Thread: Ordering Restricteds in Ontario

Lightbulb Ordering Restricteds in Ontario

Hello!

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post this question, kinda new to the hobby and also the forum, so please be gentle...

Just trying to get some input or clarification as there is a ton of conflicting info out there.

Up until now, I had always been under the impression that anywhere in Canada, to buy or order a restricted, you would need to be a member of a gun club.

The other day was in a gun shop (won't say which as I'd rather not throw anyone under the bus), was looking around at non-restricteds (got myself an SKS!). Was obviously attracted to some of the restricteds they had there.

The guy behind the counter said in Ontario you don't have to be a member of a gun club to buy a restricted and was ready to draw up all the papers right then and there if I wanted to buy one. I know there is obviously still the extended waiting time and such.

So just wondering any input. Is this the case? Are there any online retailers that I could also order a restricted, having my RPAL, but not a membership at a club? Anybody have any experience with this?

Thanks!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    Welcome to CGN. You don't have to be a member of a club, but it sure makes things simpler. You can be a "collector". A status some don't like.

Quote Originally Posted by trebor2880 View Post
    Welcome to CGN. You don't have to be a member of a club, but it sure makes things simpler. You can be a "collector". A status some don't like.
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Who deems the status? Does it basically work that if you are not a member, you are automatically a collector? Or if I ordered a restricted without club membership, does that automatically make me just a collector? Also if I start as a collector, just for the sake of getting it, then get a membership are you always deemed a collector, or does it change?

I'm sorry but I'll admit to having a lot more research to do. Have already heard a lot about these things and trying to put in my own due diligence, but it can be hard when there's a ton of conflicting info and a lot of the laws are vague or over the top to begin with.

Was just considering throwing my hat into the AR ring, more so to support the cause, as I'm very patient anyways and there's already a lot to choose from besides that model.

Thanks again.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer trebor2880's Avatar
    You have to qualify, some how, to get collector status and I believe this allows the police to inspect your collection with notice.
    I'm sure there will be more people commenting who know more than I.

In Ontario you do not need a range membership and you do not need to have collector status either. You have to have intent to be a target shooter. In other words intent to join a range when funds/time/health/wait lists allow it. You can also be using ranges on day passes. The target use ATT allows transport to any range (not sure what c71 will do to this). So no meed for collector status. And this makes sense, many ranges in Ontario are wait listed. One could have put the sport on hold for any number of reasons and let a range membership lapse. Someone challenged Ontario CFO and that is why you do not need a range memebership.

Also if you purchase a restricted just list the intent as target/range use. And if they have a section online for range membership you can put “intend to join X” or “on wait list for X” or “Daily use at X” etc. Any online retailer will then use that info and it will go to the Ontario CFO where, if everything else is in order, should be approved. But you should try to look for a club because once you buy it you’ll want to test it out. I do not know more about collector status but if you intend on using the restricted at some point in time then I would avoid that route.

Alright, thanks so much for the info JonJon and Trebor!

Yeah, my intention is to join a club. It's just a weird time of the year to do so, some are not accepting new memberships, so it's kinda limited. But I think I found one just to get my foot in the door so to speak.

Either way, I'm very patient and can wait if need be. Not one to panic buy or whatever but wanted to support the cause.

On that note are any shops restocking ARs at this point, or would they be waiting to see how all this pans out? I know there are some cheapo ones out there and then of course the high end ones still floating around. Was hoping to grab one of the Ruger AR 556 or S&W M&P15, if anybody knows of any shops withe them in stock. Found one used locally and might just go that route.

Thanks again!