Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam era M16... Very cool firearm.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    The 1:12" twist on those Norinco pencil barrels is probably the best feature. Works very very well for 55gr ammo and its practically the best dedicated 5.56mm twist you can find for 22LR conversions (which usually need a 1:16").

Did the first M16s have forward assist? or was that added because of vietnam?
    ¯¯̿̿¯̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿'̿̿̿̿̿'̿̿̿)͇̿̿)̿̿̿̿ '̿̿̿̿̿̿\̵͇̿̿\=٩(- ̮̮̃-̃)۶=o/̵͇̿̿/'̿̿ ̿ ̿̿

Quote Originally Posted by umdiddly View Post
    You should watch this video.

There are only two types of people in this world, those who want to control others, and those who have no such desire. The former is the enemy of humanity.

Stand together. Stand strong. Don't give them an inch for they will take a mile.

The first one's didn't It was added later

Very nice! Love the old school rifles. Whish Brownell were selling their clones here. I have all the parts now to build my rifle, just waiting for a few more parts to get here. Will post when i am done build.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer #1bcshooter's Avatar
    Ditch the hand guards !
    I've built lot's of early clones . still have most of them
    Triangle hand guards are not that hard to find , the triangle end cap is a little harder to find .
    Plus you need to re & re the FSB which can be a pain but can be done .
    Just remember they are tapered pins

Pre-orders are horrible for everyone involved. They never go smooth. We will not be doing a pre-order to bankroll this project.

Nice collection. What's that optic?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer #1bcshooter's Avatar
    What else !

Pre-orders are horrible for everyone involved. They never go smooth. We will not be doing a pre-order to bankroll this project.

Great, now I have to order one.

What strikes me most about this configuration is how light they are.
    Compared to my modern ARs, they feel almost half the weight.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BattleRife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by umdiddly View Post
    Technically, actual "M16" rifles do not ever have the forward assist, regardless of when they were made. The M16 was the official rifle of the Air Force, and they insisted on having no forward assist. They only changed this attitude with the adoption of the M16A2 in the mid 80's.

Conversely the Army insisted their rifles must have the forward assist. The rifles made under contract for them were designated XM16E1 or M16A1. And yes, they had the forward assist from day one, before the first US combat troops ever officially entered Vietnam.

Of course the US had all kinds of unofficial involvement in Vietnam before they officially sent in combat troops, and there was lots of use of commercial AR-15 rifles by special forces, military advisors, and the CIA, and these did not have the forward assist.

The Marines and Navy didn't much care one way or the other about the forward assist issue, and when they needed rifles they bought whatever was coming off the line that day, which of course was usually Army rifles, but not always.
    --BattleRife

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast