Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: 2019 Gopher Safari

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Got Juice?'s Avatar
    Today was fairly decent. Light was bright and good atmospherics. Boiling mirage made some long distance shots impossible though. I gave up on the 150m plus ones. So all the hits I got were 100 and closer (more or less)

Had I been out in the AM instead of afternoon, I am certain the mirage would have been close to nil.

So, I had a GREAT day shooting, too bad the shooter was NOT having a good day. HF was only 60% at range, although to be honest, I did have some wind, but since it was steady I could have pushed a hold, but it is not so simple with a duplex reticle.

So I have only me to blame for the performance or lack thereof.

Still, fun day!!!!
    Envy green is not a color well worn. Might want to quit while you're ahead

CGN Ultra frequent flyer joe-nwt's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .22LRGUY View Post
    Ranchers I've talked to in AB hate badgers even more than gophers. If I remember the conversations right, high gopher populations attract the badgers who hunt them. Might seem like an advantage, but most gopher holes are NOT big enough to be problematic to livestock. Badger holes~I've seen plenty of those that a telephone pole would fit in with room to spare. So, in the wild...they play a role in this capacity. On working ranches, badgers are not held in high regard. To put it mildly.

I've only ever seen a few of them out there myself...but have seen the damage they do plenty of times, and on lots of properties.
    I've shot a couple badgers over the years but only one's that won't take no for an answer. Self defense, I swear. But I have never shot one just because it was there. I dunno, I guess I just figured they were minding their own business, hunting like I was. Never shyt on the hood of the truck or peck at things unattended in the box....... But I can understand the farmers point of view.

As a side note, this was the first year in forever I didn't actually see a badger while gophering. I always thought they hunted at night, and that a daytime sighting meant the badger had to work longer hours for dinner. Maybe with so many gophers they don't have to hunt during the day?

Side note 2, last year I spied a badger peeking out from under some brush about 200yards away from where I was standing. Don't know what kind of sound it made but suddenly about 75 gophers between us stood up and stared at the badger. I started whacking gophers in the backs of their heads and still they stared at that badger. Weirdest thing ever.
    ...I don't like making plans for the day because then "premeditated" gets thrown around the courtroom.

Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Got Juice? View Post
    YoDave Rest one of the best out there bar none, and the old warhorse. CZ452 with the CHEAPEST bushnell you can buy. But it gets the job done.

And yes, my elevated position is standing in the box of the truck.

That is a great set up!

KGL

Quote Originally Posted by Korth Group Ltd View Post
    That is a great set up!

KGL
    I'll snap a couple with the Match Rifles.

Note the neighbor has deliberately overgrazed the field for me... the little brown whistlepigs have NO cover....

Shooting blanket to keep you cool and not scratch the finish and allows for fast L-R movement. Stake holes contain the umbrella, Cooler contains bevs and food. Rack of ammo, Gun.

Pure Bliss.

This is on a Private Drive..... so I can be on this road shooting whilst on the roof. If it were a shared drive or B/C/D road, I would be on the farmers land.

Great FOV and Vantage point. And ROCK steady.
    Last edited by Got Juice?; 06-12-2019 at 07:32 PM.

I ask the farmers what they want done with badgers. Some want them whacked, some ask to leave them alone, and some are undecided. I shot for six days on a field of approx. 80 acres. There had to be 500 badger holes on that field. It was a hell of a mess. The young farmer didn't really want me to shoot badgers. I saw one a couple of evenings checking around.
    GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
    It’s too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
    EOW CST. Heidi Stevenson, 11 Troop. RIP troopmate

Quote Originally Posted by Korth Group Ltd View Post
    LOL, if only we had a need for even part time gopher shooters.

KGL
    haha We have a few guys out our way that will pay you to come and kill the rodents! THOUSANDS of them!
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Quote Originally Posted by ZEN403 View Post
    haha We have a few guys out our way that will pay you to come and kill the rodents! THOUSANDS of them!
    Please send me their info, I would be absolutely interested!!! No pay required unless they want to throw in for a brick or 2 of ammo

Quote Originally Posted by kjohn View Post
    I ask the farmers what they want done with badgers. Some want them whacked, some ask to leave them alone, and some are undecided. I shot for six days on a field of approx. 80 acres. There had to be 500 badger holes on that field. It was a hell of a mess. The young farmer didn't really want me to shoot badgers. I saw one a couple of evenings checking around.
    Where gopher numbers are high there will be badgers. Thin out the gophers and you don't get badger problems like that.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456