Totally breaking down an AR15?

GivenRight

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it necessary to totally take apart the rifle once in a blue moon to wipe everything with clp to prevent rust? Or is field stripping enough maintenance? Do y’all recommend buying the tools and learning how to completely assemble an AR from scratch?

Cheers

No need. I mean it's nice to take out the trigger mech to get rid of the grime every so often, but that's nothing some brake clean and compressed air can't take care of. On the other hand... it only requires a punch to take out the trigger mech. But besides that, no need to take it apart any further than field stripped.

I just spray down with oil, use a tooth brush and brush. Then rinse under hot water, hit it with compressed air, to dry. And add some drops of oil, on the moving parts.

No need. I mean it's nice to take out the trigger mech to get rid of the grime every so often, but that's nothing some brake clean and compressed air can't take care of. On the other hand... it only requires a punch to take out the trigger mech. But besides that, no need to take it apart any further than field stripped.

Yes brake clean the wonder potion.

"Need"? definitely not. A lot of people never clean their ARs at all and never have a problem. They may be dirty as hell on the inside, but people just keep on shooting them.

Most people likely crack it in half, break down the bolt carrier group, clean those parts, quickly clean the rest with oil and Q tips, and run a pull through down the barrel a couple times.

I would say that very few people ever completely take everything apart to clean it (gas tube coming off, every single lower receiver pin and spring out to fine clean, etc). There just isn't a need for it.

Most modern ammo is fairly clean and it's very rare that you'll get enough buildup to actually cause stoppages, so most people just clean it because they like to take care of their stuff.

I followed what my manual recommended me, which is to clean after every range session. I honestly don't mind cleaning my rifle personally, flip on something on youtube and off I go cleaning my rifle.

Back
Top Bottom