Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: DA 50 BMG is getting worn out!

Dominion Arms is the in house brand name Canada Ammo uses. They've sold chinese made, turkish made and american/canadian made under the DA brand name.
    “A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.” Teddy Roosevelt

Those who beat their swords into plowshares often plow for those who didn't

"To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant." Amos Bronson Alcott

CGN Regular
    Should be able to drill and re thread the bolt one size larger then cut the shank off the bolt and have it re threaded to match. pretty easy for a machine shop.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gatehouse's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Suther View Post
    Wouldn't the point be to lower the cost? Factory 50bmg ain't cheap! (never priced out reloading it mind you, but I know the savings are big with things like 338lapua so I figured 50bmg would be similar?)
    Depends what you want, I think. If loading for precision, I'm sure you can do well reloading. I don't need that precision so reloading standard ball ammo doesn't save you much over just buying it. Plus 50 BMG reloading set up is costly.

Quote Originally Posted by electguy23 View Post
    My da 50 had the same issue .round count is not as high as yours probably in the 1800 to 2000 round range . Contacted Canada ammo they sent me a spare bolt pin and handle for free express post. No bs at all sent in pics explain the issue and that it is often used for prone lesson in the CFSC course that I teach and they rushed the parts out the same day to make sure I didn't have a broken gun on display �� I am convinced the reason I was having issues was hot loads ,backed down my reloads a bit never had issues extracting again and the bolt handle has lasted so far woundering if if you had issues with lake City ammo I had issues in the past with one batch from I run guns
    That's good to hear, that's the easiest solution, if they have some parts. The Federal lake city stuff seems pretty inconsistent in loads. Some sure seem hot.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD81 View Post
    I always assumed anything DA (which is actually made in China) was garbage.... What is the general consensus on this upper? When it came out I decided to pass because it seemed too good to be true but maybe I was wrong?
    Canada Ammo sources stuff from many places, not just China. These 50 BMG uppers have no Chinese parts, from what I understand the barrel is made by Mossberg in the USA and the rest of the upper is made/assembled in Canada.
    375 Ruger is the NEW KING of the .375's. ALL HAIL THE NEW KING!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatehouse View Post
    Depends what you want, I think. If loading for precision, I'm sure you can do well reloading. I don't need that precision so reloading standard ball ammo doesn't save you much over just buying it. Plus 50 BMG reloading set up is costly.
    and time consuming

That's good to hear, that's the easiest solution, if they have some parts. The Federal lake city stuff seems pretty inconsistent in loads. Some sure seem hot.
    if it is m33 is should be consistent. The xm33 sold under the American eagle name was rejected by the contract it was loaded for for some reason, that is why the x designation.
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

The XM American Eagle stuff seems to be what's available from the distributors right now. I wish the PMC would start showing up in quantity like it used to be!

Canada Ammo sources stuff from many places, not just China. These 50 BMG uppers have no Chinese parts, from what I understand the barrel is made by Mossberg in the USA and the rest of the upper is made/assembled in Canada.
    Send the whole gun to CanadaAmmo so I can play with it buddy.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Brian46's Avatar
    The XM American Eagle stuff seems to be what's available from the distributors right now. I wish the PMC would start showing up in quantity like it used to be!
    Reliable shows pmc in stock
    If it's either loud, obnoxious, fast, hated by the general population or any combination of these, I OWN IT!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    And here we all are playing with our 9mm...

Hope you make another group test when you get some decent ammos. I'm also curious to see how much 3000+ rounds have worn out the barrels.

CGN Regular
    Heli coil, thin wall keyed insert, tap deeper for same thread or try going bigger or switching mm to inch

I know I promised an accuracy update but was stuck using the Federal XM stuff which was never very accurate. A few months ago I was finally able to get stocked up on PMC which is much better ammo in my opinion. But everywhere was snowed in until recently so it took me some time to actually get around to shooting some groups. The rifle now has around 4000 rounds through it, to be honest I have completely lost count.

When it was new using this ammo it would shoot MOA or better 3 shot groups and slightly larger (1.2 MOA) for 5 shot groups. Which I always thought was just fine for a budget 50 cal using mass produced ammo. Here's the latest- 6 shot group, 470 yards, 8.43", 1.71 MOA. Not bad at all I think!

Last edited by Gatehouse; 04-10-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast