Thread: Totally breaking down an AR15?

Totally breaking down an AR15?

Is it necessary to totally take apart the rifle once in a blue moon to wipe everything with clp to prevent rust? Or is field stripping enough maintenance? Do y’all recommend buying the tools and learning how to completely assemble an AR from scratch?

Cheers

No need. I mean it's nice to take out the trigger mech to get rid of the grime every so often, but that's nothing some brake clean and compressed air can't take care of. On the other hand... it only requires a punch to take out the trigger mech. But besides that, no need to take it apart any further than field stripped.

I just spray down with oil, use a tooth brush and brush. Then rinse under hot water, hit it with compressed air, to dry. And add some drops of oil, on the moving parts.
    April 8th, remember 22 Bravo. Take a min to remember the Fallen.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Juster's Avatar
    No. When I was in the army it was called "illegal disassembly". It causes unnecessary wear and tear. And things flying across the room never to be seen again.
    Instead of being troubled by what is really evil, people make a big fuss over what is merely conventionally evil. -Diogenes

Quote Originally Posted by wood973 View Post
    No need. I mean it's nice to take out the trigger mech to get rid of the grime every so often, but that's nothing some brake clean and compressed air can't take care of. On the other hand... it only requires a punch to take out the trigger mech. But besides that, no need to take it apart any further than field stripped.
    Yes brake clean the wonder potion.

"Need"? definitely not. A lot of people never clean their ARs at all and never have a problem. They may be dirty as hell on the inside, but people just keep on shooting them.

Most people likely crack it in half, break down the bolt carrier group, clean those parts, quickly clean the rest with oil and Q tips, and run a pull through down the barrel a couple times.

I would say that very few people ever completely take everything apart to clean it (gas tube coming off, every single lower receiver pin and spring out to fine clean, etc). There just isn't a need for it.

Most modern ammo is fairly clean and it's very rare that you'll get enough buildup to actually cause stoppages, so most people just clean it because they like to take care of their stuff.
    I don’t have a signature block.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Still alive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post

Most people likely crack it in half, break down the bolt carrier group, clean those parts, quickly clean the rest with oil and Q tips, and run a pull through down the barrel a couple times.
    This is what I do. I do it after every use but that’s just me and I like the smell of G96 so it’s a win, win!
    Es wird nie so heiss gegessen, wie es gekocht wird
    CCFR CPC
    Check out dssbca.com for info on TAC rifle matches in the Lower Mainland and the Fraser Valley.

I followed what my manual recommended me, which is to clean after every range session. I honestly don't mind cleaning my rifle personally, flip on something on youtube and off I go cleaning my rifle.