Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Dominion Bushcraft axes

CGN Ultra frequent flyer dand883's Avatar
    Kind of late to the game on these axes, but can anyone give a good comparison between the forest axe and camper axe?

What would be the ideal use? Is the camper light to backpack, but too light to be as useful and be better off to get the forest? Is the forest too heavy?

Any input would be appreciated.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer cody c's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dand883 View Post
    Kind of late to the game on these axes, but can anyone give a good comparison between the forest axe and camper axe?

What would be the ideal use? Is the camper light to backpack, but too light to be as useful and be better off to get the forest? Is the forest too heavy?

Any input would be appreciated.
    The smaller one would be better for hiking, though I wouldn't bring an axe hiking, maybe a folding pull saw. If you are driving back roads and overgrown trails get a full sized one, you never want to use a small axe to have to knock down or split a fallen tree into pieces. If your hiking you shouldn't have to do that, only cut wood for a fire and you can usually find smaller dead dry tinder for that anyways. It is nice to have a small one for splitting kindling at home, but if I had to pick just one id take the bigger one, it can stay at home or on the truck however.

This is just for rational behind average use, lumberjacks will say different.

As I understand, the solider are for forest and the lighter are for camping. In this list 2,3,9,10 are for forest. Others-for camping.

Well if I had a choice to whack a Zombie on the head I’d choose one of these lol

I received my camper axe today.

It comes with a 1.25 lbs head and a 21 inch handle. That was the main selling point for me. This is an unusual combination. Maybe unique. Possibly because its not something that many people are looking for. But I like it. I find it much more versatile than hatchets with shorter handle.

I'm no expert on axes, can't tell you if its good or not. The steel is from China. At first I was hesitant to buy it because of that. Not out of quality issues but political concerns. In the end, I figured it was already in Canada and I would end up hurting a canadian retailer rather than chinese producers. So I took a chance. The handle looks okay. The grain is not perfect, but the head being so lightweight I'm not really worried. I'm not gonna use this axe everyday anyway. Maybe thirty days a year. While getting lost in the woods or camping.

The sheath that comes with the axe is cheap, black with silver rivets, and reminds me of something I would expect in a dominatrix dungeon. It's good for safe transport but I'll replace it for something better.

I knew nothing about bushcraft axes before I started shopping for a hatchet. All I knew was hardware store axes and hatchets, with their varnished handles and heads covered in protective paint. This axe might not be a reputed bushcraft axe but it's way better than any hardware store axe I ever used and bought. Better handle and better looks for sure and only about 10 dollars more.

I like my axe. I consider I got a tool of value at a fair price. I would understand anyone finding this review sketchy and suspicious, considering this is my first post on these forums. I didn't feel like posting about guns. It's a bit of a downer these days. I'd rather post about axes right now. I also bought a lot of crap online during the corona craziness. This axe is one of the purchases I don't regret. I really like it.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer The_Sicilian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gargun View Post
    I received my camper axe today.

It comes with a 1.25 lbs head and a 21 inch handle. That was the main selling point for me. This is an unusual combination. Maybe unique. Possibly because its not something that many people are looking for. But I like it. I find it much more versatile than hatchets with shorter handle.

I'm no expert on axes, can't tell you if its good or not. The steel is from China. At first I was hesitant to buy it because of that. Not out of quality issues but political concerns. In the end, I figured it was already in Canada and I would end up hurting a canadian retailer rather than chinese producers. So I took a chance. The handle looks okay. The grain is not perfect, but the head being so lightweight I'm not really worried. I'm not gonna use this axe everyday anyway. Maybe thirty days a year. While getting lost in the woods or camping.

The sheath that comes with the axe is cheap, black with silver rivets, and reminds me of something I would expect in a dominatrix dungeon. It's good for safe transport but I'll replace it for something better.

I knew nothing about bushcraft axes before I started shopping for a hatchet. All I knew was hardware store axes and hatchets, with their varnished handles and heads covered in protective paint. This axe might not be a reputed bushcraft axe but it's way better than any hardware store axe I ever used and bought. Better handle and better looks for sure and only about 10 dollars more.

I like my axe. I consider I got a tool of value at a fair price. I would understand anyone finding this review sketchy and suspicious, considering this is my first post on these forums. I didn't feel like posting about guns. It's a bit of a downer these days. I'd rather post about axes right now. I also bought a lot of crap online during the corona craziness. This axe is one of the purchases I don't regret. I really like it.
    CCFR Member

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123