Thread: Current import and Bill C-71 *Question*

Current import and Bill C-71 *Question*

Just curious where things stand on bill C-71 and the current import. As far as I am aware, it is not yet required to have a "reference number" for non-restricted sales.

Cheers.
    Last edited by L42A1; 07-01-2019 at 12:42 PM.
    93AAĜ1976

The British empire was an incredible achievement. It brought civilisation to the uncivilised.

CGN frequent flyer
    I am sure they will comply with the law in full as any responsible firearms dealer should.

They will have records of who they sold every firearm to, NR or not. Just like is required already for all firearms businesses. Obtainable by a warrant.

When the OIC drops, they will start calling in for reference numbers. That hasn't happened yet.

You or I might practice non compliance, but that's not a viable option for a business - especially one that requires solid relationships on both sides of the border. If you're looking for the government never to know what you bought - don't buy it from a dealer.
    The right to buy weapons is the right to be free.
    Bureaucracy not an instrument of democratic government but, on the contrary, the worst enemy of freedom and democracy.
    If the penalty for a crime is a fine, then that law only applies to the poor.

Interesting, if the gun is purchased today and the law comes into affect on Wed.

Is it going to be called in?

Cheers,
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer caramel's Avatar
    If the conditions change along the way, you can ask for a full refund since it not the same deal.

So close to it, i would not chance any NR purchases but that is just me.
    Yep, fixed wing is great but rotary wing is ... GREAT. Life is good. JP.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aniest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBob View Post
    Interesting, if the gun is purchased today and the law comes into affect on Wed.

Is it going to be called in?

Cheers,
    If the gun is purchased on Monday, the law comes into effect on Wednesday and the item makes it across the border by 11:59pm on Tuesday then I would say "No". From past experience and reading other IRG posts (I could be wrong so I would wait for their reply) they seem to transfer the gun to their Canadian store and then right after that to you before it leaves the USA, but the finalization of applying all applicable Canadian laws seems to happen at crossing the border.

So, simply put, if it can get across the border before the new Canadian law is required to be used by IRUNGUNS, then that law won't be applied to your purchase.

*** again, Internet advise is not only free, but often free of accuracy ***
    Check my "Started Threads" for Equipment Exchange ads: https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/member.php/76158-Aniest

Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    *** again, Internet advise is not only free, but often free of accuracy ***

BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!

Quote Originally Posted by Aniest View Post
    If the gun is purchased on Monday, the law comes into effect on Wednesday and the item makes it across the border by 11:59pm on Tuesday then I would say "No". From past experience and reading other IRG posts (I could be wrong so I would wait for their reply) they seem to transfer the gun to their Canadian store and then right after that to you before it leaves the USA, but the finalization of applying all applicable Canadian laws seems to happen at crossing the border.

So, simply put, if it can get across the border before the new Canadian law is required to be used by IRUNGUNS, then that law won't be applied to your purchase.
    Nope. IRG starts transfers of restricteds before they're in the country. I've received a registration certificate from the RCMP for a restricted that's long been held up by the current permit shenanigans. In the eyes of the government, that gun is already mine. I just don't have it in my possession yet.

Also, C-71 is law, but not in effect yet. So I don't know at the moment if there is anything for the stores to follow. There isn't, yet, for private sales.

And finally, everyone does realize that most stores already keep your information, right? Check your account, you'll see every order you've made from IRG. The new part is that this is now *legally* required, and accessible to police through a warrant. So unless you've been buying all your NRs with cash and no records kept, pretty much every store already has a record of what you've ordered. It's *private* sales where C-71 will have an immediate impact.
    Last edited by hastings1066; 07-01-2019 at 12:43 PM.

Any idea when private sales will have to do the call ins when selling something? Last I heard that’s not happening until October sometimes when it’s all set up.