Thread: CSSA Handgun Freeze Legal Action

CSSA Handgun Freeze Legal Action

It is just released:

The Canadian Shooting Sports Association
    Launches Multi-Pronged Lawsuit Against
    Trudeau Government over Handgun Freeze

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE –

November 21, 2022

OSHAWA, ON – The Canadian Shooting Sports Association (CSSA) has launched a multi-pronged lawsuit against the Canadian federal government for its de facto handgun confiscation scheme euphemistically labelled a “handgun freeze.”

The Trudeau government scheme, initiated in various forms by a proposed House of Commons' regulation, an Order in Council and a ministerial discretion order under the Export and Imports Permits Act, affects hundreds of thousands of licensed handgun owners with the ultimate effect of confiscating their property without compensation.

“The Supreme Court is clear on the issue of property confiscation,” said Tony Bernardo, Executive Director of the CSSA. “Compensation must be paid when government confiscates the lawfully acquired property of private citizens, and this government is attempting to circumvent the Criminal Code and longstanding Supreme Court precedent.”

“The Trudeau government attempts to trample on provincial jurisdiction in order to avoid paying compensation to handgun owners. They rendered handguns valueless by freezing the lawful handgun market, then state the only legal recourse is to surrender this property to the government – a clear violation of the laws of succession and vesting of property upon death to a beneficiary.”

Through its attempts to bypass Parliament, the Trudeau government violated Sections 7 and 8 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Constitution Acts, 1867-1982 consolidated, the Firearms Act SC and provincial jurisdiction through the laws of succession and vesting of property upon death to a beneficiary.

“We will hold the Trudeau Liberal government to account in an impartial court of law for its blatant disregard of the civil rights of ordinary Canadians, its contempt for provincial jurisdiction, ministerial overreach, and its repeated violation of the Firearms Act and its supremacy in law,” said Tony Bernardo.

-30-

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Max Owner's Avatar
    Displaced From South Western Ontario, To GP, Alberta. And back again...... And again.
    So hopefully a legal expert (not armchair quarterback) on this forum can comment on the potential of this case.

The good, the bad and ugly.
    Shooter and Collector (kinda)

Never Forget Best Friends.

Aug 30, 2008.
    Dec 29, 2008.

Good
    ⚔️XX⚔️

Quote Originally Posted by Max Owner View Post
    So hopefully a legal expert (not armchair quarterback) on this forum can comment on the potential of this case.

The good, the bad and ugly.
    If we're lucky we'll get someone who can download the relevant materials and read the legalese. RN I'm sure the best we can hope for is armchair until R.Bailey or another decides to research the specific language used.

The good thing is if there are any positive steps in the other lawsuit it could potentially have a bearing here

Excellent

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Ugh, if only it weren't Burlew

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Yeah, not the org I want to lead it and not the lawyer I’d want to be anywhere near it. I also don’t like that the focus seems to be about getting compensation.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    I will wait for Ian Runkle to explain it all on YT.

Cheers
    Moe
    Thank you Stanislav Petrov..... every living thing thanks you.

I want my ability to buy/sell/trade my lawfully obtained property restored not "compensation" taken out of taxpayers pockets.

Anyone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Grove View Post
    I want my ability to buy/sell/trade my lawfully obtained property restored not "compensation" taken out of taxpayers pockets.

Anyone else?
    Yes, 100 percent!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast