Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The Battlegrounds of the 2019 Election

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine .303 View Post
    It is irrelevant where your from and if your a "good ol boy"...

The mentality of "it doesn't matter if I vote" is toxic.. it spreads and infects others. This is a Democratic Society, everyone's voice needs to be heard and we can accomplish that by actively partaking in the election. Sitting back on your lazy boy and complaining ins't helping anyone. If you do not vote, you have surrendered your right to have an opinion. If you want to sit there and complain you better well bloody vote...
    Exactly! I used to have the "my vote doesn't matter" mentality. In the grand scheme of things will it ever come down to one vote and yours will be the deciding? nope, but if you start thinking that way it will bleed into the other areas of your life. You're giving up before you have even started.

You are what you eat, so to speak.

If voting PPC . And we managed to get EVERY gun owner in Canada to do so they would end up with maybe 5 seats . The greens got 605000 + votes in 2015 and ended up with 1 seat . The PPC needs time to get established . Max was my choice for leader of the Conservatives but for a newly formed party to have any hope of breaking into the top two spots he would need a lot more than 2.2 million votes . How ever 2.2 million members of the Conservatives writing their Mp and every other Conservative Mp in Canada on a weekly basis in regards to scrapping the firearms act and revamping it to make sense and be less of a cluster F... might do some good . Vote as you wish but in this election a split on the conservative side will be disastrous for gun owners.No matter what your affiliation! Write your MP, Write your party, and tell them it is time to stand up for law abiding Canadians!
    acyrologiaphobia – the feer of the incorrect use of english?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick29 View Post
    What has the Conservative party done for us lately? What have they even promised us this time? To leave us alone? BS. The current laws do NOT leave us alone and the C party was totally fine with them for all of Harpers tenure. Scheer is even more Neutral on these issues than Harper was. After what the C party did to Maxime and their obvious aversion to freedom (supporting unfree markets for dairy) I will be voting PPC as every other firearm owner should be doing. Strategic voting gets you the lesser of 2 evils and is not a long term strategy for us.
    Did the Conservatives not abolish the long gun registry, reclassify Swiss Arms and CZs back to non restricted and simplify the ATT process? Did they not support common sense firearms legislation proposed by the CSSA? Rome was not built in a day. As the NDP and the Greens both support the Liberal's stance on firearms a vote for the PPC does nothing but assure the loss of a huge number of firearms and firearm's freedoms, even with if a Liberal minority is elected.

I think 85919080IPSC has it right. Voting in the party of choice is only half the battle. Once they are there we can't go back to sitting on our hands and watching things unfold. We have to hold them accountable. It doesn't matter what party holds power they tend to forget who voted them in and who they are accountable to and proceed with their own agendas. It's up to us to keep them on track. I am as guilty as any but plan to change my tune.

Quote Originally Posted by schwyl View Post
    Yeah Yeah Yeah. Keep telling the good ole alberta boy to vote and make himself feel good when He understands that by time the polls close in alberta the government is already decided for him.
    who do you want representing you in your riding, a dipper or conservative?

Quote Originally Posted by maverick29 View Post
    What has the Conservative party done for us lately? What have they even promised us this time? To leave us alone? BS. The current laws do NOT leave us alone and the C party was totally fine with them for all of Harpers tenure. Scheer is even more Neutral on these issues than Harper was. After what the C party did to Maxime and their obvious aversion to freedom (supporting unfree markets for dairy) I will be voting PPC as every other firearm owner should be doing. Strategic voting gets you the lesser of 2 evils and is not a long term strategy for us.
    a vote for Bernier's vanity project is a vote for the status quo.
    "We are not the kind of country where politicians get to tell the police what to do in operational matters" - Trudeau in Munich, February 17 2020...

CF, CCFR, CSSA, NFA, JP, AF&AM

Quote Originally Posted by wapitiwhacker View Post
    Did the Conservatives not abolish the long gun registry, reclassify Swiss Arms and CZs back to non restricted and simplify the ATT process? Did they not support common sense firearms legislation proposed by the CSSA? Rome was not built in a day. As the NDP and the Greens both support the Liberal's stance on firearms a vote for the PPC does nothing but assure the loss of a huge number of firearms and firearm's freedoms, even with if a Liberal minority is elected. ...
    Let's not forget it was the previous government that brought in minimum sentences for firearms-related offences, which this "make Canadian streets safer" government promptly repealed.
    "We are not the kind of country where politicians get to tell the police what to do in operational matters" - Trudeau in Munich, February 17 2020...

Quote Originally Posted by 1-trident-1 View Post
    who do you want representing you in your riding, a dipper or conservative?
    It will be Mike Lake as it has been for ever.

Like I said. im from alberta so my vote doesn't count for anything. Wake me up at 730pm on election day and let me know who Ont and Que decided was going to run my life the next 4 years.

But I do appreciate the rah rah get out and vote sentiments how ever theres no point.

Just to recap The seat count

Ont 121
    Que 78
    N.S 14
    N.B 11
    NFLD 7
    PEI 4

BC 42
    Alberta 34

Ont and Que Literally have the majority of seats.

It will be Mike Lake as it has been for ever.

Like I said. im from alberta so my vote doesn't count for anything. ...
    There's really no point trying to convince people with your mindset, but here's one more try:

Deciding the winner of an election is not the only way your vote "counts". Being visible is another way it counts.

None of the mainstream parties are driven by any rigid ideology; they shift their platforms to ensure they remain in power. If in your riding, say, a LPC candidate wins or retains his seat but the poll number show a significant increase in CPC votes over last election, he will - completely in the interest of self-preservation, admittedly - tailor his behaviour to reflect that reality in his constituency. Of course he is bound to a degree by party policy, but that's why elected MPs cross the floor or go indie.

All these parties have actuaries and analysts who "read" the overall climate of each riding.

If for the sake of argument that guy wins your riding with a wider margin because conservatives like you "don't bother to vote", he's not getting a clear picture of how many conservatives live in his constituency. He assumes the majority of voters are left-of-centre.

But... If he just squeaks by by a few thousand or a few hundred votes because conservatives get out and vote like never before, that gives him something to think about, if he wants to keep his seat for more than one election cycle. If these guys see a threat, they respond to it. And very few of them are so principled as to stick to their ideological guns if it means losing their power.

So put simply, if there is indication of a blue wave building - even if it doesn't immediately change the power structure in Ottawa - it can have an effect on how the ruling party/parties behave for the next cycle.
    Last edited by BCreserveMP; 07-12-2019 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BCreserveMP View Post
    There's really no point trying to convince people with your mindset, but here's one more try:

Deciding the winner of an election is not the only way your vote "counts". Being visible is another way it counts.

None of the mainstream parties are driven by any rigid ideology; they shift their platforms to ensure they remain in power. If in your riding, say, a LPC candidate wins or retains his seat but the poll number show a significant increase in CPC votes over last election, he will - completely in the interest of self-preservation, admittedly - tailor his behaviour to reflect that reality in his constituency. Of course he is bound to a degree by party policy, but that's why elected MPs cross the floor or go indie.

All these parties have actuaries and analysts who "read" the overall climate of each riding.

If for the sake of argument that guy wins your riding with a wider margin because conservatives like you "don't bother to vote", he's not getting a clear picture of how many conservatives live in his constituency. He assumes the majority of voters are left-of-centre.

But... If he just squeaks by by a few thousand or a few hundred votes because conservatives get out and vote like never before, that gives him something to think about, if he wants to keep his seat for more than one election cycle. If these guys see a threat, they respond to it. And very few of them are so principled as to stick to their ideological guns if it means losing their power.

So put simply, if there is indication of a blue wave building - even if it doesn't immediately change the power structure in Ottawa - it can have an effect on how the ruling party/parties behave for the next cycle.
    Well he won by 30k votes last election and received 65% of the vote....

Edit: No ruling party gives two ####s about Alberta. Only Ont and Que matter

Well he won by 30k votes last election and received 65% of the vote....

Edit: No ruling party gives two ####s about Alberta. Only Ont and Que matter
    Say he wins by 25,000 votes this time. They view that as "losing ground" even if they retain power. They'll try to understand why, in the long-game. Their objective isn't to serve Canadians; their objective is to retain power. Serving Canadians to that end is just a byproduct of the quest for power.

Say for the sake of argument that only half the PAL holders in the country voted in the last election, but every single PAL holder votes this time around. That's a million more (mostly conservative) votes. Do you think that won't go unnoticed in the LPCs strategy sessions? It may not swing an election but it sure as hell will sway LPC policy.

Whatever, just stay home. If you put half the effort into voting that you put into explaining your reasons not to...

Like I said. just turn your guns in now. You don't deserve them. They're just going to take them anyway, right? Nothing you can do about it so don't bother trying.