DA 50 BMG is getting worn out!

Gatehouse

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Well, the bolt/bolt handle anyway. :)

Round count is about 3000, so it's expected that parts will start to wear out. I'll call Canada Ammo on Monday to see if they have any parts lying around. Failing that, I was thinking of getting a new bolt handle made and maybe new threads for the bolt. The bolt handle threads are basically gone, the bolt threads are still there, but in bad shape.

Hopefully they have some parts, that will be the easiest solution.

All in all I've been very pleased with this rifle. When it was new I shot a few sub MOA groups at 500 yards with it, I haven't shot many groups since, mostly it bangs gongs. Kinda scared to shoot a group now, as I'm sure the barrel has seen some wear! :) I'm not sure what sort of barrel life is expected from a 50 BMG, I expect that round counts for most 50's are pretty low anyway.

For an "affordable" 50 BMG, it's been a real performer. I know some of these rifles had bad chambers, but mine has been great. The ATRS lower has been great too, it's a really nice upgrade.

62447052_10157108633745516_3554933899639390208_n.jpg

62157526_10157108633750516_1699464403784564736_n.jpg

62085976_10157108633730516_548870062782545920_n.jpg

Last edited:
3500 rounds is a very thorough evaluation. It would be interesting to see how it groups. Could try brazing the handle

3500 rnds of .50bmg?!!..... That poor rifle owes you nothin'!!!:sok2

Actually the round count is closer to 3000, I counted some ammo that wasn't shot yet, so edited my post. But yeah....That's very true. I'm also contemplating just buying a new 50 rifle. :)

3500 rounds is a very thorough evaluation. It would be interesting to see how it groups. Could try brazing the handle

You need to be able to remove the handle to remove the bolt with this. So unfortunately brazing won't work in this case.

Last edited:
It doesn't thread in very far now does it. Kinda surprised that lasted as long as it did.

I think the threaded shank used to be longer. It looks shorter, anyway. So it may have broken and I didn't notice it, which weakened everything and caused this wear.

Lucky you I have been waiting 2 years for my barrel replacement. I don't know what Canam would have for parts unless they cannibalize some parts from the returned firearms waiting for the new barrels.

Parts wear , looks like an easy fix... probably further ahead to upgrade the bolt handle. Mill a new one.. OR ...
Cut and retread sounds cost effective..any how, probably get another 3000 rounds out of that FIX..lol.. giggling
NOW.. to the meat and potatoes...
We would all love to see paper test.. .. 500 yards. Calm day

Would be interesting to see how everything wore , compared to your previous data.. 3000 rounds later would be an interesting test.. 0.02
I think your barrel would still have minor throat erosion, unless you shot that gal hotttn dirty.. good threads to come.

Thanks

Parts wear , looks like an easy fix... probably further ahead to upgrade the bolt handle. Mill a new one.. OR ...
Cut and retread sounds cost effective..any how, probably get another 3000 rounds out of that FIX..lol.. giggling
NOW.. to the meat and potatoes...
We would all love to see paper test.. .. 500 yards. Calm day

Would be interesting to see how everything wore , compared to your previous data.. 3000 rounds later would be an interesting test.. 0.02
I think your barrel would still have minor throat erosion, unless you shot that gal hotttn dirty.. good threads to come.

Thanks

Next time I get some PMC ammo I'll give it a try. That's what I did the initial testing with. I haven't had any for some time, it hasn't been as available as the Federal stuff, and the Federal ammo is a pretty far cry from precision ammunition. :)

Back
Top Bottom