, I will unlock it for them. It is more a case of if I leave it unlocked for them and they change something leaving something inoperable or breaks they may take issue as I didn't protect them from themselves essentially.

The program on the shredder is a bit different and I probably wouldn't unlock "just cause" it as if they play with the wrong settings they could physically damage the machine or its components, and they would be into thousands of dollars to replace parts in a hurry. If they had a PLC tech come in or someone in house to knows what is going on and understands the design limitations then, I would send them the unlock code no sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by yomomma View Post
    I come across it more often than I`d like......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast